Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Have you ever dreamed of being like the Elite Skaters or Competitors you have seen?

Ok...I myself have always thought about this. So I thought it would make a great topic. What I thought I'd ask today is if any of us here have ever dreamed about becoming or being like the Elite Skaters (like at Nationals) or at least the Freestyle Competitors (like at the Nutmeg Games) that we have seen at Competitions and what-not? I myself surely have dreamed and wished I could at least be like # 2....and here's why. I sometimes just feel and wish when I see and even meet these kids that I could be right in their place and skate just as well as they can. Especailly since I have found some of them to be very,very nice. I have even made friends with some. What about you all?

vCash
    I haven't thought about being any particular skater, but when I am listening to music on the radio or cd in the car or at home, I can imagine myself skating to the music doing all kinds of edges and moves in the field and spirals and steps even though I can't skate I would love to be able to do those moves, or if it's not me, then I wish I could choreograph a skating programme for someone

vCash
    Fun topic! Like skatefan, I sometimes fancy myself skating a short program while listening to certain classical pieces. Realistically I'm too old to be skating at an elite level and quite frankly I'm not sure I would have had the inner drive to advance up the ranks... but it's fun to fantasize a little bit.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Of course! When I was little I pretended I was Peggy Fleming as I "skated" on my Mom's freshly waxed wood floors in my socks! More recently, I dreamed about Charlie White after seeing him at a SOI show last spring! (he is just so darn cute).

vCash
    Yeah, I'm always trying to "cut" programs out of music-I can totally see myself skating and pushing my way through the ranks. I'm 17, so I don't see it happening, but you never know-maybe I'll be an adult competitor!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    Of course! When I was little I pretended I was Peggy Fleming as I "skated" on my Mom's freshly waxed wood floors in my socks! More recently, I dreamed about Charlie White after seeing him at a SOI show last spring! (he is just so darn cute).
    Cool. When I was little, I pretended I was Irina Rodnina, and threw myself on the floor doing my version of a death spiral.
    Nowadays... It's not that a dream of being any particular skater, but I certainly ponder what it takes to get to elite level, and sport psychology is interesting to me.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I don't think of myself as being a particular skater, but I do think of myself as being a great skater. I have wonderful technique and beautiful presentation. Not only that I am a trend setter. I am World Champion. Everyone wants to beat me, but I always come out on top because I always come up with jump combinations that no one else can do. Forever #1

vCash
    When I am riding my horse I choose either of Tara's oly programs...or Yu-Na's long...and envision their courage...pace myself to the music...and can put side my fear as I jump the jumps.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Every damn day. Every time I see skating. Every time I hear music.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    No, but when I hear music, I choreograph a program for a favorite skater.

vCash
    Of course. I'd doubt there's a skater in the world that hasn't had that dream.

My situation is unusual; my favourites are all men, none of the women particularly stand out to me (although I think the major reason I steer well clear of Yuna Kim or Mao Asada is their legions of fans). So it's not quite the same, but it's still there. It's a nice dream to have, a nice little something to envisage on the edge of sleep. I know it won't happen for me - 22 and only just landing my salchow jump is rather late - but maybe there is a little girl or boy out there who shares my dream, who can make it.

And there is music, sometimes when I hear it I imagine myself, or my favourites, skating to it; with my only competitive favourite yet to reveal his competition music for next season and unlikely to before the season, making up programs for him in my head has become quite the pasttime! And I can't help but be drawn to music that my favourites have used. Amongst my presentations to my coach when we were selecting music for this season was Gladiator, Tango Amore, Tosca, and Nijinsky (for the record, we went with Gladiator).

I will always keep my dream, even as the years slip by and it becomes ever more unrealistic; for if we cannot dream, then what do we have? Dreams are the foundations of joy and of love, and without those, the world would be a very dark place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    No, but when I hear music, I choreograph a program for a favorite skater.
    me too!! or my fave imaginary skater lol

vCash
    No, but I dreamed of being a someone like $peedy to reform this sport.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFairy View Post
    me too!! or my fave imaginary skater lol
    Me three. Have been working on Savchenko/ Szolkowy's new EX just recently
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    When I'm working out at the gym and doing a hard repetition of weights, I imagine I'm Midori Ito going into a triple axel [remember her power to get that height?], trying to uncork all that energy for an explosion of movement! or

Slightly OT, judging by all your body types and your mind set, what type of competitor would you be?

vCash
    Replying to the first question: I often think about choreographing skating programs, maybe due to having been a competitive ballroom dancer. But I still think actually choreographing skating would be fun! And of course in my imagination I am always the one who skates.

But realistically I would be one struggling skater with my weight of 83 kg (183 pounds) and height of 188 (6 ft 2)...

But to me imagining even dancing is important as I have recently been told by my doctor to stop it and am rapidly losing my ability to even walk... So, skating could never happen but in my imagination I am the best in the world

vCash
    I've always envied the dancer/skaters like Sarah Kawahara and Katherine Healy. The way they make simple moves look unique and important and the way they capture every note of music.

I'm used to skating but I've always found dance a little intimidating. There is so much going on at once!

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    I've wanted lessons since I was around 10. I think I especially wanted them at 19 and 20. Money was always the issue. I'm 29, now, and I get kinda sad whenever I see a new young talent, and wish it'd been me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Slightly OT, judging by all your body types and your mind set, what type of competitor would you be?
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by type of competitor, but my discipline would always be freestyle; I love the jumps. And considering I can count the number of men at my rink who figure skate on one hand, I think pairs is out!

I'm 5'9" and reasonably leggy, but I'm also very stocky. I've been fighting my weight for years and I think I could lose ten kilos and still be stocky. But if there's one thing I can be, it's fiercely competitive. If I latch onto something, you'd have to kill me before I let it go. (Which is probably why both my knees are purple at the moment.) I don't just want to skate and pass my levels; I want to compete, and I want to be the best I can. A lot of people didn't understand why I got upset when the judge passed my free skate 1 but said she wanted to see better body position next time; to me it just means I didn't work hard enough!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieBgood View Post
    I've wanted lessons since I was around 10. I think I especially wanted them at 19 and 20. Money was always the issue. I'm 29, now, and I get kinda sad whenever I see a new young talent, and wish it'd been me.
    Go for them now if you can afford them. It can still be you. One of my coach's other students is a 60+ year old Ice Dancer who will be competing at Australian Adult Nationals!

vCash
    i would love to be like katia gordeeva

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast