Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    LOL, on the picture, Tara has a ring at almost every toe !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Yes--one meaning of ironic is "coincidental" or "unexpected," and that would definitely apply here.
    Only if you are borrowing Alanis Morisette's dictionary

vCash
    like the article in the IFs magazine. regarding tara,

good luck in future--Tara, stay happy and healthy

vCash
    Congratulations to Tara!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I blame Alanis Morissette for most people's misunderstanding of the word "ironic", myself included before I got a stern lecture from a college English professor a couple years ago.

Irony only has one meaning, and that's when something happens that has an unintended consequence, usually the opposite of what is suppose to happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

Basically, it would have been ironic had Michelle been wearing gold and Tara silver...kind of.
    Last edited by IceJunkie; 02-23-2011 at 11:24 PM.

vCash
    That was a very nice article, and it was especially nice to see Tara so complimentary toward her SOI castmates considering there was definitely tension there in the past. She has definitely grown up. She has a bright future in skating commentary; it will be fun to see her back on the ice, too.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Well, perhaps Alanis and Random House have merged then, because the definition I mentioned came from the latter. In addition, RH lists the following as an example: It was ironic that I was seated next to my ex-husband at the dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    Irony only has one meaning, and that's when something happens that has an unintended consequence, usually the opposite of what is suppose to happen.
    Perhaps originally, but this link lists 8 definitions:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

Of course, they do run parallel to a lot of what your Wikipedia article said. In the end, though, while there is a common thread running through most of the definitions, something can be ironic without having to be the opposite of what's supposed to happen, although that sense is used more often. And certainly some of the things in Alanis's song aren't particularly ironic, such as "raaaaaaaaaaain...on your wedding day," unless it only rains twice a year or something.
    Last edited by neptune; 02-24-2011 at 11:16 AM.

vCash
    Well, perhaps Alanis and Random House have merged then, because the definition I mentioned came from the latter. In addition, RH lists the following as an example: It was ironic that I was seated next to my ex-husband at the dinner.
    I have tried to google links to a Rndom House definition of the word but can't find one. If the example is, as you state, then the definition is simply wrong. Others have set out the definition of irony and co-incidence or things like it are. The above example i suppose could be considered sardonic if set up in the right context, but ironic....not so sure.

Perhaps originally, but this link lists 8 definitions:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

Of course, they do run parallel to a lot of what your Wikipedia article said. In the end, though, while there is a common thread running through most of the definitions, something can be ironic without having to be the opposite of what's supposed to happen, although that sense is used more often. And certainly some of the things in Alanis's song aren't particularly ironic, such as "raaaaaaaaaaain...on your wedding day," unless it only rains twice a year or something.
    Well the link you provided backs up the proper definition of irony and doesn't mention co-incidence or unexpected things so I think the defnition is safe

Sorry to go on, it is one of my "issues"....along with people who say they "could care less"!

Ant

vCash
    I have tried to google links to a Rndom House definition of the word but can't find one.
    Here ya go:

http://dictionary.infoplease.com/ironic

If the example is, as you state, then the definition is simply wrong.
    So Random House is simply "wrong," huh?

Others have set out the definition of irony and co-incidence or things like it are. The above example i suppose could be considered sardonic if set up in the right context, but ironic....not so sure.
    Here's a snippet from an excellent discussion of irony:

http://grammar.about.com/od/rhetoric...onyobserve.htm

As J.A. Cuddon says in A Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory (Basil Blackwell, 1979), irony "eludes definition," and "this elusiveness is one of the main reasons why it is a source of so much fascinated inquiry and speculation."

To encourage further speculation (rather than reduce this complex trope to simplistic explanations), we've gathered a variety of definitions and interpretations of irony, both ancient and modern. Here you'll find some recurrent themes as well as some points of disagreement. Does any one of these writers provide the single "right answer" to our question? No. But all provide food for thought.

So, in a nutshell, there's not really a "right" answer about irony. To me, irony often implies something fateful. A definition of cosmic irony is: "the idea that fate, destiny, or a god controls and toys with human hopes and expectations."

Something that's ironic is more than just coincidental IMO. Let's say that I'm minding my own business, but run into antmanb 3 times today. Is that ironic? Not really. But let's say I start off the day saying, "I'm never talking to antmanb again! I hope we move to different corners of the universe!!!" Before lunch, however, I run into antmanb at Wal-Mart, then a couple of hours later at the grocery store, and finally later that night at a movie! Would that be ironic? Assuming that I don't normally run into him that way, then I would say yes. It's as if fate were toying with me, saying, "You think you run the universe? Think again, dude."

The reason I could consider the outfits of Tara and Michelle ironic is that there's the idea of fate behind it. Here Tara and Michelle are just wearing whatever outfits they prefer, probably feeling (as most of us do) that they're simply doing as they please and that there's no particular rhyme or reason behind it. But then we see the photo, and suddenly the idea of fate toying with humans rears its head. Again, the idea is, "You may think you're completely running your own life, but there's something larger going on behind it all."

Well the link you provided backs up the proper definition of irony and doesn't mention co-incidence or unexpected things so I think the defnition is safe
    Please see the two links above.

Sorry to go on, it is one of my "issues"....along with people who say they "could care less"!
    The latter is different. Unlike the meaning of irony, this issue is black and white. If you mean that you don't care in the slightest, then saying, "I could care less" is simply incorrect. Of course, in informal contexts, most people won't care (no pun intended ), but the phrase is incorrect just the same.
    Last edited by neptune; 02-25-2011 at 12:27 AM.

vCash
    I remember learning 3 kinds of irony in school But what I remember most is the scene from Reality Bites when Winona Ryder's character, the english major, can't tell the woman she's interviewing with what irony is. AWESOME SCENE!

That pictures is really heartwarming. They both look FANTASTIC! And those dresses are gorgeous.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash

The reason I could consider the outfits of Tara and Michelle ironic is that there's the idea of fate behind it. Here Tara and Michelle are just wearing whatever outfits they prefer, probably feeling (as most of us do) that they're simply doing as they please and that there's no particular rhyme or reason behind it. But then we see the photo, and suddenly the idea of fate toying with humans rears its head. Again, the idea is, "You may think you're completely running your own life, but there's something larger going on behind it all."
    I would have said "basheert", rather than "ironic", but I agree that the choice of clothing is interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    I would have said "basheert", rather than "ironic", but I agree that the choice of clothing is interesting.
    Do you mean bashert?

Yes, that would certainly work too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shidduch

"Bashert...is a Yiddish word that means 'destiny.' It is often used in the context of one's divinely foreordained spouse or soulmate, who is called 'basherte' (female) or 'basherter' (male). It can also be used to express the seeming fate or destiny of an auspicious or important event, friendship, or happening."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I remember learning 3 kinds of irony in school
    Three kinds? Now isn't that ironic?

But what I remember most is the scene from Reality Bites when Winona Ryder's character, the english major, can't tell the woman she's interviewing with what irony is. AWESOME SCENE!
    Does she honestly not have a clue, or is she merely having problems coming up with a simplistic definition?

vCash
    Good grief are you serious? that just made me feel old.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Does anyone else find the colors of their dresses a bit......ironic?
    Maybe not ironic, but fitting, because Tara's dress is a little bit gold but mostly blank. Michelle's has a consistent pattern throughout.
    Last edited by leafygreens; 02-26-2011 at 07:25 PM.

vCash
    Lovely picture of Michelle and Tara. (Tara makes me think of Chelsie Hightower in that picture).

Thanks to the posters earlier on this thread for reminding me of her Color of Roses program

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks for finding it on YouTube. Beautiful program and one of my favorites of Tara's.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
    Lovely picture of Michelle and Tara. (Tara makes me think of Chelsie Hightower in that picture).

Thanks to the posters earlier on this thread for reminding me of her Color of Roses program
    Beautiful program. Tara grew so much as a pro.

Happy anny to Tara and congratulations on a truly wonderful, memorable skating career.

I didn't see the performances we're commemorating posted yet so here they are:
    sp-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBt7TGh3HWM
    lp-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZhIs...eature=related

vCash
    wow, it was when I was a kid in elementary school and though I've been rooting for MK forever, I still can't forget her face at the ending pose!

congrats, Tara!!!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123