Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    My ridiculously long, slightly Kurt-centric (or at least I babbled more about Kurt than anyone else) review of the San Jose show can be found here:

http://www.kurtfiles.com/soi/soireviews/sanjose11.php

I skipped the US tour last year, so I can't judge every year's show (though I did go to the Canadian one). But I thought this year's show made a real effort to try to touch back on the things that made Stars on Ice unique and great - the ensembles, personalities, transitions,etc. I don't think it lived up to the heights of the tour, but overall it was an enjoyable evening of skating with some solos I really liked and some nice ensembles. And I am SO happy Kurt's back on the US tour - and so is he! =)

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Evan's "El Tango de Roxanne" (to the music from Moulin Rouge) had a somewhat odd intro - he skated precisely and dramatically down the ice, while I think Joannie kind of vaguely danced in the shadows at the other end, and then as he got into his starting position for the number, she kind of skated down the side of the ice and off (not sure if it was Joannie, didn't get a clear look). I guess she was representing the elusive Roxanne, but it was a bit odd b/c she was *so* not highlighted.
    I've been wondering about this too, although I think it was Katia and not Joannie (Katia is a blonde now so I can see the confusion, especially in the dark) but what was the point of having her there?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I think I thought it was Joannie b/c the dress kind of looked like her "Objection" dress from earlier this season. And also, I mostly had my camera trained on Evan so I didn't look closely at her. But she never came near, so I fully believe it was Katia. That was definitely one of the odder transitions - the rest made more sense.

vCash
    I guess Joannie is retiring "My Immortal." I would have loved to see it live, but it's good that she's doing other numbers.. I would imagine it would have been very emotionally draining to skate that.

Clueless American
    vCash
    I got back from SOI Anaheim. It was a nice show. Loved the new small group number - Katia gets to do a lift with David in it. Sasha's Mein Herr was wonderful - my favorite of the night. I also enjoyed Evan's Roxanne, all of B&A, S&P's Scream, and Kurt's Steppin' Out number - plus the 50's group number was great. In the Anaheim audience today that got a shout out from Kurt were Rosalynn Sumners with husband Bob Kain, Meno & Sand, Peter Carruthers, Tara Lipinski and Ilia Kulik.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I can't believe I forgot to mention this: Kristi Yamaguchi was in the audience in San Jose, looking great. The spotlight couldn't find her when Kurt introduced her so he said: "she is very small" which was cute.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I can't believe I forgot to mention this: Kristi Yamaguchi was in the audience in San Jose, looking great. The spotlight couldn't find her when Kurt introduced her so he said: "she is very small" which was cute.
    Good for Kristi. She was in NY the night before at the Rise premier too, so she flew back in the AM and still went to the show.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Well, that's the awesomeness of Kristi.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I remember seeing Kristi, her 2 daughters, and her dad leaving the HP Pavillion in San Jose after an SOI show two years ago as I was waiting inside for the bus. She is really tiny in person. I didn't bother for an autograph, as it was late night around 11pm and I'm sure she was tired and wanted to go home.

vCash
    I was at the Anaheim show tonight as well. Also in the audience, but they didn't announce them, were John Zimmerman and Kyoko Ina. They were sitting with Renee Rocca. At intermission John had to show his ID to some personnel woman to get through the tunnel to backstage. (my God, just let this guy in, I mean, take a good look, honey). Tara got in with just a word, no ID.

Great show! Everybody was on. Kurt is still the master; Evan was very musical; Sasha did well; Katia was hot--and here she has a daughter graduating from high school; Jamie Sale is in phenomenal shape. I definitely got my money's worth.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Any falls in Anaheim?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Any falls in Anaheim?
    Nope. Everyone did well.

I LOVED, and I mean LOVED the clown program with Sasha, Kurt, and Todd. So, so cute.

vCash
    They probably didn't point out Ina & Zimmerman b/c they're current cast members, not past members =). They're doing the 6 shows Sale & Pelletier are not: Providence, RI, Boston, MA, Rochester, NY, Washington, DC, Portland, ME, Bridgeport, CT

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatepixie View Post
    Nope. Everyone did well.

I LOVED, and I mean LOVED the clown program with Sasha, Kurt, and Todd. So, so cute.
    Yeah, that was a cute program.

Glad they had no falls this time.

Did you see the mystery woman in the beginning of Evan's Tango? Did you get why she was there? I sure didn't.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Yeah, that was a cute program.

Glad they had no falls this time.

Did you see the mystery woman in the beginning of Evan's Tango? Did you get why she was there? I sure didn't.
    I didn't notice her. Doesn't mean she wasn't there, though -- just that when Evan's doing a program, I get tunnel vision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    I was at the Anaheim show tonight as well. Also in the audience, but they didn't announce them, were John Zimmerman and Kyoko Ina. They were sitting with Renee Rocca. At intermission John had to show his ID to some personnel woman to get through the tunnel to backstage. (my God, just let this guy in, I mean, take a good look, honey). Tara got in with just a word, no ID.

Great show! Everybody was on. Kurt is still the master; Evan was very musical; Sasha did well; Katia was hot--and here she has a daughter graduating from high school; Jamie Sale is in phenomenal shape. I definitely got my money's worth.
    Nooooo
    I was in Anaheim too and i didnt see him

Clueless American
    vCash
    I didn't see a "mystery women" during Evan's program either.

No falls. Some popped jumps though (Joannie popped her first salchow to a single in solidarity with the 4CC Canadian ladies , but she landed all her other jumps very well last night) and there were some stepped out of jumps.

When they pushed the box out in the clown/tramp number - I thought that's so tiny. I knew Sasha was in there (having seen the TV airing), but I couldn't believe she still fit in there!

vCash
    I think there was a picture of Cohen curled up in a roller bag once...she's pretty small, y'know...

vCash
    Sasha's also very flexible, I'm sure that helps her fit in the box She also has a balloon in there with her.

Re: Ina and Zimmerman being in Anaheim, I would guess they are there rehearsing with the cast and learning the parts they will be taking over for S&P. I am looking forward to seeing them skate together again in Boston!!

SOI posted a photo from last nights show http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...600935&theater
    Last edited by skamper23; 02-21-2011 at 09:36 PM.

vCash
    Does anyone know if any of the eligible skaters will be joining the tour after Worlds?
    "In no way do I think I stopped commanding a spotlight. I think I travel with one." -- Johnny Weir

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast