Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Shizuka Arakawa's triple-triples video

Here is my next video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KWGp1vFwE0 This time: Shizuka Arakawa. It's amazing how it goes from simple 3T+3T to 3S+3T+3L! If you know any other videos where she landed triple-triples please let me know so that I can add it to the video.

Enjoy, share & comment!

vCash
    Nice job.

I know she did 3toe/3toe in 1995 at Nebelhorn, probably at Junior Worlds that year too.

and a 3 Lutz/3toe at the 98 Olympics (sp) and at the 2004 worlds sp too.

vCash
    There are some here (in practice at '06 Olys). Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozQjH8C-Plc

ETA: Sorry, looks like you may have these already!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    She is a FREAK!!! Some of her best were in practice. Her 3toe/3toe/3loop wasn't bad at all! She was still doing these combos in 2010? Wow. I don't blame her for stopping with her Olympic gold but she clearly could have challenged for another gold in 2010. Was she thinking of a comeback and that is why she was jumping so well? Or did she go pro? Some people just can throw them, I guess.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Watching this video, Christina Gao really reminds me of Shizuka in some ways. I never really noticed it before, but now i can totally see it.

vCash
    Shiz landed a lutz/loop at a practice session for Turino. It was featured on Olympic Ice episode 9, right after they showed Fumie and Jamie Sale boasting that she was the complete package.

vCash
    Thank you for all info about combos. I thought I checked her Worlds 2004 SP but apperently I did not. And I didn't find any triple-triple landed in the SP but I know she wanted to land them in SPs too from what commentators said. I will add all the combos you mentioned. I know that she landed two triple-triples in GPF 2002-2003 FS but I can't find the video . She might have landed the combos at Campbell's 2005 and Japan International Challenge 2005 as well.

vCash
    how can she perform a 3lz-3lp like that now? And to think it was more rotated that the one she did in the olympics sp warm-up!!! She was crazy to retire.

vCash
    I think Shizuka is a great skater. For me, far more talented than Yuna or Mao are but she never struck me as the competitor they are/were.
    The fact her career was so up and down, she was a late bloomer winning worlds at 22 and wanting to retire right afterwards... much like Yuka Sato, brilliant skater not so fond of competition.
    The only thing I've missed this years after Torino is the lack of a professional circuit with Worlds Pro, Challenge of Champions....where we could have seen her more and Shizuka would have flourished as a pro-skater even more

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    where we could have seen her more and Shizuka would have flourished as a pro-skater even more
    Well, she has taken up producing duties for shows in her home country successfully, so she seems to have a vision of what entertaining skating should be. I think she could try to resurrect some kind of pro-circuit.

vCash
    OMG, Shizuka is phenomenal.
    She is so straight in the air. Everything she does is beautiful, even when cheated !

vCash
    This girl is amazing! She attempted so many 3+3 combinations during her career!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    Nice job.

I know she did 3toe/3toe in 1995 at Nebelhorn, probably at Junior Worlds that year too.

and a 3 Lutz/3toe at the 98 Olympics (sp) and at the 2004 worlds sp too.
    I found a video of Nebelhorn EX,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dVd6...eature=related
    She does the 3toe/3toe at 53 seconds

There's also a video of her Junior Worlds 3/3 but she fell on the second toe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stillalive View Post
    how can she perform a 3lz-3lp like that now? And to think it was more rotated that the one she did in the olympics sp warm-up!!! She was crazy to retire.
    She did 3Lz+3L in the warm-up at the Olympics :O? I had no idea! I will include that of course. And I've already found Olympic Ice episode where she landed this combo beautifuly and David Pelletier said after watching it: "I did one of these and then I woke up" .

vCash
    To think, between 1998 and 2003 she couldn't even make the Japanese team (since she had no personality or any kind of decent program construction). What could have been had she found TT in, say, 1998. 2002 Champion?

vCash
    Thanks for this video. It's absolutely amazing how she's able to do a 3l as the THIRD jump in a combo, basically from a standstill. And they don't even seem to be cheated. Shizuka

vCash
    Yes, an excellent compendium. And when I review videos of her recent exhibitions, I find myself thinking, her jumps are solid..., could she make a competitive come back?

vCash
    I love this thread!

The best combo's she did are the 3s-3t in practice at Torino and the 3z-3t at Skate Canada in 03. I can watch those alllll day. I loe how straight she is in the air, her straight leg on exit, and the speed she comes out of the jumps with. She has unmatched power-to-elegance ratio IMO.

I literally think Arakawa is thee most talented female skater of the last decade. Yes, I know I'm biased, and no, she can't match the competitive consistency of many of her contempories, but in terms of sheer talent, basic skills, posture and jump technique, I really think she's the best (/underrated)

It's also crazy how she is doing a 3z-3lp in practice still today! It's as good as any 3-3 she did in her amateur career. People in this thread are asking why she retired when she can clearly still match the tech content of todays ladies. Well, the answer is actually quite obvious if you look at her wildly inconsistent results - Shizuka didn't enjoy competing. For someone of her immense talent, to never win a Nats title after 99, to win only one GP, and two medals at the GPF, is kinda ridiculous, but competition never really brought out the best in her on a consistent enough basis. Of course, she has the two big titles, and for that I couldn't care less about what else she did or did not win. So I'm happy. And I know that Shiz is much happier skating in and organising professional shows - so that's why she's not amateur anymore, even though she clearly still could be.

Thanks so much for the vid!
    Last edited by Loves_Shizuka; 02-26-2011 at 10:24 AM.

vCash
    She did a beautiful 3S+3T+2R at a pro competition after her retirement:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeCcQNgMrvQ

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    That was gorgeous... I wish she made it into a short program during her competitive days. Even if some of her 3+3's were slightly short of rotation in the past, she did manage to get tons of flow out of those triples. And of course her lilting knees really stood out for me. I still wish she hadn't retired so soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast