Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

2012 US Figure Skating Championships - San Jose, CA

All-Event ticket packages are now available and the best part about it is that you can PICK and CHOOSE your own seats over the phone with a live person! This benefit is only available until April. After April, All-Event ticket packages will only be available through Ticketmaster and we all know how that goes...visit www.skatesanjose2012.com for more details.

vCash

San Jose Hotel Rates Are Up

http://www.skatesanjose2012.com/hotels.aspx The link is working, and I have already made my reservations.

Get ready for sticker shock! The top three hotels, the Fairmont, the Marriott and the Hilton are all $159 per night + 14% room tax + around $2.50 per night fees. The Marriott is already sold out, so maybe this is being reserved for a certain population, i.e. skaters, officials, judges, etc.

There are a few secondary hotels whose nightly rates are marginally less expensive:

-The Four Points Sheraton-No stated rate
    - The Hotel De Anza - Closest but with no stated rate
    - The Crowne Plaza $149
    -The Saint Clare $145

vCash
    I just realized there's a payment plan? Oh, front row seats

thank you, thank you for the link!

vCash
    I made room reservations this afternoon.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    http://www.skatesanjose2012.com/hotels.aspx The link is working, and I have already made my reservations.

Get ready for sticker shock! The top three hotels, the Fairmont, the Marriott and the Hilton are all $159 per night + 14% room tax + around $2.50 per night fees. The Marriott is already sold out, so maybe this is being reserved for a certain population, i.e. skaters, officials, judges, etc.

There are a few secondary hotels whose nightly rates are marginally less expensive:

-The Four Points Sheraton-No stated rate
    - The Hotel De Anza - Closest but with no stated rate
    - The Crowne Plaza $149
    -The Saint Clare $145
    Oh god for a 5-6 day stay it'll be around $900+ , more than an all event ticket for a front row seat

vCash
    I lived in San Jose for 20 years until retiring. May I recommend a small hotel named the Arena? Its a quick walk to the HP Pavillion, affectionately called the Shark Tank because the San Jose Sharks play there.
    The Arena has lovely grounds, microwaves in the rooms, hot cookies when registering and is quite comfortable. Its also across the street from a fabulous, family owned chocolatier. San Jose is the 3rd largest city in California so hotels are abundant.
    Feel free to email me at sk8photo@hotmail for any questions you may have. I am also a foodie and can direct you to a charming neighborhood called Willow Glen with boutique shops, tree lined streets and the best Italian deli in town. I miss San Jose every day.

vCash
    When and where can we purchase single event tickets?

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Where is the secondary practice rink going to be located? Will there be a FanFest? Are there any events at the convention center? Information is a bit lacking so far....
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Seems like this organizing committee may be having some difficulties getting their act together. They were supposed to be coming out with some significant twitters and emails yesterday afternoon and FOFS from USFSA was also supposed to come out with an email yesterday. Neither happened. They must have hit some significant glitches that has delayed announcements.

vCash
    My sis and I are booked at the Hilton. Does anyone happen to know how close it is to the arena?
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    My sis and I are booked at the Hilton. Does anyone happen to know how close it is to the arena?
    If you go to the Host Hotel section of the event website, it says .77 miles. You can pull up a map that shows where the hotel is in relation to the arena.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Deleted
    Last edited by sk9tingfan; 03-04-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Answered already

vCash
    Being a Bay Area Native I agree with Mountain Time. And yes Willow Glen is super charming and fun to roam around. However, the neighborhood that this hotel is in (very close to HP) has a number of nice places to eat and have coffee/drinks as well - it is "The Alameda." I plan on staying at The Arena too.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainTime View Post
    I lived in San Jose for 20 years until retiring. May I recommend a small hotel named the Arena? Its a quick walk to the HP Pavillion, affectionately called the Shark Tank because the San Jose Sharks play there.
    The Arena has lovely grounds, microwaves in the rooms, hot cookies when registering and is quite comfortable. Its also across the street from a fabulous, family owned chocolatier. San Jose is the 3rd largest city in California so hotels are abundant.
    Feel free to email me at sk8photo@hotmail for any questions you may have. I am also a foodie and can direct you to a charming neighborhood called Willow Glen with boutique shops, tree lined streets and the best Italian deli in town. I miss San Jose every day.

vCash
    Actually the price isn't bad for that area..... It's not going to be a cheap trip folks

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Seems like this organizing committee may be having some difficulties getting their act together. They were supposed to be coming out with some significant twitters and emails yesterday afternoon and FOFS from USFSA was also supposed to come out with an email yesterday. Neither happened. They must have hit some significant glitches that has delayed announcements.
    They announced the host hotels yesterday. At least I got an email about it.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Is anyone getting conflicting rates for the Hilton San Jose? The Nationals website lists the rate as $159, but my mother works for hotel reservations for Hilton, and we checked the website and the rates start at $219, no matter what days are booked. Help?

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    Is anyone getting conflicting rates for the Hilton San Jose? The Nationals website lists the rate as $159, but my mother works for hotel reservations for Hilton, and we checked the website and the rates start at $219, no matter what days are booked. Help?
    The Nationals rate is usually a special discounted rate. I actually found a lower rate, though, of $152 by booking through usfsa.org. They have a general discount with Hilton.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    The Nationals website may have a group rate that's cheaper than the actual going rate. I'd actually say $159 is not a bad rate at all.

Keep in mind that while San Jose may be "secondary" in popular prestige to San Francisco, it's still the center of tremendous convention and business activity because it has the biggest cluster of hotels in Silicon Valley. Downtown San Jose is very much a convention-driven town by day, while having a fair bit of nightlife for the locals at night. Hotels are not cheap, and there are also two extremes of hotels: business-class hotels like the Marriott, Hilton, and Hyatt Sainte Claire on the upper-middle end, and rather seedy motels along the Alameda on the lower end.

All the downtown hotels are located in a tight cluster in the middle of downtown, about a 15-20 minute walk from the arena. While the walk to and from the arena/downtown is quiet at night, it's perfectly safe - I've considered buying a high-rise condo in the arena and talked at length with police officers on foot/bike patrol. They all said that crime is negligible in downtown SJ besides bar fights or drug activity isolated within specific bars/nightclubs which never spills out into the open anyway.

If $159/night is too expensive, consider the Hyatt and Hilton hotels in Santa Clara, a 20-30 minute ride (Great America station) on the VTA light rail ($2 each way) from the HP Pavilion. Often you can book there for $99-129/night.

I live just a 5 minute drive from downtown San Jose / HP Pavilion and hang out in downtown San Jose often - I'll post more in the next few months with specific pointers for transport, dining, nightlife, hotels, and getting oriented.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    If $159/night is too expensive, consider the Hyatt and Hilton hotels in Santa Clara, a 20-30 minute ride (Great America station) on the VTA light rail ($2 each way) from the HP Pavilion. Often you can book there for $99-129/night.

Long time SJ resident here, agree with what you have posted, but would add. If you are planning on light rail keep in mind that it runs infrequently after 8pm. If you just miss a train after an evening session you will be waiting up to 30 minutes for the next one. While waiting for the train is safe, it can be annoying if it's raining as the stations are outdoors.

vCash
    I just received e-mail from USFSA with link for reservation
    https://resweb.passkey.com/Resweb.do...roupID=3395324
    Maybe that will help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast