Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

John Galliano's anti-Semitic comments

I haven't seen a thread about it, and if I somehow missed, my apologies in advance.

John Galliano, Christian Dior's top fashion designer, is probably more than welcome to become Mel Gibson's BBF since the two share the same prejudice and hatred toward Jews.

Galliano's lawyer firmly denied that his client had made any racist or anti-Semitic remarks last Thursday, but the following recording, in which he declares that he loves Hitler, shows otherwise.

The releasing of the above tape led to the police investigation against the Brittish designer.

Dior, with zero-tolerence policy regarding race and religion, suspended Galliano from his responsibilities.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Good for Dior.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Galliano's lawyer firmly denied that his client had made any racist or anti-Semitic remarks last Thursday, but the following recording, in which he declares that he loves Hitler, shows otherwise.

Speaking of Mel Gibson, why was there a preview for a movie starring him when I went to see Black Swan the other day? I don't get why he gets so many chances!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Thanks for posting this, Eden!

…. for Dior's suspension of Galliano and for Natalie Portman for refusing to wear his dress.

vCash
    Thanks for posting this, Eden. I'm not a fashionista by any means, but good for Dior, and good decision for Natalie Portman not to wear the dress she intended to wear at the Oscars.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Disgusting. Good for Natalie for issuing a formal, public statement:

http://runway.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...o/?ref=fashion

In a statement released Monday evening in Los Angeles, Ms. Portman said: “I am deeply shocked and disgusted by the video of John Galliano’s comments that surfaced today. In light of this video, and as an individual who is proud to be Jewish, I will not be associated with Mr. Galliano in any way. I hope at the very least, these terrible comments remind us to reflect and act upon combating these still-existing prejudices that are the opposite of all that is beautiful.”
    Last edited by soxxy; 03-01-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Good for Dior, good for Natalie, and good for those four women who came forward even though none of them were Jewish. It's far too easy to ignore racism when it doesn't have to do with you personally.

I think this is the first time I've seen photos of Galliano, and he looks like a straight-up douche.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Thanks for posting this, Eden!

…. for Dior's suspension of Galliano and for Natalie Portman for refusing to wear his dress.

This might be a little more for Portland than just refusing to wear a dress.

She is the new face of Dior. Not sure, or she hasn't said, what she plans on doing there. I would guess it depends on whether or not Dior ultimately fires him?

Quadless
    vCash
    He has now been fired.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    People tend to think that the fashion world is so diverse and open-minded, when it has an UN-PC streak running down its back a mile-wide. I recall seeing a picture of him walking down a runway in Hollywoodized Native American garb of all things. Like a reject from The Villiage People.

I am disappointed but not surprised in Galliano or his idiotic comments. Don't let the doorknob hit you on the way out, John. You might leave Crisco on it.

vCash
    DUPLICATE POST
    Last edited by Rex; 03-01-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: DUPLICATE POST...............SORRY

Prick Admin
    vCash
    What a knob. I'm guessing the fact that Le Marais has been traditionally a Jewish area in Paris probably passed him by completely.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    She is the new face of Dior. Not sure, or she hasn't said, what she plans on doing there. I would guess it depends on whether or not Dior ultimately fires him?
    Considering she is a beloved and beautiful Oscar winner, and he's a doink, I think they'll do whatever she requests.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Considering she is a beloved and beautiful Oscar winner, and he's a doink, I think they'll do whatever she requests.
    She might only have a deal for the fragrance part of the brand - it's already been noted that she hasn't been wearing Dior during awards season, so I'm guessing that wasn't part of the deal.

Either way - I applaud her decisiveness and sticking to her values, but also can't help but think she's in a good position to renegotiate that contract now that she has the Oscar, and this opens the door to that.

vCash
    Glad that Dior gave Galiano the . I suppose he can get work doing the costumes for Mel Gibson's next film.

vCash
    Portman was asked about Galliano during the media op after she won her Oscar, but declined to answer. Glad she issued a statement.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Not surprised. I've always found something obscene about him. You just knew there was something ugly behind that sneer of his.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Politiking for Purple
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    Portman was asked about Galliano during the media op after she won her Oscar, but declined to answer. Glad she issued a statement.
    I'm glad she issued a statement too, but I don't think it was Natalie who refused to answer. It was a representative of some kind (with the Academy?) who was standing by her who told her not to answer, something to the effect that they were moving on from that question.
    If you want to be creative, get out there and do it. It's not a waste of time" - Michael Giacchino, UP

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    I'm glad Dior fired him, too. If I were their customer I would have certainly stopped being one if they stuck up by him. I don't care for his "creative genius". If you say that someone's parents should have been gassed when millions of Jews had been, you're a vile human being.

As for him dissing someone's looks. I guess he doesn't have a mirror. He looks horrible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnW View Post
    I'm glad she issued a statement too, but I don't think it was Natalie who refused to answer. It was a representative of some kind (with the Academy?) who was standing by her who told her not to answer, something to the effect that they were moving on from that question.
    Yeah. In the past, Natalie has never shied away from defending Israel and has taken stances that could certainly be controversial, so I don't think she would have hesitated to answer the question if allowed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast