Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Suguri was always known for her speed. If you were watching figure skating before 2006, you would know this. What does Posture have to do with speed? We are not talkiong about who skates fastest with a good posture here. Arakawa was known for her deep edges. deep edges= speed. We didn't just come up with these names just because they are japanese. They just happened to be Japanese. Yes, Kostner and Kim are also known for their speed. Yes Slutskaya was also fast. So was Lu Chen.
    I'd say Japanese skater who had the best speed across the ice was Ota Yukina.
    I believe speed in figure skating should be evaluated by m/s/strokes, not by m/s. i.e. skaters should gain speed with effortless quality, and maintain it in and out of elements. In such terms, Ota Yukina was truly excellent, and could match today's fastest skaters.

Suguri had decent speed, but no match in terms of effortless qualities, compared to likes of Kostner, Kim, Lepiesto, and Ota. Arakawa was considerably better than Suguri, but didn't belong in top notch IMO.

vCash
    Kim & Kostner
    (Besides...some of finland's skaters : Lepistö & Korpi)
    These ladies have good speed IMO.

BTW,,, Asada! Ando!! Suguri!!!??
    Seriously???
    Oh... come on....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I'd say Japanese skater who had the best speed across the ice was Ota Yukina.
    I believe speed in figure skating should be evaluated by m/s/strokes, not by m/s. i.e. skaters should gain speed with effortless quality, and maintain it in and out of elements. In such terms, Ota Yukina was truly excellent, and could match today's fastest skaters.

Suguri had decent speed, but no match in terms of effortless qualities, compared to likes of Kostner, Kim, Lepiesto, and Ota. Arakawa was considerably better than Suguri, but didn't belong in top notch IMO.
    I think Shizuka is faster than Yukina. Shizuka's strokes are so slow yet, she is moving really fast.

Yukina isn't slow at all but I wouldn't say she was the fastest among the japense skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny81 View Post
    Kim & Kostner
    (Besides...some of finland's skaters : Lepistö & Korpi)
    These ladies have good speed IMO.

BTW,,, Asada! Ando!! Suguri!!!??
    Seriously???
    Oh... come on....
    ok you just made Ando part up.

vCash
    Among the current senior ladies: Kostner, Kim, Lepisto, Rochette, Nagasu, Zawadzki. I remember Suguri also looked definitely pumped up tailgating Kim.

Among the juniors: Sotnikova, and after watching the preliminary at the JWC, I thought Ira Vannut was pretty fast. Can’t wait to see all of them live this weekend!

vCash
    Kostner is really fast, especially when you watch her live. Leonova looked incredibly slow at Euros in Tallinn - I don't know maybe she just skated slow at that particular competition, but she had zero speed on her spirals and step sequences, especially in contrast to Kostner. It's amazing to watch how Carolina gains speed so effortlessly from just couple of crossovers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    Among the current senior ladies: Kostner, Kim, Lepisto, Rochette, Nagasu, Zawadzki.
    Nagasu shows great speed only when she lets it loose. Zawadzki lacks effortless quality yet, but she is only a junior and her best is yet to come.

vCash
    i have watched suguri live many times and i have to say, I'm always impressed by her effortless glide across the ice!!!

looks like i'm one of the few who will miss suguri's skating ..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    ok you just made Ando part up.

What do you mean?

vCash
    I remember Suguri also looked definitely pumped up tailgating Kim.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    Not sure how Cohen or Ando can be considered fast. I found both their weaknesses to be their speed.
    I've always thought Cohen is slow on her spirals but her speed on other elements seems very good: especially in her last year SP and her SP from 2005/2006. I would never think "Dark eyes" was slow...

Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post

Of course YUNA KIM!!!!
    Her speed during step sequences always amaze me. So fluid and fast!!
    Yuna has breathtaking speed entering her jumps (especially flip and lutz )and on her spins and spirals but one year ago her speed on steps looked a bit slower to me It still seemed much faster than most of other skaters but not as fast as her steps from TdR or DM. But like I mentioned many times it's only my impression based on TV, not live experience so I may be wrong

vCash
    I think Carolina is the fastest. Yu-Na is also very fast. Miki, Mao and Joannie aren't the fastest, but they are not slow, either. Fumie's speed in the past was just .

Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    LOL at all the Arakawa, Suguri, and Murakamis.
    To some, Japanese skaters can't do anything wrong and best at everything.

vCash
    I have an impending sense of doom about this thread.

vCash
    Among the current senior ladies: Kostner, Kim, Lepisto, Rochette, Nagasu, Zawadzki. I remember Suguri also looked definitely pumped up tailgating Kim.

Among the juniors: Sotnikova, and after watching the preliminary at the JWC, I thought Ira Vannut was pretty fast. Can’t wait to see all of them live this weekend!
    Zawadzki!?!?!? There's been numerous discussions about her powerless stroking on FSU....

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Arakawa had the most amazing stroking, because she could get across the entire ice surface at the same speed on 2 or 3 strokes with almost no effort that other people put in countless strokes to achieve. Kostner's effect is similar.

To add to the list of old timers, Anna Rechnio, Laetitia Hubert, and Surya Bonaly all flew. I shouldn't bring Bonaly up at all because her technique for achieving speed was completely different from everyone else's before or since, and Rechnio & Hubert pumped hardcore a la Suguri, but if we're looking at just speed, those ladies flew!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I have an impending sense of doom about this thread.
    There's no impending sense, just pure curiosity

vCash
    Laetitia Hubert skated scary fast
    I wonder how many of her many, many mistakes were induced by that crazy speed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    Laetitia Hubert skated scary fast
    I wonder how many of her many, many mistakes were induced by that crazy speed.
    It's very true, Kostner's skating reminds me so much of Hubert's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extranjera View Post
    There's no impending sense, just pure curiosity
    I think she meant there are bound to be those who are going to use this thread to delve into their same old discussion over and over again.

vCash
    when you see them live it's definitely Kostner than Kim, Nagasu,

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast