Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
    I just received e-mail from USFSA with link for reservation
    https://resweb.passkey.com/Resweb.do...roupID=3395324
    Maybe that will help.
    Thank you.

Money is not really a problem. My dad is Diamond VIP with Hilton, so if worst comes to worst, I can use his points. If not that, I'll stick with my Double Tree reservation with my mom's employee rate.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Twitter is pretty awesome - I had trouble registering as a volunteer (they required that all the shift options be checked to continue, even the "available all shifts" and "not available" together ) and tweeted them regarding the problem. A day later the official San Jose 2012 Twitter feed acknowledged my tweet and said they were working on it.

My parents are actually in the process of buying a small house less than 5 miles from the arena, so if that goes through, I'll be able to stay for free. I'm trying to talk my mom into volunteering too, it would be fun! And to invite some FSUers to stay with us as well, but of course that completely depends on if the inspection gets through.

vCash
    If you're looking for cheaper hotels, you could stay at the airport hotels. They're all on the light rail line that passes through downtown San Jose and stops about a block or two from the arena (the Mountain View - Winchester line). The main down side, at least from what I've seen on the VTA's website, is that the rail line stops servicing the airport area around 10:30 pm. It does however run until about midnight to the Civic Center stop, which is about 3/4 of a mile from Gish, where many of the airport hotels are located (as well as the next stop: Metro/Airport). Maybe the VTA will extend train service two additional stops during Nationals in order to allow convenient transportation options between the airport hotels & the arena? If not, a 15 minute walk from Civic Center to the hotels near the Gish stop doesn't seem too bad to me.

There's also the possibility, if you'd like to spend a little time in San Francisco, to stay there or anywhere else on the Peninsula, and take Caltrain to/from San Jose. The station is within a block or two of the arena. The current schedule (weekday : weekend) has the final train departing northbound at 10:30 pm (though schedules are always subject to revisions).

One thing I've liked about West Coast events is that they tend to start earlier in the day and finish earlier in the evening in order to allow live prime-time television coverage for the Eastern time zone. I believe it was that way for Vancouver Worlds, Skate Canada in Victoria, and LA Worlds. I'm curious whether that trend will hold true for San Jose?
    Last edited by Aaron W; 03-10-2011 at 06:22 PM.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    If you're looking for cheaper hotels, you could stay at the airport hotels. They're all on the light rail line that passes through downtown San Jose and stops about a block or two from the arena (the Mountain View - Winchester line). The main down side, at least from what I've seen on the VTA's website, is that the rail line stops servicing the airport area around 10:30 pm. It does however run until about midnight to the Civic Center stop, which is about 3/4 of a mile from Gish, where many of the airport hotels are located (as well as the next stop: Metro/Airport). Maybe the VTA will extend train service two additional stops during Nationals in order to allow convenient transportation options between the airport hotels & the arena? If not, a 15 minute walk from Civic Center to the hotels near the Gish stop doesn't seem too bad to me.

There's also the possibility, if you'd like to spend a little time in San Francisco, to stay there or anywhere else on the Peninsula, and take Caltrain to/from San Jose. The station is within a block or two of the arena. The current schedule (weekday : weekend) has the final train departing northbound at 10:30 pm (though schedules are always subject to revisions).

One thing I've liked about West Coast events is that they tend to start earlier in the day and finish earlier in the evening in order to allow live prime-time television coverage for the Eastern time zone. I believe it was that way for Vancouver Worlds, Skate Canada in Victoria, and LA Worlds. I'm curious whether that trend will hold true for San Jose?
    The only nights TV broadcast live are Saturday for the ladies LP and Sunday for the men's LP, so all the other nights usually still end late. In L.A., the only night I remember getting out early was Saturday for the ladies. I remember falling asleep during the Pairs SP which didn't end till almost midnight! The other nights ended around 11:00 IIRC.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    The only nights TV broadcast live are Saturday for the ladies LP and Sunday for the men's LP, so all the other nights usually still end late. In L.A., the only night I remember getting out early was Saturday for the ladies. I remember falling asleep during the Pairs SP which didn't end till almost midnight! The other nights ended around 11:00 IIRC.
    I almost fell asleep during the Pairs SP at 09 Worlds too!

Then Savchenko/Szolkowy skated last with that crazy music and I was totally awake after that. haha

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    Highly recommend Caltrain for visits up to SF, especially since I live near one of the stations and use it often on weekday day trips... but only if you head up/down during rush hour. Caltrain is currently discussing massive cuts which could eliminate all non-rush hour service. It could even shut down altogether.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    San Diego in January sounds pretty awesome
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Highly recommend Caltrain for visits up to SF, especially since I live near one of the stations and use it often on weekday day trips... but only if you head up/down during rush hour. Caltrain is currently discussing massive cuts which could eliminate all non-rush hour service. It could even shut down altogether.
    I had read about that sometime in the past couple of weeks, but I read this news today before I posted: Caltrain working on fix to balance budget

Transportation officials say they are working on a short term plan that would balance Caltrain's budget without making massive service cuts.

Caltrain had previously warned it would have to dramatically cut service to close a $30 million budget gap. Proposals included cancelling all non-peak service, and halting all trains south of San Jose.

Yesterday, the Metropolitan Transportation Commission executive director he is meeting with Caltrain as well Muni, SamTrans, and the VTA to find a funding plan that will finance Caltrain until the 2012 election. However, he warns Caltrain will still have to make some smaller cuts.
    Hopefully funding issues will be sorted out, at least through January 2012 (figure skating events are important after all, haha). And hopefully the VTA will extend their late night (after 10:30 pm) service two additional stations to the airport area hotels rather than stopping one station short of the area.

vCash
    And hopefully the VTA will extend their late night (after 10:30 pm) service two additional stations to the airport area hotels rather than stopping one station short of the area.

I wouldn't count on it. They do not run extra VTA service after Sharks games and they are pretty much a guaranteed sell out -- granted more Sharks fans are local so don't necessarily need to get to airport hotels. But, I don't think this is going to be treated as a major enough event to spur our local agencies into action.

vCash
    OMG, I just bought tix, lol. I guess I'm going!

I ordered through Mike at the arena, got section 127 (2nd price level) but on the aisle next to section 128. I figure we'll only have to sit in those seats on Saturday, maybe Friday. I like being near the skater's entrance side.

I didn't see practice venue info posted anywhere yet...Mike said it would be at Sharks Ice. He said it's about 10 minutes from the main arena. After being spoiled in Greensboro by practices being in the same building, it will be annoying to have to take a shuttle, but at least it's not far away.

Looking forward to the mild (for Jan) weather.

vCash
    Shark Ice was Logitech Ice until a name change. Its an easy shot from the HP Pavillion which is lovingly called the Shark Tank. Shark Ice is a nice facility with four sheets and a restaurant. Anyone who wants information on San Jose feel free to post me privately since I lived there 20 years and LOVED every second of it. I know fabulous restaurants as well as hotels. You're only 1 1/2 hours from Monterey/Carmel-By-the-Sea beaches and an hour by train from San Francisco.

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    A while back, I hoped that BART would extend to San Jose by the time nationals (and the gymnastics Olympic Trials) rolled around. It would be so much easier. I live far enough away that going back and forth home would take ... probably more than 2 hours.

I signed up for volunteering for the whole week not knowing what my work schedule will be in the future, as I'm still a temp at my company. Well, it'll be time for a vacation, or *koff* *koff*, the common cold or something. When the time comes, I would be into doing a weeklong sublet of an apartment with other FSU folk if anyone's into it. I think the only friend-of-a-friend who's anywhere near is in Fremont, and then San Leandro after that.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    A while back, I hoped that BART would extend to San Jose by the time nationals (and the gymnastics Olympic Trials) rolled around.
    Sorry, not going to happen for another 5-10 years if that.

Public transit is basically going to be a non-option given the hours of the event, so for out of town visitors you'd be best off staying downtown (15-20 minute, perfectly safe walk) or renting a car and staying with friends or in a cheaper suburban hotel.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I live in Fremont but we don't have a spare guest bedroom. I found in 1996 that going back and forth from Fremont was fine. Often you aren't doing it at rush hour.

But I did feel like I was missing out on some of the experience ... such as lobby chicking and staying up late talking about skating with other fans. So I think I might go in on a hotel room with someone for at least part of the time.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    I'd love to go but I don't think we can swing it. : I'll be at Skate America for sure.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    A while back, I hoped that BART would extend to San Jose by the time nationals (and the gymnastics Olympic Trials) rolled around. It would be so much easier. I live far enough away that going back and forth home would take ... probably more than 2 hours.

I signed up for volunteering for the whole week not knowing what my work schedule will be in the future, as I'm still a temp at my company. Well, it'll be time for a vacation, or *koff* *koff*, the common cold or something. When the time comes, I would be into doing a weeklong sublet of an apartment with other FSU folk if anyone's into it. I think the only friend-of-a-friend who's anywhere near is in Fremont, and then San Leandro after that.
    The inspection for my parents' new place went through, she's finished renovating the bathroom, and it's less than 5 miles from the arena. I signed up for volunteering the whole week and I'm still talking my mom into it too. She says she still has plenty of time.

I'm sure I can talk her into taking a few FSUers for the week, but I don't think we can have like, 6. I'm not even sure how many beds they're going to have. Someone's going to have to bring an airbed!

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    Ohhhh, I thought you meant the "person" inspection, by your parents. Parents either love me or stare open-mouthed wondering what next crazy story I'm going to tell. But let's just say that I'm *that* demographic that parents of *our* demographic complain we don't have enough of in friends, ha.

I do not mind curling up in a corner under a dining room table in a sleeping bag. It's for skating! But definitely, I'd also be into doing an FSU buddy share - that way we can be each other's excuses to stay out late doing all the things MacMadame described! One thing about 2009 Worlds is that while I had a good time, I did it all alone, and had to share late night stories with non-skating friends who didn't really appreciate how great it was!

vCash
    Tentative, day-by-day schedule is posted on the website: http://www.skatesanjose2012.com/asse...hedule_(3).pdf

It looks like the solution to the time difference and the NBC broadcast requirements is to hold the pairs comp over 2 different days (Sat and Sun), and split the men into early and later groups. I shudder to think of the start time for the early group of men, assuming the broadcast times for the east coast are the same as they have been.

vCash
    Boy, am I glad that I decided to take a later flight out on Monday. Thursday and Friday look ultra-light in comparison to what they usually are. It's also interesting that the Ladies' FS precedes the pairs. Saturday and Sunday ae likely to be marathons!

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Anyone want to share a cheap hotel room for Thursday thru Saturday?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast