View Poll Results: Whose Recordings Do You Think Should Have Won A Grammy Award? (Multiple Choice)

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beach Boys (Brian Wilson won as a solo act in 2005)

14 22.58%
  • Bob Marley (his children have won Grammys)

15 24.19%
  • Buddy Holly

15 24.19%
  • Diana Ross

19 30.65%
  • The Doors

18 29.03%
  • Kiss

7 11.29%
  • Led Zeppelin

27 43.55%
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd

4 6.45%
  • Queen

47 75.81%
  • Talking Heads

9 14.52%
  • Tupac Shakur

5 8.06%
  • The Who

16 25.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    question - What is the difference between song of the year and record of the year? Who gets what - the singer? the songwriter?
    Song of the year is for the song itself, regardless of who is performing it. The record of the year refers to an actual recording (single as opposed to album).

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Physicist, and decided to complete his Ph.D. only a few years ago when he discovered the manuscript of his unfinished dissertation in his attic and thought it actually wasn't that bad....

http://chronicle.com/article/Queen-G...st-Under/39442
    Brian May is one of the coolest people in the world. He is an astrophysicist, IIRC.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Song of the year is for the song itself, regardless of who is performing it. The record of the year refers to an actual recording (single as opposed to album).
    Thanks.

So, for song of the year, does the Grammy go to the songwriter?

For record of the year, does the Grammy go to the performer?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Song of the year is essentially a song writing award. Record of the year goes to performer but perhaps producers also get in on the award?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Song of the year is essentially a song writing award. Record of the year goes to performer but perhaps producers also get in on the award?
    Song of the year Grammy goes to the composer(s) only. I think everyone assumed the award should only go to new songs, but in 1992, Irving Gordon won for "Unforgettable", first published in 1951. It was newly recorded by Natalie Cole with old vocals from her Dad added to the recording. I think they changed the rules after that (so that only newly written songs could be nominated), but I haven't found info to back that up.

Record of the year goes to those involved with the recording of the song. Those who win for the recording has changed over the years. From wikipedia:

The honorees through its history have been:

1959-1965: Artist only.
    1966-1998: Artist and producer.
    1999–present: Artist, producer, and engineer and/or mixer.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Heh... you sound like my buddy, Joe. He's no fan of hers, either. He hates the "c word", but he will use it in reference to her.
    I've heard that about her too. I know people who have met her and dealt with her, and truth be told, they said it was not a pleasant experience. Although I know of at least one person who met her and liked her. But it's her weak singing voice that I take issue with.

vCash
    I'm an awards nut, but the Grammys never appealed to me. I think it's just that there are so many artists out there putting out recordings, and albums that it's really hard to narrow the field down to actually choose what's the best of that year. Also, music is the most subjective artform and really doesn't make any sense, for me, to have an award show. Music either hits you or it doesn't.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12