Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash

Questions fro Phil Hersh?

Hi all. I'm working on arranging an interview with Phil Hersh, journalist who covers skating. Even though sometimes folks here have reacted negatively at times to his columns and coverage, I think he deserves major props for covering our sport and taking our athletes seriously enough to give us the mainstream media coverage that skating sorely lacks at the moment. So please let me know if you have any questions for him (in addition to the ones I'll be researching/crafting myself of course).

Thanks.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    I'd love to know his take on the current state of US skaters...

vCash
    I'd love to know his user name on www.fsuniverse.net.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    What if, in some kind of fantasy world, he were allowed to have input in a future skating scoring system (to replace the current system - it IS a fantasy world, after all), what elements should be given the highest weight, and how would the scoring of the presentation aspect be done?

vCash
    I'd be interested in if he takes such a negative slant about US skating because that is what 'sells' and gets column space, or because he really believes that is the best way to represent what is happening out on the ice.

vCash
    When is he retiring?

vCash
    What can be done to increase interest in skating; with both the public, and the media?

I'm grateful that Phil covers the sport, when so many entities/reporters no longer do so.
    Please, tell him that,

vCash
    I'd like to know his thought on the role he's been playing during this declining of the interests in figure skating in North America.

vCash
    Who are your five favorite non-USA skaters and/or pairs/dance teams, and why? (I'm looking for specifics, not superficial answers like "because they won Olympic gold.")

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    When is he retiring?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    When is he retiring?

With how disrespectful he is to athletes (and sports in general) I don't see him doing any favors to the sport of skating or making it more popular.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I wonder if he feels that the relentless negativity about IJS he and other US columnists base their articles around has contributed to the decline in popularity of figure skating in the US?

But I'm guessing the answer to that would be "No".

Hersh's articles about figure skating lately seem to be either about how awful IJS is, how bad the current crop of US skaters are or how unpopular figure skating has become. Sometimes a combination of all three. I wonder if he is just bored with the sport?

He has been quite dismissive of ice dance in the past. Why does he not cover it more now it's the US's strongest discipline?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    He has been quite dismissive of ice dance in the past. Why does he not cover it more now it's the US's strongest discipline?
    Because he thinks it's like comparing apples and oranges. He thinks it's dance, not sport.

Basically he hates everything though (and seems to hardly watch much skating), so I don't think the ice dance world should feel too insulted.

vCash
    I wonder if he reads all negative reactions toward him on FSU, and if so how he thinks about them.

vCash
    Do you think anonymous judging hurt the popularity of figure skating?

vCash
    Let's wait and hear what Mr. Hersh has to say before assuming his answers/thoughts, or condemning them,

Vacant
    vCash
    Manleywoman I hope you give him a tough time. I'd like some justification for the relentlessly negative tripe he spouts that no doubt has a detrimental affect on how skating is currently perceived in the US.

vCash
    I would really like you to delve into his dismissive attitude toward ice dance and why he doesn't seem to consider it a sport. You could tell him that Scott Hamilton once commented that ice dancers are the most-well-trained athletes in the sport of figure skating because of the strength and athleticism required to do those edges and moves. Thanks!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Manleywoman I hope you give him a tough time. I'd like some justification for the relentlessly negative tripe he spouts that no doubt has a detrimental affect on how skating is currently perceived in the US.
    What needs to happen in the sport to change his negative attitude toward it?

vCash
    It was so hilarious how he went dance is fair dance Is legitmate when DW won in 2011 then was all dance is unfair dance is illegitimate in 2012 and back again! Just because United states isn't winning in dance doesn't mean its illegitimate. He says dance was illegitimate as an event for so long but seemed to be changing then in 2012 was all dance is all rigged so americans can't win and said IJS is good but went back so fast! And a Canadian team won in 2012! That was supposed to be impossible too back when he was saying it was illegitimate because Russians were winning blocking deserving americans and Canadians from their rightful place as always winning. LOL.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast