Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTurtles View Post
    I'm excited to see Gordeeva back, my eye is always drawn to her when she is on the ice (same with Tanith, for whatever reason).
    Maybe because Gordeeva is stunningly gorgeous??? I don't know if Tanith will have the same affect when she reaches Gordeeva's age. Tanith is more Barbie doll (fake) pretty, whereas Gordeeva is naturally beautiful.

vCash
    Kurt Browning article and video of the full SOI opening number from Lake Placid:
    http://www.expressnightout.com/conte...zon-center.php

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moebius View Post
    Maybe because Gordeeva is stunningly gorgeous??? I don't know if Tanith will have the same affect when she reaches Gordeeva's age. Tanith is more Barbie doll (fake) pretty, whereas Gordeeva is naturally beautiful.
    I've found out that Gordeeva's technique is so phenomenal that I'd rather look at her stroking around the rink rather than quite a few other skaters doing jumps, lifts and such. It's a thing of beauty, something that has to be seen live to be truly appreciated.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 03-01-2011 at 02:36 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    IceAlisa, great post and that explains why I loved Katia's new number Nine number. With her skating she can make something work that probably wouldn't have with most other skaters. She looks amazing.

I can't change people's minds about Tanith's "fake" beauty but while it's true that she almost is never seen without being fully made up I think she will probably age well. Look at her mom and earlier in her career she was still beautiful and she didn't wear as much makeup.

It's nice to see I&Z back together again.

vCash
    I'm a consistent lurker on FSU and rarely post, BUT perhaps a few skating fans would like a complimentary ticket to see SOI in DC, March 6. I have a friend who arranges complimentary tickets for me each year. I am informed by her that there are 4 tickets available (I thought only 2) and my daughter is unable to go, which leaves 3 unused tickets. I plan to use one of them. If you are interested you can contact me at bkyeates at yahoo.com
    Kathryn
    Kathryn

vCash

vCash
    wrong thread, sorry.

Teenage Mutant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I've found out that Gordeeva's technique is so phenomenal that I'd rather look at her stroking around the rink rather than quite a few other skaters doing jumps, lifts and such. It's a thing of beauty, something that has to be seen live to be truly appreciated.
    I'm not sure it necessarily a matter of physical beauty, which yes of course Gordeeva and Tanith are quite beautiful, but more their presence on the ice. Surely Gordeeva's presence is largely a function of her superior technique, but I would still venture to say she has an "it" quality that additionally draws the eye to her during group numbers.

Similarly, I know Tanith has met her fair share of criticism over the years for her technique and perkistani style; but IMO she is very well suited to show skating and consistently draws my attention in group numbers.

On a whole, I'd say BelGosto are a more creative and interesting team to watch during shows/exhibitions. I think their style and artistic direction is easier for them to translate with the freedom those skating formats offer.
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

vCash
    Similarly, I know Tanith has met her fair share of criticism over the years for her technique and perkistani style; but IMO she is very well suited to show skating and consistently draws my attention in group numbers.
    It was her joy & charisma on the ice that drew my attention to her last year.

Teenage Mutant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    It was her joy & charisma on the ice that drew my attention to her last year.
    Eys!
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

vCash
    This is sort of a super last minute shot in the dark attempt to get rid of an extra ticket, but one of my friends who was supposed to come to the Boston show Friday night had a last minute health issue and can't make it. We're now stuck with an extra on-ice seat. It cost $150 but we'll take best offer... If you're interested in a single on-ice seat to the Boston show, email me at webmaster@kurtfiles.com.

Also, just went to the Providence show tonight. I love Tanith and Ben in the group numbers and their own numbers - they both bring a ton of personality and acting and sheer joy of skating to the ice. I don't watch much eligible skating so I don't know if Tanith was weaker in that department as a competitor, but she's a wonderful show skater. Katia's skating is beautiful, I just don't like her music choices this year. John & Kyoko only skated one number, and it was an old one - they did their Pretty Vegas (by INXS) number, which was a huge hit with the crowd. I think they may actually have gotten one of the only standing ovations of the night. Otherwise, they took S&P's part in all the group numbers, including the "On Golden Pond" one in act I. The crowd was quite decent and really enthusiastic, which was fun.

I'm really looking forward to the Boston show tomorrow night. Scott Hamilton is supposed to be there to host the show live, and Kurt's friend Geoffrey Tyler will be there to sing the "Steppin' Out" song live while Kurt skates (he's the one who rewrote the lyrics, helped Kurt with the choreography, and sang it for him in the recording). Sounds like a special show!

vCash
    Kurt's friend Geoffrey Tyler will be [in Boston] to sing the "Steppin' Out" song live while Kurt skates (he's the one who rewrote the lyrics, helped Kurt with the choreography, and sang it for him in the recording).
    he supposedly will be in DC too. Awesome!

vCash
    I'll be heading out later today to the Boston show. Teenes thanks for the info on Kyoko and John...I was dying to know what they would be skating to! Should be a great show tonight with Scott hosting and Geoffrey Tyler singing while Kurt skates!!!

vCash
    Just came back from the Boston show... It was great! Really enjoyed it. Some random impressions:

-As others have said Katia's basic skating is just incredible. Soooo smooth, words don't do it justice. Really has to be seen live. That said I thought her programs didn't really have anything interesting choreographically and I thought her new hair color didn't suit her.

-Surprisingly, Sasha was one of my least favorites. She doesn't really project to the audience and skates very "inwards". She definitely got one of the biggest audience reactions though. She's cut all her hair off! i didn't think the pixie look suited her - she doesn't exactly have a womanly figure anyway and the hair really made her look like a boy in a dress from afar.

-Evan's line, speed and basic skating were nothing special. But he has a lot of command and great fast spins. His loooong limbs create an interesting look on the ice. I found his moves to be very sharp and his programs had good choreography, although the Roxanne number in particular was a bit too fake dramatiks with all the head flinging and chest thumping

-I&Z only had one number. We wuzrobbed of PJZ! During their number, right when he was going into his pivot for the death spiral, he looked up into the audience and gave us the sexiest grin. I think I just about melted. On a less shallow note, my favorite part of watching skating live are the lifts and twists. It's pretty awesome to see a guy speeding down the ice with a woman elegantly balanced on his outstretched arm 8 feet off the ground.

-Joannie's first program to "True Colors" was absolutely lovely, with very intricate choreography. I am so jealous of her body, the girl is totally ripped. I could see her back muscles from fifteen rows up.

-Both of Kurt's numbers were amazing. He looks like nobody else on the ice. Very personal, instantly recognizable style. During his first number his friend sang the song live. He has a pretty great voice!

-There was a small group number with Kurt, Todd and Sasha where they flew a kite around the ice - maybe it was the music but it felt really magical.

vCash
    DH and I went to the meet & greet followed by the show in Boston last night. We were allowed to sit in the top rows to watch practices while waiting until time came to meet the skaters. Sasha (in her new short haircut) and Joannie were out there and were followed by Katia, Tanith & Ben, Kyoko & John, and Kurt. We could also see Scott at rinkside chatting with the skaters and show crew. The rink was boardless, so we were excited at the prospect of wonderful, unobstructed skating views that we’d have from our “on-ice” seats.

Then the SOI woman led the fan club group down to wait to meet Sasha, Joannie, and Todd. To our great delight, Scott Hamilton came over to greet each of us while we were in line! I made sure to tell Scott, “This is my husband, who was born exactly one day before you,” and Scott added, “and Michael Jackson the day after that.” “Right!” we replied. Two great trios, IMHO, Sasha/Joannie/Todd, and DH/Scott/Michael Jackson!

We were all given blue SOI photo frames which Todd, Sasha, and Joannie signed in succession while seated behind a table. Then they posed for photos together and then posed with us. I posted in this thread about Sasha and her remarks on her new hairstyle.

The show did not disappoint, nor did the viewing potential of our seats, but the Agganis security definitely did. During the first several numbers of the show, people were allowed to walk directly in front of us to get to seats while skaters were performing. Worse, several times one of the usherwomen led groups of 5-10 people in a parade right past us to bring them to wherever their seats were. They should have been taken upstairs and back down again to their proper section. The usher also came over several times to check on whether people who came to sit in the first few rows in back of us were sitting in their own seats. Finally I glared at her and said “Would you please stop parading in front of us? It’s driving us crazy!” I spoke to her during the intermission, explaining that it was incredibly rude and unfair to those of us who had paid $blank blank for these premium seats to constantly have people walking in front of us obstructing our view. I said that we were not getting our money’s worth from this show because of that. She agreed but said she was in a bind because she had camera duty (i.e. preventing flash.) Well, I’m glad I spoke to her because the second half of the show was pretty free of those annoyances. A plus of the ice seating was getting to greet the skaters (our section got hellos and handshakes from Todd, and then everyone circled the ice to high-five those next to the ice.) I think I got to touch all of them, with the possible exception of Evan, who really had the screaming girls in fine form last night, perhaps to compensate for him missing Boston last year due to DWTS. I know that the last skater I touched was PJZ! I assured my husband that PDH is even sexier to me!

So despite the Agganis security problems, it was a great evening. I wish it didn’t have vocals, but I’m still hearing “Tango de Roxanne” in my head as I type this. Thank you, everyone who skated in Stars on Ice!
    Last edited by snoopysnake; 03-05-2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: added line

vCash
    Thanks for the reviews everyone! Can't wait until tomorrow. Will be giving live impressions, pics, etc. via twitter, and of course will post my own thoughts on the show here later.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Many thanks to all the reviewers so far!

Is anyone planning to attend the fundraiser before the DC show tomorrow?
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77583
    Would be interested in hearing a report.

vCash
    I think Katia's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in real life (as opposed to someone like Audrey Hepburn that I've only seen on a screen). But Tanith is beautiful too, just in a different way. Having a different style of beauty doesn't make one "fake" pretty.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Having been face to face with both Tanith and Katia, they're both gorgeous women. Tanith is taller than I expected, too! And so sweet.

Loved the show in Boston last night. I haven't shelled out the dough for on-ice seats in ages, but I'm so glad I did in Boston, given the nice closeup view I got of Scott and Geoffrey Tyler. And...not to give away my secret identity, but if anyone got pictures of the ball of hair sitting on-ice that Kurt pulled up and mauled right before Tanith came out in "Knock, Knock!" please let me know? To my embarrassment, that was me whose hair he totally messed up .

Scott looked so happy to be out there on the ice talking to the crowd. Geoffrey Tyler sounded FANTASTIC live, IMO. Live performances can sometimes be subpar to a post-processed recording, but he sounded excellent. And his intimate familiarity with the song meant he got the timing perfect with the voiceover, faded out when he needed to, and really let loose and belted at the end. Plus, that Canadian boy was of course on skates (impressed he could belt without knocking himself off his feet ), and could be found at various corners of the arena at different points in the song.

The skater tribute in Boston was to Tuffy, and was given by Scott. She was way across the arena and up in the stands so I couldn't see her that clearly (and neither could the spotlight guy) but she looked really touched by what Scott said about her. So awesome that she was there.

I have to say, not looking through my camera did increase my appreciation of some of the numbers - the subtlety and flow of On Golden Pond, Katia's speed and soundless skating (and I am warming slightly to her programs), Evan's extremely committed drama and passion in "Roxanne"... And I made myself only take a few photos of Downstream and found myself completely captivated by Kurt's skating. And after his jump mishaps in Providence, it was really nice to see him solidly land his triple when he was supposed to in Steppin' Out, and another one very clean and right in front of me in the finale. Sasha's hair threw me off especially since it wasn't short the night before! She looks very '20s. I'm still adjusting to the look.

Overall, it was a great show last night in Boston. The skaters look like they're having so much fun out there.

vCash
    Teenes are you by any chance a blonde? LOL

I was also in Boston....we had major traffic jams getting into and out of Boston on a Friday night I love SOI, but not sure we would do that again...our 3 hour trip one way was an extra hour long...thank god the show started at 7:30 and not 7! Lots of people were late.....some as late as intermission....I feel bad for people who missed half the show, but late comers are annoying while trying to find their seats in the dark arena. It was so distracting!

The show itself was AMAZING! It has changed a bit from Opening night in Lake Placid...all for the better though!!! I noticed a few costume changes since then as well. My guess is this: Sasha and Tanith had red dresses for their numbers, but the finale is all red, so maybe they changed their costumes due to being too much red in one show?? Joannie's also changed her costume for her 2nd program and its beautiful pink with lots of sparkles. Katia now has two numbers, which are fabulous, and there is a new group number in the first half that was just wonderful!! I believe the running order has changed a bit since opening night too.

I just love the opening number this year...I really like they way they intro the skaters in the number....esp. KURT, he's out there doing fancy footwork with all the skaters lined up behind him coming down the ice...it's my favorite part of the opening number! Kudos to whom ever came up with that!! (last night when they did this...at the end, the line of skaters make a turn and John Zimmerman almost wiped out, but caught himself)

Speaking of John thank goodness he and Kyoko are back...they fill in perfectly for S/P in all group number and Kyoko looked really happy to be out there...smiling from ear to ear!!! They re-vamped their Pretty Vegas number..new costumes too..they are so high energy and exciting to watch. I still love their candle lift!! No fly high say bye, but still lots of other things going on, and that head banger WOW.

Todd had a very unusual fall while jumping...his whole body was down on the ice and he slide near the edge, but popped right up and carried on...it was in his That's Life program...his scratch spins are still fantastic and barrel rolls and split jumps...he's still skating strong!!

I really like Mike's Beatbox Harmonica. It's really unique and he owns it!

I really enjoyed seeing Kurt's Stepping out...sung live by Geoffrey Tyler...Geoffrey stayed by the tunnel to sing at first, but then skated down the ice so he could throw Kurt the top hat and cane when it came time!

It was awesome to have Scott hosting, just like Lake Placid, he and Kurt had some cute banter on ice and Scott came out to Intro Kurt"s last number of the night. He also came out to say that Tuffy was in the house tonight and spoke about her in SOI. I expected him to come back out at the finale, but he didn't.

During the finale Joannie went to greet on ice people, before it was time and all the other skaters started pointing at her and giggling and when she realized it she came back to the other skaters and John gave her a big hug and laughed. It was cute! The whole show was over way to quickly for me!! I know it was over 2 hours long, but it just flew by!!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast