Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zhenya271 View Post
    Wasn't there a thread here a year or so ago featuring an article about someone, maybe PETA, suggesting that Ben &Jerrys use breast milk in their production?!

I wonder if the mothers have to stay away from foods like garlic and broccoli. Maybe their babies eventually get use to it, but who wants ice cream with a hint of garlic?
    mmmm... garlic ice-cream. They have it at the Gilroy Garlic Festival every year.

vCash
    ^^^ I've never been, but I remember how heavenly it smelled driving through there!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Has anyone actually tried it and reported back?
    Umm.....no. I work quite near to the area where the shop is, but to be honest, I think it's a publicity stunt. Despite working close by, no one at my work had ever heard of this shop. And none of us want to spend £15 on it.

Anyway, I'm a little sceptical about how much milk is actually in it. There isn't a lot of milk in ice cream, is there? It's mainly cream. How much cream is there in breast milk? They don't have that much of it (small donations from 15 women) so there must be very small amounts in the actual ice cream.

This brings me back to my original points. It's for publicity. Or people with fetishes and serious mother issues

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I don't think so. My theory is that there is an innate ewww factor when it comes to other people's bodily secretions (unless we are close to them ) because, let's face it, they are a potential source of contagion.

And when it comes to animals, there are far less serious pathogens we can catch from theirs, in terms of bugs jumping species. One exception is of course Creutzfeldt-Jakob aka mad cow but that's pretty recent in terms of evolutionary development.
    I think you're on to something with the innate eww factor and the bodily secretions of others.

You're also right about the contagion thing; there are far fewer things we're going to catch from a cow than from another human. My dad is a dairy farmer, and the things cows catch and get vaccinated for is quite a different list from what humans can catch and get vaccinated against. BSE/Creutzfeldt-Jakob is an exception, but it can't be transmitted through milk. I'm also pretty confident that, at least in the US, the meat supply is safe with the various regulations on what can and cannot be fed to livestock, the age that the livestock has to be under if it's for human consumption, etc.

Going back to breast milk vs. cows' milk for human consumption, my thought on it is that I know where my cows are sleeping at night. I'm reasonably sure I know where everyone else's cows are sleeping at night. Notsomuch with random women who are donating their breastmilk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post

Going back to breast milk vs. cows' milk for human consumption, my thought on it is that I know where my cows are sleeping at night. I'm reasonably sure I know where everyone else's cows are sleeping at night. Notsomuch with random women who are donating their breastmilk.
    I assume these women sleep in a bed I have no idea where the cows who produce the milk I buy sleep. None at all. And to be honest, until you mentioned it, it might not even have crossed my mind

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I assume these women sleep in a bed I have no idea where the cows who produce the milk I buy sleep. None at all. And to be honest, until you mentioned it, it might not even have crossed my mind
    That was a little bit of a bad joke I heard at a conference several years ago. I'm assuming that, yes, most breastfeeding women would hopefully be sleeping in a bed at night, but, um, some might be, uh, doing other things with other people where they might pick up something, uh, contagious that could be passed on through their milk...

With the caveat that cows hardly ever truly go to sleep, most spend their nights out on pasture or in stalls in a barn, not doing things with others.

Basically, you don't always know what humans (even breastfeeding ones) have been up to.

vCash

Basically, you don't always know what humans (even breastfeeding ones) have been up to.
    Right, got it

Everything I've read on this states that the women were carefully selected and tested, so it should be safe. Still, I'd rather they be donating milk to a hospital milk bank which can feed sick babies, rather than to an ice cream shop.

vCash
    That was a little bit of a bad joke I heard at a conference several years ago. I'm assuming that, yes, most breastfeeding women would hopefully be sleeping in a bed at night, but, um, some might be, uh, doing other things with other people where they might pick up something, uh, contagious that could be passed on through their milk...

With the caveat that cows hardly ever truly go to sleep, most spend their nights out on pasture or in stalls in a barn, not doing things with others.

The article included a statement that breast milk was tested like donated blood.
    In the early 80's, breast milk donations were done for infants whose mothers could not produce milk or had stopped breast feeding and their infants had a milk-soy protein intolerance severe enough for the IV nutritional administration. These were babies who would have died because of the severity of their allergy. AFAIK, the advent of newer infant formulas and the discovery that AIDS could be transmitted via breast milk, these donations ceased or decrease demand.

I do find it a EWWW factor, but just putting a different view on it.

vCash
    Still, I'd rather they be donating milk to a hospital milk bank which can feed sick babies, rather than to an ice cream shop.
    Definitely. Even if the milk has been tested, is safe, and a person isn't squicked out by the idea, the sick babies need it worse.

vCash
    And I don't think that this kind of publicity is helping reduce the squick factor when it comes to breastfeeding infants in public. People still get grossed out by that, and this ice cream isn't helping matters!

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I want bitty!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    And I don't think that this kind of publicity is helping reduce the squick factor when it comes to breastfeeding infants in public. People still get grossed out by that, and this ice cream isn't helping matters!
    Anyone who gets squicked out by breastfeeding in public really needs to get a life. Much better that the baby is sucking mummy's tit than screaming its head off innit.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yes, especially since most moms want privacy and quiet for the baby to eat and cover themselves with a blanket. Not that the site of a naked boob dripping with milk would offend me but I do think it's a private and intimate thing. If however someone wants to let it all hangout, I really don't care.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Umm.....no. I work quite near to the area where the shop is, but to be honest, I think it's a publicity stunt. Despite working close by, no one at my work had ever heard of this shop. And none of us want to spend £15 on it.
    Yet they sold out right away.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Anyone who gets squicked out by breastfeeding in public really needs to get a life. Much better that the baby is sucking mummy's tit than screaming its head off innit.
    I totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Yet they sold out right away.
    Well...Covent Garden is near Soho, aka, fetish central. I'm not surprised. I'd be surprised if any of my colleagues bought it given we all earn the same meagre salary, but I can imagine that the wide publicity and unique nature of it would pique some interest...

vCash
    Promoters would be myopic if they did not hire this lady to promote it: http://milena.in/images/velba/Milena_Velba_1.jpg Selling point: All Natural Ingredients!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I don't think so. My theory is that there is an innate ewww factor when it comes to other people's bodily secretions (unless we are close to them ) because, let's face it, they are a potential source of contagion.
    samples taken for testing to see whether it's fit for consumption ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...officials.html

vCash

vCash
    Gaga is an idiot. This article has the owner's reaction, and he's right. She can't lay claim to the word and most of her stuff is recycled. And as much as I like Lady Gaga's outrageousness, that meat dress was just revolting, so she's a tad hypocritical. Besides - it had been taken off the shelves before she started.

Here is an article about a woman who tasted it before though.

The owner of this parlour is a PR genius. He must have drummed up so much business because of this publicity. Even I want to go and check it out

vCash
    can vegans have human breast milk?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast