Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

vCash
    Really nice to see Bobek looking happy and strong and skating again.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    to JoJo, Todd and Richard for reaching out and helping her during the process.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I'll second that! And good for Nicole to be working at keeping her life back "on track" both on and off the ice.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    I'm thrilled to read Nicole took her GED. Various sources have documented that Nicole was never taught the importance of education. More than one have also stated that she was deliberately led to believe she was retarded and incapable of learning. Maybe getting a GED will help her silence those voices and give her confidence in other areas of her life.

As a show skater, she's always had it and still does. I think the double axel will come back if she keeps working at the pace she's going.

vCash
    She still has it!

Will she be able to make a living out of show skating?

vCash
    Thanks for posting that. As great as it is to see her skate, I think it's really important that she develop other facets of her personality. It's a HUGE accomplishment, and she should be very proud.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    She said that the Adele program she did was an Improv. That is really impressive. I think she would make a fantastic choreographer.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Banned Member
    vCash
    This is just wonderful to see. I can snark with the best, but meth is a killer. It's not funny. And that she is turning her life around is the best news I've seen all week. She has one tough road to hoe (?), and I give her props for her honesty and commitment to making something of her life. This isn't a time to kick her, okay. Nicole, best of luck. And who cares about a double axel or triple toe. You are alive, and functioning. You are already a winner.

vCash
    ITA! Kudos to them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I'll second that! And good for Nicole to be working at keeping her life back "on track" both on and off the ice.
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    ITA! Kudos to them.
    I'll fourth that!

vCash
    Add me to those thanking JoJo, Richard, and Todd for helping her.

vCash
    JoJo seems like a really great mentor/role model to young skaters. When Elaine Zayak struggled the first few years after turning pro (weight gain, lack of motivations to train, really crappy pro programs at World Pro), JoJo also came to Elaine's aid and got her skating back on track.

vCash
    She looks much better as the blonde, so I'm glad she changed back. She seems healthy, which is great.

But Nicole having been one of my favorite skaters, I can't say she's "back to her old self". She's rather overweight and heavy on the ice, and her doubles are a bit shaky- definitely no room for triples anymore.

It's great to see her back, and in shape, and seemingly happy, but let's not stretch and say she's back to the greatness she when she performed her Giselle LP.

vCash
    Just noticed that a video link to Bobek's first public performance (at "Skate for Love" in Morristown, NJ on April 16, 2011) hasn't been posted in this thread (it was posted earlier in the "Skate for Love" thread in GSD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBMzTt5szQ8

vCash
    ^ Thanks so much for posting.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Thanks for posting! She is so lovely on the ice, particularly her use of her arms.

Since her mother was from Czech Republic, is there any possibility that if Nicole got a couple triples back, she could skate for the Czechs? They have such great men, an OK (sometimes) dance team or two, and some pairs trying hard, but they didn't even have a lady at Worlds this year, even in the QR. What with there being a team event at the next Olympics, it might be a (silly) idea.... :

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Just noticed that a video link to Bobek's first public performance (at "Skate for Love" in Morristown, NJ on April 16, 2011) hasn't been posted in this thread (it was posted earlier in the "Skate for Love" thread in GSD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBMzTt5szQ8
    That was lovely.

vCash
    Good to see her back on the ice!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    But Nicole having been one of my favorite skaters, I can't say she's "back to her old self". She's rather overweight and heavy on the ice, and her doubles are a bit shaky- definitely no room for triples anymore.

It's great to see her back, and in shape, and seemingly happy, but let's not stretch and say she's back to the greatness she when she performed her Giselle LP.
    You're absolutely right on all of the above. But Nicole still has the same kind of intangible star power that she's always had. E.g., my significant other, who NEVER watches skating and will leave the house when it's on, came home and told me about seeing "a skater who skated to Adele who was really good" from a link on Facebook. I just about fell over.

And, frankly, I'd rather watch Nicole than Sasha Cohen these days. (And I lurve Sasha, but as a pro, she's been a bit disappointing.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    She looks much better as the blonde, so I'm glad she changed back. She seems healthy, which is great.

I don't think anyone's that delusional, but after seeing a bunch of crap CoP choreography the last 7 years, it's so wonderful (IMO) to see a program where the spiral lasts as long as the musical phrase requires it to, where the spins change with the chord progression, and the footwork and MITF flow and move across the ice instead of ticking across as though they were done on a gymnastic mat. That kind of artistry just can't shine through when you're counting every position for a set level of seconds and making sure every change of edge has a certain number of revolutions. True artistry happens when you turn your brain off and let everything go. Nicole has always done this as well as any of the 'greats' and even if her physical condition isn't at its peak, it's still glorious and rare to see this type of performance.
    Last edited by Triple Butz; 05-07-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast