Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    Right? I can't believe it actually generated a second thread. Someone should calculate what percentage of the posts were simply to complain about how boring or awful it was.
    What would the Oscars be without snark? I was over here all night, having a blast.

HURRAY for The King's Speech!! Some people scared the daylights out of me when TSN won best editing, with a lot of "Best Editing probably means Best Picture" talk. I don't think I breathed again until Hooper won. That had to mean TKS had it in the bag, editing or no editing.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Ooooh, I cannot wait for Fashion Police with Joan Rivers tonight.
    Oh hells yeah. I have a feeling Joan is going to be in fine form tonight. She definitely has plenty of material (and feathers, and sequins, and lace, and jewels ) with which to work .

If only she could ditch Rancid and George Snuffalufagus or whatever the fcuk his name is.

Speaking of, I cannot for the life of me understand how and why E! hired Giuliana Rancid (for one of the highest profile positions on that channel - she either is a relative of TPTB at E! or has some damning photos stashed in a safe somewhere. Ms. Rancid isn't particularly charming or endearing, is incapable of coming up with an original thought, lacks a sense of humor or wit. Then there's the tootsie-pop head/body, the stringy, skanky hair extensions, the fried turkey shade of fake bake, and atrocious fashion choices .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Oh hells yeah. I have a feeling Joan is going to be in fine form tonight. She definitely has plenty of material (and feathers, and sequins, and lace, and jewels ) with which to work.

If only she could ditch Rancid and George Snuffalufagus or whatever the fcuk his name is.

Speaking of, I cannot for the life of me understand how and why E! hired Giuliana Rancid (for one of the highest profile positions on that channel - she either is a relative of TPTB at E! or has some damning photos stashed in a safe somewhere. Ms. Rancid isn't particularly charming or endearing, is incapable of coming up with an original thought, lacks a sense of humor or wit. Then there's the tootsie-pop head/body, the stringy, skanky hair extensions, the fried turkey shade of fake bake, and atrocious fashion choices .
    @ rancid.
    She should NEVER wear her hair in a ponytail/bun. Anything that emphasizes her egg-shaped fivehead should be banned and her stylists waterboarded. I don't mind her comments on celebs so much, but she should remember that she don't always look so hot. I wish they'd bring back Philip Bloch - he knows his shit and he's funny.

vCash
    Local TV morning show picked Cate Blanchett, Nicole Kidman, Amy Adams, Melissa Leo, Marissa Tomei, and HBC as Worst-Dressed.

Best dressed are Mila Kunis, Jennifer Hudson, Halle Berry, Gwyneth Paltrow, Anne Hathaway (orange/red dress from red carpet).

vCash
    @ rancid.
    She should NEVER wear her hair in a ponytail/bun. Anything that emphasizes her egg-shaped fivehead should be banned and her stylists waterboarded. I don't mind her comments on celebs so much, but she should remember that she don't always look so hot. I wish they'd bring back Philip Bloch - he knows his shit and he's funny.
    Egg-shaped five-head - eys, that thing doesn't do her piranha-like jawline any favors .

In total agreement about Philip Bloch - he has a fabulous eye for style and a wonderful sense of snark to him.

vCash
    I'll agree with the best-dressed save for Gwynnie.
    Philip is still a very in-demand stylist. He worked well with Joan. So did that older guy, Leon whatshisname....George is all right, but not a lot of personality.

vCash
    This aftermath editorial pretty much sums up my feelings:

http://www.awardsdaily.com/2011/02/t...th/#more-37627

The King's Speech is a great film in its own right, but I do feel that Oscar rewarded the wrong film for Best Picture. However, TKS is a great enough movie where I don't think I can really say it robbed The Social Network (except for maybe Director).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Ooooh, I cannot wait for Fashion Police with Joan Rivers tonight.
    Me too!

Cyn, I don't know why they got rid of Jay Manuel (from ANTM), he was really good. I think he'd be a perfect counter for Rivers snark.

I agree about best director. Thought that should have gone to Social Network or Black Swan. But, those were the only nominated movies I saw, so maybe I'm biased.

Natalie Portman was just spectacular and deserved the win. Not having seen The King's Speech, I can't really comment, but I am guessing Colin Firth was amazing.

As for the show. James Franco seemed like he was just there. He did nothing, looked stoned, and it had to be a really tough job for Anne Hathaway to carry them both, with crap material. I actually think she could have pulled off a co-host with Hugh Jackman or someone else with experience and charisma.

Maybe they'll bring Billy Crystal back.

I thought the Kirk Douglas thing was awful. It was so uncomfortable. The man is a legend, why did they make him look like a senile old fool? He should be remembered with dignity, not like that.

Gweneth Paltrow singing with Jennifer Hudson on the stage! Is it me, or is there something really wrong with that. Paltrow - you can't sing! The next country singing star - gag!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

Speaking of, I cannot for the life of me understand how and why E! hired Giuliana Rancid
    clearly, she has pictures of someone important at a donkey show in tijuana

she has no redeeming qualities
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Not sure if everyone realizes it, but the F-bomb was only censored in the US. The rest of the world (including Canada) go it loud and clear.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post

I agree about best director. Thought that should have gone to Social Network or Black Swan. But, those were the only nominated movies I saw, so maybe I'm biased.
    Perhaps maybe you should see the film that won Best Director before making comments like above. Just a thought.

I saw all three films and enjoyed all three of them immensely, so I was quite happy with the results.

And F U C K is a word not a "bomb". If any of you have problems with hearing that particular word, never come to Ireland.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Gweneth Paltrow singing with Jennifer Hudson on the stage! Is it me, or is there something really wrong with that. Paltrow - you can't sing! The next country singing star - gag!
    I can't believe I'm defending Paltrow, whom I don't care for much, but she actually did a very good job in the movie, and also at one of the country music awards shows a couple months back. Last night it looked (and sounded) to me like she had a bad case of nerves.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I thought the Kirk Douglas thing was awful. It was so uncomfortable. The man is a legend, why did they make him look like a senile old fool? He should be remembered with dignity, not like that.
    It made me really uncomfortable, too. Reminded me of how Dick Clark was still doing NYE after his stroke.

vCash
    The show needed some over the top presenters/performers, like...Cher.

vCash
    As for the show. James Franco seemed like he was just there. He did nothing, looked stoned, and it had to be a really tough job for Anne Hathaway to carry them both, with crap material. I actually think she could have pulled off a co-host with Hugh Jackman or someone else with experience and charisma.
    I agree about Hathaway. I wish more of the news pieces bashing the Oscars would separate Anne from James. When it was just her on stage, I thought she spoke reasonably well. And I totally agree about pairing her up with someone like Hugh Jackman. I suspect it would have worked rather well.

vCash
    I didn't find Douglas uncomfortable at all. He was alert, sharp as a tack, and amusing.

Same with Dick Clark. Physical disabilities don't usually bother me at all.

Now if he had displayed some mental confusion, due to either his stroke or his age (he is 94 after all) that would have been uncomfortable to me.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    I didn't find Douglas uncomfortable at all. He was alert, sharp as a tack, and amusing.

Same with Dick Clark. Physical disabilities don't usually bother me at all.
    ITA, I love seeing them because I know some people in their condition would not want to be seen or heard on tv like that.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    I agree about Hathaway. I wish more of the news pieces bashing the Oscars would separate Anne from James. When it was just her on stage, I thought she spoke reasonably well. And I totally agree about pairing her up with someone like Hugh Jackman. I suspect it would have worked rather well.
    Maybe she should have just done it by herself. Any pairing, no matter how good, would have to include that awful artificial banter that seems to be de rigeur for awards shows now.

vCash
    I wonder if Franco has some kind of eye disorder -- the eyelids mostly closed, most of the time, is pretty creepy.

I did feel sorry for Hathaway -- Franco is a lot of extra weight to haul around. Whatever he got paid for hosting was way, way too much.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    My daughter suggested that Franco might have high functioning aspergers. That would explain how he can run around getting degrees every where AND appear so socially awkward and disconnected. Add a big dose of weed to that and you've got .
    Would someone even with high-functioning Asperger's be able to act, though? I think my cousin has it as well and he's just clueless as all get-out when it comes to people and emotions and things like that. Brilliantly intelligent, though.

It's possible that he shuts down just in large groups of people. I can see a lot of people doing that. Like me.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast