Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Thumbs up "Skate for Love" Charity Benefit

Hello Everyone!

I'm very excited to announce the "Skate for Love" exhibition that will benefit the cancer foundation Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Focusing on the friends and families of cancer victims, "Skate for Love" will represent those who have lost loved ones due to the disease and recognize how they supported the people most important to them.

The event takes place at 7:00 PM on Saturday, April 16, 2011 at the William G. Mennen Sports Arena in Morristown, New Jersey. The show has attracted many big names in the skating world, past, present, and future, including 2007 National Silver Medalist Emily Hughes, 2-time US Bronze Medalist Ashley Wagner, 2006 World Champion Kimmie Meissner, 2-time Junior Grand Prix Finalist Christina Gao, 1995 US National Champion Nicole Bobek, 2010 European Bronze Medalist Elene Gedevanishvili,1996 Swiss National Champion and International Competitor Lucinda Ruh, 9-Time National Competitor Parker Pennington, 2011 Eastern Sectional Champion Samantha Cesario, and 2010 US Junior Pairs Champion Felicia Zhang. In addition, many other young skaters will be featured including the event's chief organizers, Taiwanese Ladies Champion Corinna Lin and Junior Ladies competitor Madison Olivieri.

Hosting the event will be 2002 Olympic Bronze Medalist Timothy Goebel and skating superstar JoJo Starbuck, with a guest appearance by 1982 World Champion Elaine Zayak. Accomplished skating professional Chika Maruta is the show's choreographer and artistic director. Stephanie Handler and Tania Bass are contributing their costume design talents. "Skate for Love" will also feature live musical entertainment including metro area star Lisa Bouchelle.

Please consider joining us for "Skate for Love" and support this night of beautiful skating and sharing. The show's official website www.skateforlove.org is almost ready to go live; in the meantime see the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ska...48713978515989 and the ticket processing website skateforlove.charityhappenings.org for more information.
    Last edited by Jenna; 02-26-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I'm very excited to announce the "Skate for Love" exhibition that will benefit the cancer foundation Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Focusing on the friends and families of cancer victims, "Skate for Love" will represent those who have lost loved ones due to the disease and recognize how they supported the people most important to them.

The event takes place at 7:00 PM on Saturday, April 16, 2011 at the William G. Mennen Sports Arena in Morristown, New Jersey. The show has attracted many big names in the skating world, past, present, and future, including 2007 National Silver Medalist Emily Hughes, 2-time US Bronze Medalist Ashley Wagner, 2006 World Champion Kimmie Meissner, 2-time Junior Grand Prix Finalist Christina Gao, 1995 US National Champion Nicole Bobek, 2010 European Bronze Medalist Elene Gedevanishvili,1996 Swiss National Champion and International Competitor Lucinda Ruh, 9-Time National Competitor Parker Pennington, 2011 Eastern Sectional Champion Samantha Cesario, and 2010 US Junior Pairs Champion Felicia Zhang. In addition, many other young skaters will be featured including the event's chief organizers, Taiwanese Ladies Champion Corinna Lin and Junior Ladies competitor Madison Olivieri.

Hosting the event will be 2002 Olympic Bronze Medalist Timothy Goebel and skating superstar JoJo Starbuck, with a guest appearance by 1982 World Champion Elaine Zayak. Accomplished skating professional Chika Maruta is the show's choreographer and artistic director. Stephanie Handler and Tania Bass are contributing their costume design talents. "Skate for Love" will also feature live musical entertainment including metro area star Lisa Bouchelle.

Please consider joining us for "Skate for Love" and support this night of beautiful skating and sharing. The show's official website www.skateforlove.org is almost ready to go live; in the meantime see the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ska...48713978515989 and the ticket processing website skateforlove.charityhappenings.org for more information.
    Thanks, a friend of mine told me about this as she is friends with JoJo Starbuck. I definitely would like to be there.

Great show, great cause!

vCash
    Just "bumping" this up because of the Ice Network preview!

The official site, with bios of all the participants, has also been created: http://www.skateforlove.org
    Unfortunately, it appears that Ashley Wagner has dropped out. The cast is still very impressive, though, and I encourage you to join us on this night of beautiful skating and sharing!

vCash
    Ashley Wagner is supposed to be skating at the Skating Club of Wilmington then (actually from 4/14-4/16).

Poster of Pet Vines
    Guess: StirRapidly+Anti+LargestHumanOrgan
    vCash
    That's quite a cast, wish I was closer. And . . . Nicole Bobek ???

vCash
    The show is TOMORROW! I'm so excited.

Updated cast list is here: www.skateforlove.org

Gregory & Petukhov will be there.

vCash
    I hope that it's a big success; and look forward to reports.

vCash
    The show was AWESOME! I'm too tired for a full report now, but I'll gladly share my thoughts tomorrow.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slicekw View Post
    That's quite a cast, wish I was closer. And . . . Nicole Bobek ???
    I went to the show but left before the end because I had a long drive and there was some heavy rain and flooding in the area. Unfortunately I didn't see Nicole skate, but I saw her in warm up and she looked good and was relaxed and chatting a lot with Emily and Kimmie. Nice to see her back on the ice for such a good cause.

It was clear that a lot of work had gone into planning the show. to JoJo and all the skaters and volunteers who put on such a good show.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Samantha Cesario's solo performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7oRH-ciVHo

vCash
    Good to see Cesario back on the ice after the back injury that took her out of Nationals (her exhibition music is "Don't Rain on my Parade" sung by Glee's Lea Michele).

Thanks, Jenna and Garden Kitty. I would like to hear more about the show if/when you have time!

ETA link to an off-ice photo gallery from the show: http://web.icenetwork.com/gen/photog...f17894622.html

Based on the photo captions, some of the programs were:
    Gregory/Petukhov - "Time To Say Goodbye" (Sarah Brightman)
    Christina Gao - "Ave Maria" (Beyonce)
    Felicia Zhang - "The Prayer" (Josh Groban)
    Coomes/Buckland - "The Lion King" free dance
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-17-2011 at 06:40 PM.

vCash
    I moved my post into this Nicole Bobek thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...4&postcount=44
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-18-2011 at 05:42 AM.

vCash

Skate for Love, Part I

I guess this is a good time to write my report. I'll answer your question, Sylvia, in the second half.

Alright, so the night began with entertainment from Margot Carr, "Pearl the Mime" In the arena lobby. She was great. Very funny and excellent with children!

The crowd was pretty decent; not bad at all. The arena holds 2000, and I would estimate that it was at least half full, so ~1000 seats filled in total.

Hosts JoJo and Tim kicked off the night. She is fantastic; great personality, lovely aura, and she can think on her feet! He was a little less comfortable in the roll. You could tell he was shy and at times it made for some awkwardness, but he gave it his best shot.

The actual skating kicked off with Emily Hughes skating to "Heaven on Credit" with a live performance by Lisa Bouchelle, who has a great voice by the way! Never heard of her before the show, but she opens for Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi. Emily looked confident and happy; she did a double flip and some nice spins. Great spiral as always.

Next was Kimmie Meissner skating to "Naked," also performed live by Lisa. In this first performance, she appeared to be a bit tight and unsure of herself. Not sure of the last time she performed for a crowd, but she was definitely a bit nervous. Her second performance was far, far better, and she skated with confidence and joy.

Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland performed their "Lion King" free dance and it was a BIG hit with the crowd. Their lifts are fantastic and their whole performance was very enjoyable to watch! He mentioned that they chose the music because of the "uplifting" requirement in the music; and it certainly was. JoJo mentioned they stopped in NJ on their way to Moscow, so it was so very generous of them to share their time.

Stephen Kuo performed his SP to "A Los Amigos." He only did double jumps and a 1A, but he went for more difficult content later on in the show. Nice job, clean program.

Next was Olivia Yao, who skated to "A New Day Has Come" by Celine Dion. This was an absolute treat. She is only 12, but this girl reaches the rafters with her performance quality. The program mentioned she was a two-time junior national competitor, but this girl looks ready for novice. Her doubles are significantly higher than last year, and those spins are exquisite. She was excellent and the crowd loved it.

Christina Gao skated to "Ave Maria" by Beyonce, and she also skated very well. She did two gorgeous triple toes, and what looked to be an improved layback spin. Glad I got to meet her afterward, she's a sweet girl!

Marni Halasa of the Ice Theatre of New York and James Schetelich performed a duet to "Groovin," performed live by Eddie Brigati and his band. She was wearing a butterfly-esque costume that featured a pair of "wings." This was interesting to watch.

The Precisely Right Juvenile Synchro team performed to the Mexican Hat Dance. That was cute, and I thought they were quite good! Don't know much about Synchro, but I was impressed and entertained with the group.

Next was James Schetelich skating a solo to Train's "Drops of Jupiter." This was a fantastic performance also, and it is clear that this kid has a lot of talent!! Triple lutz, fully rotated with a slight touch down with the hand, and a gorgeous triple salchow. Not sure what level he will compete at this season. After missing Novice Nats by such a small margin last year, maybe he will stay there but I think he is ready for Junior. He spins beautifully and he has great presentation. I was thoroughly impressed!

The Ice Theatre of New York performed to "La Revolte des Enfants". The three girls were conjoined at the shoulders and ankles with cloth, so that was certainly very intriguing. Interesting performance, certainly very "theatrical!"

The first half concluded with a group performance to Lady Gaga's "Poker Face." Choreography was done by Chika Maruta, and this was also excellent! It was sort of like organized chaos. There was so much going on! Jumps, spins, spirals, but it all looked very nice. Felicia Zhang, Schetelich, and Kuo all did nice triple toes. Costumes were done by Stephanie Handler. Each skater had a lighting bolt painted across their face, done by Margot. The whole thing was fun to watch!
    Last edited by Jenna; 04-19-2011 at 01:05 AM.

vCash

Skate for Love Part II

After a 15 minute break, we were back in action!

Eliza Angelli gave a stunning acrobatic performance to Peter Gabriel's "The Feeling Begins." It was truly jaw dropping. She hung from a cloth and spun and twirled in mid air, only holding on with one foot or one hand at a time. She was excellent; very entertaining.

Corinna Lin, co-creator of Skate for Love, gave a performance to "The Voice Within" by Christina Aguilera. She did very well, landing all her double jumps and skating genuinely and showing clear passion for the sport and for the night.

Madison Olivieri, the other creator of the show gave a fun, high energy performance to "Dog Days Are Over" by Florence and the Machine. She just oozes charisma and energy and she was great to watch. She was aexpecially excited to land her double axel!

The Professional Team of Rachel Gomez and Andrew Naylor performed to "How Can I Be Sure," performed live by Brigati. They were another interesting couple to watch, and they really finished on a high, featuring a move where he grabbed her by the ankles and swung her up and down, her head coming VERY close to the ice surface! Highly entertaining.

The Precisely Right Intermediate Synchro Team skated to the "How to Train Your Dragon" soundtrack and gave a solid perforamnce as well. Again, I'm in No Teknik when it comes to Synchro, so it looked good to me!

Feliciz Zhang performed to "The Prayer" by Josh Groban, and this was stunning. Gorgeous, high double axel and she was quite ethereal. This is probably the best I hae ever seen her skate. She was so fluid, and graceful, simply excellent.

Samantha Cesario skated to "Don't Rain on my Parade" by the Glee Cast, and this was a fun, uptempo number. This girl can really work a crowd and that double axel was gorgeous. She also did a layback with a nice biellmann spin, so looks to be back in fine form and fully recovered from that January back injury! Good for her. She was attempting and landing fully rotated triple flips on the practice session, but she went for a double in the show.

Allison Reed and Otar Japaridze skated to "The Messiah Will Come" and "Oh Pretty Woman" by Gary Moore. They look to be much improed from last year already, and they had a fun, fast paced free dance that was enjoyable to watch! They are also headed to Moscow next week, so tht was very nice of them to stop by!

Sydney Jones performed to "Let Me Be Your Wings" by Barry Manilow. Good, solid performance by her. A bit of a funny side note, some of her friends kept on shouting "SMILE!" before she started and she shouted back "I AM smiling!" That was funny.

Now, the next performance was one that I will never forget. Nicole Bobek skated to "Hallelujah" by KD Lang, and this was really a special moment for everyone there. She skated with such freedom and her interpretation of such a classic piece was a pleasure to watch. Thinking about her past and how much she has overcome to be at this point is so heartwarming. She brought many audience members to tears, including myself. Just a beautiful and 100% genuine performance.

Emily Hughes skated her second solo to "Proud Mary"and she just did her usual Emily thing! Great skater, great performance, she can just relate to a crowd so well. She has so much power in her skating, it's extraordinary.

Kimmie Meissner skated her second piece to "Halo" by Beyonce, and this was soooooo much better than her first number! She skated with confidence and much more speed and she hit a nice double axel! Shr really found her groove with this performance and she looked thrilled after it was over. Good for her.

Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov closed the show with "Time to Say Goodbye" by Sara Brightman. They still have their magic, even after all of these years. Beautiful lifts and meaningful and purposeful choreography. It was a great end to a fantastic show.

The finale was set to "Good Love," performed by Eddie Brigati and it was also choreographed by Chika. The entire cast was featured, and this was REALLY fun. The whole crowd got into it. The elite skaters each performed a signature move in the center, while the younger skaters performed on the sides of the rink. It really ended the whole night with a bang!

Overall, Skate for Love was absolutely excellent. Great performances, great music, and all proceeds went to a great cause! I would gladly attend next year's show, as rumors were already flying about a second annual. The whole thing was great fun.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I wonder how long Kimmie and Emily had to practice the programs they did with the live performer. I think most of the skaters only arrived the day before the show. They were probably relatively new programs which may have led to a little hesitation.

I didn't see all the skaters in the second half, but I also wanted to mention how impressed I was with Olivia Yao. I had never seen her before (at least that I recalled), but she had a very nice poise and presence on the ice in addition to technical skill.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Jenna, thanks for your report.

I wish a could have been there.
    You made me feel as though I was.

vCash
    Thanks for your kind report, Jenna!

Thinking about her past and how much she has overcome to be at this point is so heartwarming.She brought many audience members to tears, including myself. Just a beautiful and 100% genuine performance.
    so happy to hear that. I really wish her the best.( finger crossed )
    Last edited by vada5553; 04-19-2011 at 01:05 AM. Reason: adding quote:(

vCash
    I found 2 videos

Penny Coomes & Nicholas Buckland
    http://youtu.be/W1GYU5i20Fw

Samantha Cesario
    http://youtu.be/C7oRH-ciVHo

vCash
    I give you, Nicole Bobek.

vCash
    I give you, Nicole Bobek.
    How delightful to see her skate like that. I'm impressed - a really touching performance given what she has been through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast