Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    vCash
    Thanks to everyone for all the great pictures!! Looking forward to our show April 2nd!!!!

vCash
    I am so excited, St. Paul show this afternoon!! I can't wait! I think we are going to try and get there an hour early and just walk around, and hopefully see Kristi Yamaguchi, she's in town for her book signing (i met her yesterday!) but how cool would it be to meet her two days in a row. I don't take pictures, but I usually do video. Eeeekk! I am so excited. Will let you guys know how everything went when I get home!

Plus Scott Hamilton is going to be there too!! YAH!

vCash
    I hope this works - this is my first time using Flickr!

Here are some photos from SOI in DC. http://www.flickr.com/photos/6057078...7626258411524/

vCash
    Nice job! We got this from the same angle -- there's Joannie's skirt flipping up just as in my photo! -- though yours was much clearer.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Nice job! We got this from the same angle -- there's Joannie's skirt flipping up just as in my photo! -- though yours was much clearer.
    Wow, I hadn't even noticed!

vCash
    Show was awesome!!! so great to see Scott Hamilton and Kristi Yamaguchi, saw her two days in a row, since I went to her book signing yesterday! also just found out that Kathleen Schmelz (sp?) lives in the area, and she was at the show too! great time, videos to come along with review!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by njtoddfan View Post
    Thanks to everyone for all the great pictures!! Looking forward to our show April 2nd!!!!

Same here. Keep spoiling us with reports and wonderful pictures!

vCash
    Evolution of Sasha's hair.

From San Jose:
    http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/phot...e/IMG_2189.jpg
    To Providence, the night before the big cut:
    http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/phot...e/IMG_7880.jpg
    To Boston:
    http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/phot...e/IMG_9168.jpg

And is it just me, or has Kyoko & John's headbanger gotten more insanely close to the ice on the downswing?
    http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/phot...e/IMG_9615.jpg
    I mean, it's always been pretty scary:
    http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/phot...e/img_0776.jpg
    (and whee! upswing:
    http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/phot...e/img_0777.jpg)
    but I think this was the first time in a while that a headbanger has genuinely freaked me out. I swear she was barely clearing the ice.

and I keep meaning to write a real review of Boston and Providence, since some of my impressions have changed since San Jose, but in the meantime, I just wanted to mention how I really like how Tanith & Ben's Flamenco program has a narrative structure to it. Loved how they turned the tables from this:
    http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/phot...e/IMG_8391.jpg
    to this:
    http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/phot...e/IMG_2705.jpg
    http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/phot...e/IMG_9499.jpg

Lots of melodrama, but quite effective.

And I just had to throw this in, just because. Watch it Kurt, or your face will freeze this way:
    http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/phot...e/IMG_9416.jpg

vCash
    Thanks for those comparisons Teenes. I agree re: Kyoko and John's head banger and I do like the way Tanith and Ben have re-vamped their Flamenco, I even like the costumes better than what they had Opening Night.

You know I was thinking that I don't think I've ever seen a SOI show change so much since Opening Night in Lake Placid. I'm really happy I got to see it again in Boston and I was trying to remember all the changes.

I love the group number On Golden Pond in the first half, this was not ready for Lake Placid...probably due to the fact that Katia, Jamie and David were working on Battle of the Blades almost until a week before the show.

I do miss the "Cheerleader" transition with Mike, Tanith and Ben to Bust a Move, I wish they left that in somewhere. Here's a picture http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...089708&theater

also in Tanith and Ben's Charleston transition Katia was originally in this Opening Night.

Joannie's second number is new since Lake Placid and I love it! Also really love that pink costume she has now!!

Sasha's dress for her first number was red, not sure I'm digging the new yellow dress or her new hair but I really like her Mein Herr number.

I'm thrilled Katia now has two solos now.

I was thrilled to see Kyoko and John in Boston and seeing how perfectly they filled in all the spots that were Jamie and David's in Lake Placid! Also I noticed that Jamie and David skated to "Try" In Lake Placid, but are now skating to Wild Horses by the Rolling stones according to reviews I've read.

Jamie was the one who intro'd Mike's Beatbox Harmonica number in Lake Placid she came out annoyed that someone was playing a harmonica..lol and now they have added the bit where the lighting guy for the tour comes out to pretend to fix a floor light and then starts playing the harmonica!

I was hoping to get to the Bridgeport show as it's the last show this year, but I may have some family things going on that week-end. Looking forward to more reviews as the Florida stops get under way this week-end!!

vCash
    Act 1, warning its LONG!!!

Stars on Ice 2011

Excel Energy Center

St. Paul, MN

March 13th, 2011

We went a little early since I heard about the Hall of Legends set up to check out the 25 years of history (although I missed it!) and Kristi Yamaguchi doing her book signing before and during intermission, so I saw her again! YAH!

After that we went to our seats, 5th row: dead center ice! Before the show they played music from SOI’s past including Old Friends, Little Less Conversation, Superman Theme Song, Pure Imagination and every time they did, it brought me back to that performance!! It was a nice touch. Also had the announcer guy talk about No FLASH, as I’ve been telling you for the past 25 years! Ha-ha!

The arena was pretty empty, I was kind of disappointed, I wanted it to be SUPER full. Oh well, I cheered as loud as I could!

Finally, show time! And the people next to us came in as soon as it started, talk about annoying!

Opener: “I Like It” and I did like it! I’m sure most of you saw it on TV, but I did do a bit of a video clip. I mostly tried to focus on the women, cuz it seemed like the men got featured on the TV broadcast, and Katia is just so cute. Her smile lit up the whole building, and she had some cute facial expressions! The feature move that Tanith and Ben did was so cool! I know there’s a big debate going on about Sasha’s hair, and I’m part of the not liking it group! Sorry Sasha!  Loved having Jamie and David back! Love all there lifts and tricks!

Opener: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmz66duVk60

So great to see Scottie Hamilton! Talking with Kurt about memories of the show, like his Golf number, and when he swung on the rope during his ballet number! Also talked about how they look alike, when my dad chimed in “Yeah!” he always gets them mixed up! They also did a few steps from Scott’s Aerosmith program, which was before me, but fun to see!

Michael Weiss: Love him! Somebody to Love, great song always helps! His jumps are still amazing. Slight stumble on a triple flip jump, I think; but the others solid! And of course the crowd pleasing back flip!

Joannie: She is so solid on the jumps!! Loved the dress and the song too!

Todd: Loved the song to Frank Sinatra, I think he doubled a jump or two. It was fun to see him do another comedy type number!

Katia: SOLID jumps! Loved the program and costume! She nailed her double axel!! Nice double toe and double lutz too! It’s just a fun program, lots of dancing and footwork! I always forget how fast she is on the ice when I see her live! Love her!

Tanith and Ben: “Use Somebody” I LOVE this number! I really loved her white dress that she wore at shall We Dance, and thought the white scarf matched better, than the purple scarf they used in the show. I didn’t do any video because I just wanted to watch the program, but now I wish I did! Bambi was good too, and didn’t get dropped! (Tanith calls the scarf that cuz she says Bambi has fallen down at a lot of other shows!) I loved all there lifts, and there footwork sequence where they pass the scarf off to each other! BEAUTIFUL!

Katia, Jamie, David, Michael, and Evan group number! LOVED the costumes, nice to see Evan in something besides black. Loved the gray on the guys and the sparkly silver on the girls! It was so great to see Katia do a pairs lift with David! I also loved when David and Jamie did a lift, and Evan did a spread eagle and Katia and Michael were in the back doing spirals, so pretty!

Kurt’s Steppin Out number, was so excited to see this live!! Such a fun program! Loved the song too! Love the part where he’s about to go into the salchow and he keeps thinking about it!! Haha, but he did land it! “If I ever get my hands on that Ulrich Salchow guy!” and then he lands it! Awesome! And the imaginary hat part, “Surprise; it was never really there!” I love when he says to himself that he’s so funny, that sounds like me!  His footwork is SOOOO fast, kinda funny that all the old guys (Katia and Kurt) have the fastest skates! Loved the cartwheel too!

Sasha: Didn’t care for her yellow dress to Pink’s Nobody Knows it, I would’ve thought she would wear pink, but whatever! She did a double toe, instead of a triple; and I really like her new entrance into the jump, her split jump right on the beat of the music was AWESOME! And I love her spirals and spins! I really liked the red dress she wore on the broadcast.

Next were Jamie and David which I was super excited about! Love these two; even though they are split up, they are such a great team! Watching David in all the group numbers is so funny, he looks like he is just having so much fun, Jamie too! There number was a country number to Wild Horses! I really liked one of their ice dancing rotational lifts, nice to see them still try different moves. They had a fall on the throw triple salchow, which I think was the only fall in the show, and very unusual to see her fall. I also love the spin they do where he has his leg out, and she’s wrapped around it; very cool! Someone yelled out to Jamie that they still love her at the end, which was funny!

Evan, what can I say; solid jumps, typical black, loved the song, and very glad his hair wasn’t slicked back! He’s not my favorite, but everyone was right when they say all the screams are for him! Ha-ha!

Now I was so excited for the group numbers, I love SOI group numbers, and this one didn’t disappoint!

It all starts with Kurt “playing” the piano, and then there’s a knock and its Todd, and Kurt is like “Did you get lost in the backstage traffic?” ha-ha! Then Todd proceeds to hear what Kurt has been working on, and his timing was a bit off, which made it funnier! And then there’s another knock to which Kurt tells Todd “Your young, you go get it!” So he does and it’s the rest of the boys including Ben with his awesome hair, who says “housekeeping” in a funny voice!!  And then Kurt plays into this song that I couldn’t for the life of me remember where I knew it from, until I just now figured it out, it was a dance that Kristi and her DWTS partner performed to, it was the Jive number! 

The SOI guys have always been so full of personality, I love watching David Pelletier he just looks like he’s going to just die of laughter, and Ben and Kurt of course! I loved the color schemes too with the blue, pink, white and black!

And then it’s time for the ladies! I love the big lift that they all do together, but it looks like in the video Katia and David had a bit of a tough time! Whoops! And Kurt continues to flirt with the audience; he was over in our section, so fun! And Katia and David did a cute little lift in this number too. I love seeing Katia doing lifts.

Now time for Tanith to wow all the guys, to which they trip over themselves! Haha! Hey finally get a grip on themselves, when the ladies drag them off, and Tanith has her little solo and then a big lift with Michael and Ben over the piano, that Kurt has created a spot for!

Then the ladies have a little number, and then some of them are paired up, like Ben and Tanith, Jamie and David, and Joannie and Michael. Tanith and Ben are first and do another really cool lift! Then Jamie and David do a lift, and I was kind of worried because it’s a romance song, but they still pulled it off, and then Joannie and Michael do a lift too, which is nice to see the single skaters getting into the pairs action! Then the song finishes out with all the pairs doing a lift and then it’s time to rock out to the Act 1 Finale, which is fun! And then at the end there’s a knock and they all look at each other like “Who else is there?”

vCash
    Act 2, minus Finale.

Opened with everyone wearing the same costumes, and this time Evan is included, since his was the number that was before the Act 1 Finale.

Another fun party number! In my video you can see Katia drop something, maybe an earring or a hair clip, she points it out to Jamie, who picks it up and off they go! Kind of reminded me of Battle of the Blades when Katia dropped the trophy and Jamie helped pick it up, such team work! 

Joannie: Burlesque number, loved it! Her jumping is awesome; she did a triple toe into a triple salchow, no problem!

Loved the clown number with Kurt, Sasha, and Todd. Todd brings out the box that Sasha’s in, man she is so tiny to be able to stay in it for that long! I love Todd mimicking Kurt and Kurt getting mad, and fake shooting him!  And then the two guys sit on Sasha!! Whoops! Sasha is so cute in this number, and I love how happy she is with the balloon and then Kurt pops it, and she is so sad! And then Todd is like “I’ll be back!” and he comes out with that kite, so cool! And Sasha just lights up! And Kurt tries to distract her while Todd is getting it. And then Kurt almost gets hit by it, so funny. And Sasha is just so entranced by the kite, and then Kurt comes out with all the balloons trying to win her back! Great number.

Katia with her second number! Beautiful sparkly white dress! Whitney Houston song. And another clean double axel, her jumps are so awesome. She did a really cool move in front of us, that I haven’t seen her do before; it was like a jump into a glide on the ice. Kind of hard to explain, will post video when I get to it! She also does a leg lift extension move that I see Sasha do a lot, but not Katia. No one has near the flexibility of Sasha, but a very pretty move! And the knee slide, her poor knees must get so cold!  And her slide spiral, love it! And her layback, love her so much, can you tell? 

Michael was next with his Harmonica number, which I really liked. It started with the lighting guy playing the harmonica! It’s nice to see Michael try something different! He does a fake out of his back flip which was funny! Awesome jumps! Love the end move where he’s on the ice and flips into his ending pose!

Tanith and Ben:

I preferred her red dress in the telecast to the new white dress! It’s just Tanith in the beginning, and then Ben does a spread eagle around her. Ben does this really cool low kind of sit spin position, very cool! I love there lifts, always have! And then in the middle the vampire “Ben” bites Tanith. I love there footwork too, they are so fast and quick! And then at the end Tanith bites him back! And there’s a blood red ribbon that comes out of Ben’s shirt to emphasize that, especially for those idiots (like me) who have a hard time picking up on the story skaters are trying to tell, I’m always so into the skating skills and in awe of what’s happening on the ice! 

Todd then skated to Neil diamond, and I gotta say it was a typical Todd performance, nothing outrageous, but I love his SPINS! I think he landed a couple triples.

Tanith and Ben had a VERY quick change and were back on the ice for a transition piece to introduce Sasha. They wore the costumes from one of Scott’s Disson shows. It was a quick Charleston type piece, and then Ben had a mike and introduced Sasha in a funny voice!

I LOVED Sasha’s number to Mein Herr, it was so cute! Nice to see her try something different, and it looked like she had such a blast doing it, and the stuff she did with that hat was crazy, like doing her super high leg lift with her leg holding the hat! She did a single axel at the beginning of the program, and had a bit of trouble with the landing. And then she does her Y spin, which is so unbelievable! But she did do a clean triple salchow!! She does a cute little move where her smile was so BIG; it was nice to see her having so much fun out there. And I love her blurred scratch spin to end the program! Way to go Sasha!

Kurt: What in the world were you wearing??  Silverish gray pants and a shimmery silver top. I like when skaters do different things, but I love funny Kurt, not serious Kurt! But I still love Kurt, if that makes sense?? And he can still jump too!!! He did do a really cool Ina bauer all the way down the rink, with separate push offs, which was cool. And his footwork is CRAZY good!!  I really liked the ending while he was gliding the music stops and then it continues with some piano music and he did another little bit. Love the skate ending fake out, when the audience claps cuz they think it’s over, when it really isn’t. That was the case in Tanith and Ben’s vampire program too!

Then Scott came back out on the ice to introduce an SOI Alum in the crowd, and I thought it was going to be Kristi Yamaguchi, cuz she was in town for her book tour, and I knew she was going to be at the show, but then his intro included “living in the Twin cities with her three boys!” and I was like no that isn’t Kristi, cuz she has two girls and married someone who lives in the Twin Cities, so I was super confused until he mentioned Kathleen Schmelz, which I thought was cool that someone in SOI history lives in MN permanently. All I remember of her is in the look back clips that SOI does on TV, and then Scott couldn’t find her which was so funny! He’s like “are you up there, are you yelling?” apparently he was told the wrong section, but he did eventually find her and the he introduced Kristi too! And they were sitting next to each other in the section to our right and a couple rows up, would’ve loved to be sitting next to Kristi Yamaguchi. How cool would that be? I wanted to try and find her after the show, but I am sure she got up before the ending, so she wouldn’t get bothered by fans.

Then it was time for Jamie and David’s SCREAM program, which I was so excited about seeing! LOVE IT! I love the opening, and then they go right into a lift and they do a twist out of it! I think one of the coolest lifts they do is when she’s upside down and straight up! And the other lift they do when she’s on his back in a split and then she transitions with her skates around his neck, how scary!! I love all of their lifts, so crazy! And I love there dance moves and steps! And there handstand lift, which always is a crowd pleaser! David is so cute, and I love Jamie always wanting to get the crowd involved. I notice such odd things, but I love how white David’s teeth are, such a cute smile! I was so bummed about their split, but glad they are still together to skate and raise their son. If we debated over whose hair cut was cuter Sasha’s or Jamie’s from a couple years ago, I would definitely say Jamie!!

Evan: Moulin Rouge song, LOVE Moulin Rouge, another great song!! Solid Jumps and Evan of course, all in black! I do love the back spiral he does into the triple flip, solid every time! I do like his footwork, very intricate! During the Lake Placid show others wrote that a female skater was included in this number, and they couldn’t tell who it was; no lady was involved in the number in St. Paul, it was probably a change made from Lake Placid.

vCash
    ^Thanks for your detailed report.

vCash
    Joemauerlover, thanks so much for your lovely report!!!

vCash
    Thanks for your wonderful report. Love all the details!

vCash
    Here's a clip of Kurt and Scott reminisicing on the ice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-CRng_WnSg

vCash
    Thank you for very interesting review, I couldn't go the show this year but it's nice to read about it.

vCash
    Photos from last nights show http://www.justnews.com/slideshow/en...11/detail.html

Also a photo of JZ & Silvia with David backstage http://yfrog.com/hsff4qcj

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Ice skating stars visit Central Florida
    http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...yssey=nav|head

Great interview with Tanith and Ben

vCash
    Finale and Final Thoughts from St. Paul SOI

Finale, someone said it wonderfully ‘A love hate relationship with the finale’ it’s so true! I always love the finales, but hate that the show is almost over, and it’s time to go back to the real world.

“Simply the Best!” by Tina Turner and Jimmy Barnes

Starts out with Katia and then Ben comes out and they do a really cool rotational lift together. They exit, and Joannie and Michael, and Jamie and Kurt enter, and pair off together. Jamie and Joannie do split jumps, and the guys do a double jump. And then David enters with Katia and they all do some skating moves down the ice. And then Jamie and David do a lift and a death spiral. And then Tanith and Ben enter and all four of them do a split lift. And while Tanith and Ben do a dance lift, Jamie and David are doing a pairs spin. And then the team of four, and the singles skaters are on opposite sides of the rink and do the same dance moves, until they meet up in the middle and then Kurt and Todd do double jumps. And then Sasha enters with her beautiful spiral. And then the girls are on one side of the rink, and the boys on the other and then Evan does footwork down the length of the ice.

On the telecast from LP, the skaters started to shake hands but at our show, and probably another change since LP, the skaters all skate together to one side of the rink, and then they are in a line and they all do a like turn line, very cool! And then they all separate and do tricks by themselves or with their respective partners, and it’s so hard to video them when they all go off! Ahhhh! 

From my video and the NBC show, I caught Sasha, Joannie, and Katia doing double toes, Tanith and Ben in a low position, Jamie and David do there spread eagles, and the guys doing jumps! Too much going on at once!  And then, of course, Michael does his backflip!! The end!

And then they do there bows and after that they all point to us as the music picks up and the vocals sing “Simply the Best!” kinda corny, but I loved it!! I LOVED, absolutely loved the show this year!! And then the skaters start shaking people’s hands and Kurt Browning comes over to the ladies that he flirted with during the Act 1 finale, and gave her a big hug! So jealous! Everyone is dancing around, especially Katia and David, looks like they all enjoy the show and then the guys bring the ladies some red flowers to match the red sparkly dresses, and there super cute red earrings!! I think Jamie Sale ran around the rink twice shaking as many hands as she could!!  Also from Jamie’s twitter sounded like a rough night the night before, because they were in Chicago, doing a Saturday night show, and Chicago is about an 8 hour drive to the Twin Cities, and then we lost the hour cuz of daylight Savings time, they got in at like 6:30 in the morning, and our show was a Sunday afternoon matinee. So thank you to the skaters for such great performances!!! Loved the show. I kind of hope the tour is short again next year, and I don’t mean that to be rude to those other cities that they didn’t go to, but because maybe Kurt and Katia and Jamie and David might do the tour again next year if there are less shows, and maybe even Scott and/or Kristi, but that’s probably pushing it since Kristi didn’t skate this last year. The attendance at St. Paul was pretty bad, which I was so disappointed with, so I hope they come back to us next year, but if not I will totally travel to them! Maybe even to somewhere warm! 

Hope you enjoyed the review, videos are still coming, I had no idea it takes so long to upload. I’m working on the Act 1 Finale right now, so keep checking my YouTube account, joemauerlover! 

Enjoy some pics, mostly of Kristi Yamaguchi signing her book!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=17d6f1fb5b

vCash
    So I got all of the Act 1 Finale posted, check out my channel for all the links! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/user/joemauerlover?feature=mhsn

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast