Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Sasha Cohen - what is she doing now?

Say,along with Kimmie Meissner......does anyone know the deal on Sasha? Is she Retired,competing,or what not?

vCash
    I don't know if she has any more plans to compete, but I'm looking forward to seeing her in Stars on Ice on Sunday.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    So is she Retired from competiton?

vCash
    Done competing. Not officially retired IIRC (just like Kwan, who started this "in limbo semi-retired but not really" state and then everyone else followed).

Unlike Meissner, though, looks like she has committed to at least skating in shows full-time as a pro.

I'm also going to the show on Sunday BTW. I'll see if I can post pics and stuff afterward in the SOI thread.

vCash

Angry ugh

Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Done competing. Not officially retired IIRC (just like Kwan, who started this "in limbo semi-retired but not really" state and then everyone else followed).

Unlike Meissner, though, looks like she has committed to at least skating in shows full-time as a pro.

I'm also going to the show on Sunday BTW. I'll see if I can post pics and stuff afterward in the SOI thread.
    i truly HATE it. Like, i could slap the &^%% out of Michelle for not just SAYING IT... what is so undignified about the word retired?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    i truly HATE it. Like, i could slap the &^%% out of Michelle for not just SAYING IT... what is so undignified about the word retired?
    What is so undignified about not making a formal announcement? There is nothing to be gained by it ... especially since there is not much of a "pro world" anymore. I think that Michelle's actions (college; grad school) speak louder than words.
    Last edited by attyfan; 03-01-2011 at 02:31 AM.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Would you have prefer that Michelle "promise that she would never say goodbye?"

vCash
    I think the issue is closure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    What is so undignified about not making a formal announcement? There is nothing to be gained by it ... especially since there is not much of a "pro world" anymore. I think that Michelle's actions (college; grad school) speak louder than words.
    I don't think there is any reason to announce it.

Afterall, if the 2014 crop looks week (I don't think it will) she can always come back and try to qualify for the Olympics again like she did this time around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I don't think there is any reason to announce it.

Afterall, if the 2014 crop looks week (I don't think it will) she can always come back and try to qualify for the Olympics again like she did this time around.
    You mean Sasha, I take it, not Michelle?

vCash
    The thread is about Sasha, so yeah. But I'd be happy to watch Michelle try too
    She could probably get decent scores just by skating around in a circle, on nostalgia alone.

vCash
    Sasha would be 29 in Sochi, and she'd have to go through Regionals, Sectionals etc. I don't see it happening, especially since she's competed once since Torino in the past five years.

vCash
    This is crazy!!!!! 2010-2011. The years all our Freestylers walked out the door!!!! So what's Sasha planning?

vCash
    Sasha is currently performing in the U.S. Stars on Ice tour that runs through April 9th.

Here's a recent article (Feb. 16): http://articles.ocregister.com/2011-...smucker-s-tour
    Only 26, and one of the younger skaters on this tour, Cohen's days of competing at the highest levels of skating are behind her. An attempt to make the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, B.C. ended with her making it only as far as an alternate on the team.

Still, skating exhibitions and performances fill her immediate future, and she hopes to continue them for a while longer.

"It's partly up to how long you can keep free of injury," Cohen says. "I love to travel, I love the feel of performing, but there's a lot of other things I'm interested in, so I don't know how long this will be."

One thing she definitely plans to do is finish her undergraduate degree. She'll attend the summer semester at New York University, and possible enroll fulltime in school at the end of the year.

"I never had a chance to finish my undergrad degree," Cohen says. "I'm interested in everything, from finance to philosophy, so I think I'd start with all of the core classes.

"Before I decide another path that I'm going to go down I'd like to have a broader education."

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Sasha is currently performing in the U.S. Stars on Ice tour that runs through April 9th.

Here's a recent article (Feb. 16): http://articles.ocregister.com/2011-...smucker-s-tour
    Thanks, Sylvia, and good for Sasha that she wants to finish her degree. I hadn't realized that she was taking courses. I'm sure that she will enjoy NYU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    This is crazy!!!!! 2010-2011. The years all our Freestylers walked out the door!!!! So what's Sasha planning?

Why is it crazy? Skaters grow older, they can't compete forever. A new group of skaters come up, and I would imagine, if you're anything like me, you'll find skaters you love just as much as the older skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

So she Retired from Competing when she foun out she didn't make the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    So she Retired from Competing when she foun out she didn't make the Olympics.
    Making the Olympic team was her goal in coming back, so why continue?
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Oh boy!!! OK, seriously everyone knows she retired. Does she need to send you a personal letter with her autograph saying that she retired ?!

By the way, many athletes never officially announced their retirement even if we know they retired : Monica Seles, Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati just to name a few. So please, slap yourself for being too harsh on Michelle Kwan.

vCash
    SASHA!!!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast