Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    The "NICE" Admin
    vCash

Oscars 2011 - aftermath

Carry on.

vCash
    Most of it sucked IMO.

Loved Kirk Douglas. Loved Colin Firth (adorable!) Loved Christian Bale (always so weird to hear his normal accent), Loved the afro dude, and loved the autotune musical montage. Other than that, it was pretty meh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Most of it sucked IMO.

Loved Kirk Douglas. Loved Colin Firth (adorable!) Loved Christian Bale (always so weird to hear his normal accent), Loved the afro dude, and loved the autotune musical montage. Other than that, it was pretty meh.
    Right? I can't believe it actually generated a second thread. Someone should calculate what percentage of the posts were simply to complain about how boring or awful it was.

vCash
    Actually I wrote that it was a pretty good show. Very few negatives.

I couldn't believe how old Kirk Douglas looked. How old is he now? I had not seen him in a movie in many years.

I really liked the dresses.gowns this year. Nicely decorated, covered most of the bodies (not falling off).

Blergh
    vCash
    I don't believe there will ever be an Oscar ceremony where people don't complain how much it sucked.

To me, the ceremony itself is pretty secondary to the actual giving of the awards.

One complaint (among some that I had) was that during the Best Picture presentation, I thought it was pretty obviously biased towards The King's Speech. Yeah, it was a montage of all the nominated films, but it was Firth's voice that dominated it. Way to show favoritism.

Also, please hire comedians and only comedians for future Oscar telecasts (and let them be themselves. I understand the need for some editing and toning down but please don't heavily edit or tone them down).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I couldn't believe how old Kirk Douglas looked. How old is he now? I had not seen him in a movie in many years.
    He just turned 94 (dob is December 9, 1916)
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Kirk is 94 and IMO looks pretty good for his age, especially considering he had a stroke in the 90s.

My favourite dress of the night was Jennifer Lawrence's simple red Calvin Klein. I thought it was so pretty, and something I'd actually wear. I also thought Natalie Portman finally dressed decently this awards show circuit. And though I didn't exactly love the dress itself (and didn't exactly hate it), I kind of have a fondness for Cate Blanchett's unusual dress. I thought Celine Dion looked absolutely gorgeous in both her red carpet and performance dresses (and I'm someone who completely dislikes Celine). Hard to believe she just had twins!

Guys have it so easy at awards shows. They could wear the exact same suit every show for 5 years and nobody would notice. Damn men. You know it's an issue when Randy Newman is wearing the most exciting suit.

And what was with the Hugh Jackman lovefest at the show? How many references were made to him? Seriously!

And next year can we please have Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law host? Their bromantic banter is hilarious, and seems to flow much more naturally than Anne and James.

Anne seemed like such an overachiever tonight - she tried so hard (and reminded me of Annie from Community), and I'm pretty sure James was either smoking up or drinking hard liquor every time he was off camera.

Oh, and can I just say, I want to look like Helen Mirren. Not just when I'm in my mid 60s, but now please. She is just freaking hot!

The "NICE" Admin
    vCash
    Yahoo article had me PML when it said "Kirk Douglas looked better than Charlie Sheen."

vCash
    The only win I'm irked about is Hooper winning Best Director. Blah to the Blah. Worst directing win since Ron Howard's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    And what was with the Hugh Jackman lovefest at the show? How many references were made to him? Seriously!
    I only remember two references to him. First, there was Anne Hathaway's song. Supposedly, the show had planned something as a bit of role-reversal of the number they did when Hugh hosted and dragged Anne on-stage to sing. But Hugh bailed on the number.

The second was Kirk Douglas' bit about Australians and Brits. I gather Russell Crowe was not there, so they had to choose between Jackman and Nicole Kidman as the available Australians to mock. Given the choice, I can see why Kirk Douglas chose Jackman.

vCash
    TWoP's Oscar coverage is up, and to say they thought Anne Hathaway and James Franco sucked as co-hosts would be a gross understatement

TWoP "blow-by-blow" aka PBP

Oscar's Best and Worst Moments (photo gallery)

Red Carpet Best and Worst Fashions

The latter has me - they have Scarlett Johannsen in the Best category and Hillary Swank in the Worst?
    Last edited by Cyn; 02-28-2011 at 12:50 PM.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    TWOP is great for snark.

The latter has me - they have Scarlett Johannsen in the Best category and Hillary Swank in the Worst?
    A big rack hides a multitude of sins .

vCash
    I finally figured it out -- Cate Blanchett's dress looks like one of those circular canvasses on Bob Ross' Joy of Painting Show .

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    The writing for the hosts was completely . I adore Anne Hathaway but she just doesn't have the gravitas to anchor such a big show.

My daughter suggested that Franco might have high functioning aspergers. That would explain how he can run around getting degrees every where AND appear so socially awkward and disconnected. Add a big dose of weed to that and you've got .

vCash
    The Toronto Sun is pretty harsh, but truthful...

The Academy Awards wanted to appeal to a younger crowd, but an uncensored F-bomb within the first half-hour was an unexpected and trashy way to do it.
    In retrospect, Leo did act a bit of a fool, but she's not the only one who ever did.
    Hathaway needs to lose weight, and it has nothing to do with her own body. The “dead weight” she needs to lose is her Oscars co-host James Franco.

Hathaway and Franco were supposed to appeal to young people, as opposed to last year’s co-hosts, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin. But the opening 15 minutes of the Oscars, quite frankly, were the flattest and slowest in recent memory.
    Anne did the best that she could with uneven material.

vCash
    Anne seemed very comfortable and charismatic on stage, even when her material sucked. She gave it her all and I can admire that. She did like 95% of the work hosting.

I can't remember a single thing Franco did last night except look stoned.

vCash
    Anne H giggles worse than a little school girl...
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixflamezzz View Post
    The only win I'm irked about is Hooper winning Best Director. Blah to the Blah. Worst directing win since Ron Howard's.
    The win I'm irked about is The Lost Thing winning best animated short. I saw all the animated shorts last week, and Madagascar was wuzrobbed big time.

vCash
    Ooooh, I cannot wait for Fashion Police with Joan Rivers tonight.

vCash
    Next morning sleep deprived musings: I thought Leo was charming in her speech, but grabbing Kirk's cane and hobbling offstage with it was quite odd.

Not sure who in the last thread compared Hathaway to a cheerleader holding up 'applause' signs behind a zombie Franco, but it was so accurate.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast