Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Me thinks Evora/Ladwig will also retire. Seems awfully hard to be a newlywed and still training with someone else. So sad.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    FYI: I heard that Jeremy was retiring after 4CC anyway so I don't think that his injury had anything to do with it. I wish they had been able to skate one last time though. Best wishes to both of them in whatever comes next in their respective careers.

And Amanda and Mark have no immediate plans to retire as far as I know to answer a question that someone asked earlier in this thread. Their career decisions are always made with their interests in mind, not by other people's decisions.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Me thinks Evora/Ladwig will also retire. Seems awfully hard to be a newlywed and still training with someone else. So sad.
    No! Why would they retire now? Denney/Barrett are a perfect example of how important it is to have strong pair skills. Skaters and coaches in the US always seem to think that any skater with a halfway decent triple toe can always switch to or fall back on pairs; well, Denney/Barrett had the sbs jumps (and the throws) but not much else. That's what ultimately cost them. You need years together to become a strong pair team and Evora/Ladwig have already put in those years together. They suffered through many years of mediocre results that would have split up most American teams. Now, on the strength of their pairs skills, they are gaining some success. Not to mention the team envelope money...

vCash
    I heard that Jeremy was retiring after 4CC anyway
    That must have been a last minute decision if indeed what you heard is true. Why would Jeremy cause all the hard feelings (and there are many) at his former rink, why would Zimmerman relocate, etc. - all that disruption in so many lives for a few months of competition? Not likely.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I never thought they were a great match. She is a kid going through driver's ed, prom, and college applications, and he's a man about to get married, buy a house, maybe start a family. There was no emotional connection on the ice and they didn't complement each other physically. But still, they had a decent season, so the split surprises me. Would they still split if the US had 3 worlds spots?

vCash
    I just saw this by chance on her facebook because I was creeping another skater. I saw stuff like good luck with your partner search, etc. and was like whoaaaaaa.. what?! so I came here, thinking maybe I was one of the first who knew about it, but I guess not. lol. I'm actually not that surprised, now that I think about it. He was a lot older than she is. I don't know if the engagement has that much to do with it because Amanda and Mark seem to be continuing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    That must have been a last minute decision if indeed what you heard is true. Why would Jeremy cause all the hard feelings (and there are many) at his former rink, why would Zimmerman relocate, etc. - all that disruption in so many lives for a few months of competition? Not likely.
    No inside info here, but we don't know when this decision was made. Maybe it was after nationals or sometime during the season after the move to Zimmerman occurred.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ers View Post
    Rumor mill has H Denney with Frazier so Caydee having someone there would make sense. All the best to Jeremy as he transitions to a new phase in his career--he should pick a different location and really make his own mark as a coach.
    I mean this in the nicest way, how many pairs coaches are needed in Florida? But, I guess Amanda is there...

OTOH, how many among us can say we have won a Bronze, Silver and Gold US National Medal? Good for them.
    Last edited by Lacey; 02-25-2011 at 01:09 AM.

vCash
    US pairs REALLY don't seem to handle frustration/adversity well. This is sad. Like their skating or not, D/B were a top US pair, and the field just weakened significantly. Hopefully Denney can find another partner... She seems very determined and she's still very young.

I know Barrett is almost 27, but I doubt his age played much of a factor in this, as D/B both seemed excited to continue (27 isn't that old for a pair guy anyway). But this year didn't go how they were expecting (even if you ignore the nasty injury Barrett suffered that abruptly ended their season). D/B still didn't medal on the Grand Prix, and finished only 3rd in the LP at Nationals with a strong performance. When you are skating your best (or close to it) and still not getting the results you expect, that means something else is wrong...And for D/B, those things involve posture/lines/connection to each other, etc... Unlike jumps, spins, presentation, etc where you can work your butt off in training to improve, these things you kind of either have or you don't. I'm not sure how much improvement in an area like posture we could really see from a 26 yr old. John Zimmerman can only do so much to erase years of no ballet training (well, it at least seemed like he had little ballet training). I don't know how fixable D/B's lack of emotional connection with each other was either. Some pairs have an "it factor" together and some don't. This doesn't mean D/B had to quit and couldn't do better than they did this season, but I could see why Barrett may have gotten very frustrated. He's an Olympian, finished 7th in the world, and he may not think it can get much better than that in the future no matter how they skated. It must be a lot easier to stay motivated when you can say, "Okay, if I just land X jump and Y jump better next time, I will move up the standings," rather than, "No matter how well I land everything, I still probably won't move up."

US Pairs are just worrisome in general. Will Y/C quit if they miss Worlds next year? I hope not. It would be nice to see a US pair win, fall down, and get back up again. Then again, if there are any more splits, Y/C really won't have worry about missing Worlds. It really makes you appreciate E/L and the way they kept fighting through all the mediocre years until they finally broke through... But even in their case, would they have continued that long had they won a Nat'l title early on, and then had those mediocre years? Who knows.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 02-25-2011 at 01:34 AM.

vCash
    Very good points. We keep seeing pairs breakup and then a recycling of partners. I understand how experience can be a draw however if you browse IPS there seems to be some young talent with an interest in pairs albeit minimal "experience" US may want to think out of box and try new match ups in hopes of longer term pairings--I.e Marley/Brubaker. Would like to see E/L continue on as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    US Pairs are just worrisome in general
    This.

vCash
    stjeaskategym, I very much agree.
    Wishing Jeremy the best in the new phase of his life!
    improving my ballad- like lines

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    vCash
    FWIW, I heard about Jeremy's retirement plans not long after I got home from Greensboro and apparently he'd all ready talked to John Z and Caydee about his decision before I even heard about it. 4CC was going to be their last competition together and I'm still bummed out that the injury robbed them of that experience. I enjoyed their LP this year.

And this is just my opinion from following Amanda & Mark for the majority of their career, but they absolutely love skating and everything that goes with it (training, competing, traveling, etc). I think as long as they could somehow make it work financially and personally, they were going to keep skating even through all their earlier rough times. It may have just been the fangirl in me back when I first saw them, but I always thought they had what it took to make it onto the US Nats podium. I get a goofy grin on my face now watching them see all their dreams come true. It's so cool to read all the nice comments people have written about them these last few years and I know they appreciate all that fan support too. I think they'll keep skating as long as it remains fun for them and I hope Caitlyn and John have that same mindset too.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    I think they'll keep skating as long as it remains fun for them and I hope Caitlyn and John have that same mindset too.
    Who exactly is John --the new partner?

And, thank you for the short timeline of when Jeremy's retirement plans started being discussed.

vCash
    HeatherC, I just had to chime in over at icenetwork, there were some comments about how US pairs never stay together, aren't "hungry", blah, blah...and I was "oh yeah, what about Evora/Ladwig"? I admire them a lot for staying together through thick and thin and I think they are now reaping the benefits of staying power. I see them as getting even stronger. I loved seeing them at Nationals and was even more impressed with how they look live. What happened at 4CCs only strengthened my admiration of them. I don't see them as ready to retire, either.

Also, in regard to the comment upthread about being a newlywed and training with someone else...Mark has been married for a while, right? Doesn't seem to be a problem at all for them! I heard Amanda say in an interview that Jeremy understands pair partnership and it isn't a problem for him. I'm sure it isn't a problem at all for Mark or Amanda and their respective loved ones.

Anyway, wishing Caydee and Jeremy all the best in their future endeavors!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Thanks for filling us in, Heather C. I love all of the US top pairs and at Nationals this year I wanted them all to win. I'm bummed that Caydee and Jeremy are calling it quits.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Who exactly is John --the new partner?

And, thank you for the short timeline of when Jeremy's retirement plans started being discussed.
    Sorry, I was speaking about Caitlyn Yankowskas & John Coughlin (someone speculated about them quitting before the next Olys too).

Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    HeatherC, I just had to chime in over at icenetwork, there were some comments about how US pairs never stay together, aren't "hungry", blah, blah...and I was "oh yeah, what about Evora/Ladwig"? I admire them a lot for staying together through thick and thin and I think they are now reaping the benefits of staying power. I see them as getting even stronger. I loved seeing them at Nationals and was even more impressed with how they look live. What happened at 4CCs only strengthened my admiration of them. I don't see them as ready to retire, either.

Also, in regard to the comment upthread about being a newlywed and training with someone else...Mark has been married for a while, right? Doesn't seem to be a problem at all for them! I heard Amanda say in an interview that Jeremy understands pair partnership and it isn't a problem for him. I'm sure it isn't a problem at all for Mark or Amanda and their respective loved ones.

Anyway, wishing Caydee and Jeremy all the best in their future endeavors!
    They have definitely been through the gamut of emotions in their career and I admire them too for sticking together through everything. And Mark has been married since 2006 while Amanda & Jeremy have been together for several years now, so yeah, they definitely have no issues with any of the off ice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    Thanks for filling us in, Heather C. I love all of the US top pairs and at Nationals this year I wanted them all to win. I'm bummed that Caydee and Jeremy are calling it quits.
    No problem. And for the record, I love all the US pairs teams too although I do like one of the pairs more than the others, LOL

Awaiting Validation
    vCash

Meedins and Denney

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Wonder if she has a secret deal worked out with Drew Meekins.
    With all due respect availability is not a skill set. Caydee is fairly limited in his jumping ability and Meekins is worse. He has a trip sal at best. and even that isnt consistent.

vCash
    I wouldn't say Denney is "fairly limited" in jumping ability. Girl could do a solid triple lutz and triple flip when she was skating singles.

vCash
    Denney and Barrett came really far, really fast, while still not having a great "pair" quality to their skating. That may say more about the state of pairs skating than about D&B. I didn't see any great improvement this year in the way they looked together - unison and polish, not the SBS jumps. McLaughlin & Brubaker had much better unison as juniors than D&B did as seniors, imo, though I don't know whether McLaughlin was just really, really talented in that area, or really, really well coached. I'll be very curious to see whether Caydee can begin to move in a better way with a new partner and new coaching.

And best wishes to Jeremy. He's managed a huge amount these past couple of years -- I would guess that four years ago he would have never believed that he'd be going to the Olympics, and he'll always have that memory.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast