Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Although this makes me wonder . . . I don't think I've ever seen an english-speaking canadian film up for best picture. Is that possible?
    I think you may be right. The two films that came closest that I could think of were The Sweet Hereafter (nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Director - Atom Egoyan) and Away From Her (nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay - Sarah Polly and Best Actress - Julie Christie).

Those films were eligible for Best Picture but for for some reason weren't nominated. It's funny how The Sweet Hereafter could be nominated for Best Directing and Best Screenplay but not be nominated for Best Picture. Only three of the five Best Picture nominees that year (As Good As it Gets, The Fully Monty, Good Will Hunting, L.A. Confidential, and Titanic), received nominations for both writing and directing (The Full Monty, Good Will Hunting, and L.A. Confidential).
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 03-04-2011 at 04:11 AM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

I know a place...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think you may be right. The two films that came closest that I could think of were The Sweet Hereafter (nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Director - Atom Egoyan) and Away From Her (nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay - Sarah Polly and Best Actress - Julie Christie).

Those films were eligible for Best Picture but for for some reason weren't nominated. It's funny how The Sweet Hereafter could be nominated for Best Directing and Best Screenplay but not be nominated for Best Picture. Only three of the five Best Picture nominees that year (As Good As it Gets, The Fully Monty, Good Will Hunting, L.A. Confidential, and Titanic), received nominations for both writing and directing (The Full Monty, Good Will Hunting, and L.A. Confidential).
    I remember reading after nominations were announced in 2007 that Sarah Polley's Adapted Screenplay nomination seem more like a way to make up for not nominating Away From Her for Best Picture or Best Director.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I need to see Mike Leigh's Another Year before I decide what should've won Best Original Screenplay. I did prefer The King's Speech, The Kids Are All Right, and The Fighter's screenplay to Inception's though.
    'Another Year' was a great disappointment - Mike Leigh can be brilliant, but he can also miss the mark entirely. I don't know why it got a nomination - the screenplay was severely lacking. The dialogue - and screenplay largely focused on dialogue - did have the authenticity that is Leigh's trademark, but it wasn't interesting or very insightful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Although this makes me wonder . . . I don't think I've ever seen an english-speaking canadian film up for best picture. Is that possible?
    So many "US" films are shot in Canada nowadays that the line is seriously blurred, if not completely gone. I was actually impressed that Scott Pilgrim vs. The World was not only shot in Toronto, but actually set there, too.

Wikipedia's Cinema of Canada page has a good discussion of some of the issues: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadia..._film_industry

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    So many "US" films are shot in Canada nowadays that the line is seriously blurred, if not completely gone. I was actually impressed that Scott Pilgrim vs. The World was not only shot in Toronto, but actually set there, too.

Wikipedia's Cinema of Canada page has a good discussion of some of the issues: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadia..._film_industry
    Very Interesting. Thanks.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Tim Hetherington was killed in Libya. He was nominated for an Oscar for his documentary Restrepo. So sad.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa...ex.html?hpt=T1
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Tim Hetherington was killed in Libya. He was nominated for an Oscar for his documentary Restrepo. So sad.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa...ex.html?hpt=T1
    How sad.

vCash
    I heard about that. R.I.P.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789