Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Saint John would be a good choice for Canadians (hint, hint). Arena seats about 5000 or 6000, there are two hotels (Delta and Hilton) and a shopping centre that are a short walk away through pedways. Lots of restaurants in the downtown area. OTOH the food in the arena isn't great, but that's not surprising.

vCash
    I am still hoping that Skate Canada will be eventually be awarded to Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg, Charlottetown and Fredericton in the near future. My goal is to visit all the provincial capitals via Skate Canada competitions. Not sure what the chances are for the three territorial capitals to host a Skate Canada competition.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I've been hoping Sault Ste Marie would be in the running one of these days thanks to them having the newest arena in Northeastern Ontario. Sadly, I think the low turnout at last year's Scotties Tournament of Hearts (Cdn National Ladies Curling Championships) might be changing the minds of certain Sporting Organizations.

Talk about a Perfect Storm of Horrid Timing. They finally get one of the Major Non Hockey Winter Sports Championships and what happens? There were long term and nasty Strikes/Labour Issues going on in both Sudbury and the Soo, which are the two biggest cities and where the majority of the local fans would have come from.

Sadly, the reasons why the attendance was so low more than likely wouldn't be taken into consideration for anything the Soo bids on for the near future. Just that it was so low. A shame too.

vCash
    Charlottetown's facility holds about 3200. I'm watching the Scott's, and PEI is thinking of building a new facility. So Charlottetown probably is possible within a couple of years I hope. I don't know if Fredricton has a facility that big, but Saint John could. I'd think Edmonton or Calgary is due, even Red Deer.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    But do you know what other locations bid for this event? Perhaps the others were even worse choices?!?
    Hard to find a worse choice than this one LOL - but I suppose it's possible.

vCash
    IF I go (and hubby and I are attempting to figure out a way), I will be bringing wheels and would love to help provide transportation to my fellow FSUers.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Traders Blvd.
    Thank you for the correction.

I knew there were multiple Hilton Garden Inns in Mississauga; the one closest to the Hershey Centre is on Traders Blvd. Walking is certainly a possibility.

vCash
    I understand that location of Skate Canada may be an unfortunate choice for those outside Toronto, but i think skate canada was banking on the greater toronto area skating fans to attend this event, as the Hershey Centre is between that of Hamilton and Toronto, and accessible access from the highway. I think Skate Canada prefer devoted fans those who are interested in lets say flying to an event go to the GPF which is also in Canada and being held in Quebec City at the Pavillon de la Jeunesse(youth) at ExpoCité instead. It's the the smaller area (5000) not the Pepsi Colosium.

vCash
    Too bad they can't host anything at the Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto. It appears to be the perfect size arena with a convenient location near downtown Toronto on one of the streetcar lines. I seem to recall others noting before that the facility is booked every year for some rather big events that generally conflict with the timing for Skate Canada or Canadians. I wonder whether it would have been possible to schedule the Grand Prix Final there if there was local interest in biding for the event?

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    An advantage to the Hershey Centre though is it's proximity to the airport. It's really easy to get to if you are flying in from somewhere else- it's 15 minutes from the largest and most central airport in Canada, which makes it easy for those flying in from just about anywhere- national or international.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    Too bad they can't host anything at the Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto. It appears to be the perfect size arena with a convenient location near downtown Toronto on one of the streetcar lines. I seem to recall others noting before that the facility is booked every year for some rather big events that generally conflict with the timing for Skate Canada or Canadians. I wonder whether it would have been possible to schedule the Grand Prix Final there if there was local interest in biding for the event?
    I think the problem with the Ricoh is that it's the home of the Toronto Maple Leafs farm team as well as being attached to a large trade centre that is used for shows and other events. It's a busy place. And probably expensive.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Not only that, but Skate Canada would be the time when they'd be starting to prep it for the Royal Winter Fair as well. As great a place as it is, it's just not workable.

vCash
    An exciting event to be sure, regardless of the placement.

vCash
    Since Hershey Center was location of last 5 Challenges, anyone know which cities are bidding on Challenge??

vCash
    So curious to know what has prevented Winnipeg from hosting a major event in the past 10 years. I can only imagine that it is a lack of practice ice and willingness of local hockey teams to give up their ice for the events. There certainly are a lot of reasons why the events should be coming to Winnipeg - new arena downtown (restaurants, hotels), new airport, new Human Rights Museum and other tourist attractions, strong volunteer base and supportive community (MTS centre is one of the more popular buildings to draw entertainment). I know not everyone will agree, but there are lots of positives to an event coming to Winnipeg (just as there are other cities in the country). Yet, every time there is an announcement, I wait with my fingers crossed, hoping that it will be Winnipeg. It's so frustrating to watch the same locations be chosen time and time again while others are passed by...

vCash
    Its all about the bid process and if no one puts in a bid or its a weak bit then its never going to happen. Since the bidding process has changed and basically made the LOC organize everything and have all the ducks in a row before they even know who it is awarded to, it has scared off a lot of possible bid locations. Its not only getting the ice booked, its about securing possible sponsorship, securing enough volunteers, hotels etc. All of this take a strong team who can devote a lot of their own personal time. In this day and age, time is often a factor

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
    So curious to know what has prevented Winnipeg from hosting a major event in the past 10 years. I can only imagine that it is a lack of practice ice and willingness of local hockey teams to give up their ice for the events. There certainly are a lot of reasons why the events should be coming to Winnipeg - new arena downtown (restaurants, hotels), new airport, new Human Rights Museum and other tourist attractions, strong volunteer base and supportive community (MTS centre is one of the more popular buildings to draw entertainment). I know not everyone will agree, but there are lots of positives to an event coming to Winnipeg (just as there are other cities in the country). Yet, every time there is an announcement, I wait with my fingers crossed, hoping that it will be Winnipeg. It's so frustrating to watch the same locations be chosen time and time again while others are passed by...

vCash
    The Ricoh centre in TO like others have said is a great location however it is difficult to book and very EXPENSIVE! This is probably one of the reasons why SC hasnt considered it

vCash
    As much as I'd like to see something in Red Deer, Pat, most people would find it impractical. There's not a lot within walking distance of the Centrium, unless you want to look at cars and RV's. No decent hotels within convenient walking distance either -- Hwy 2 kinda cuts between Westerner Park and a new hotel.

Edmonton or Calgary would be the more likely choices for Alberta host cities.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I know, but if London or Kitchener etc can hold it, Red Deer isn't that impractical, and a lot of those hotels probably have a shuttle or would line one up. Just sticking my western oar in.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1andonly View Post
    The Ricoh centre in TO like others have said is a great location however it is difficult to book and very EXPENSIVE! This is probably one of the reasons why SC hasnt considered it
    Funny thing is that Ricoh is a Skate Canada Sponsor. Not that they would have any say in events that happen at the Ricoh Centre though.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast