Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    I'm kind of at the descriptions of Mississauga as being in the middle of nowhere. I'm reminded of the famous New Yorker cover.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    I wasn't talking about Mississauga being in the middle of nowhere, I've been there many, many times. I was talking about the arena not having much of anything in walking distance (hotels, restaurants, TIMMIES!!). I know many arenas are the same, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    Of all the events I've been to in Canada over the last 15 years, the Hersey Centre is by far my least favorite. Nothing within walking distance and a rental car is a must. The arena in Quebec City might be in an industrial area but at least you can walk to the mall to grab something to eat during the breaks and the bus system wasn't that hard to figure out.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    No car for me either, and I'm not too thrilled about cabbing it from hotel to arena and back every day. IF the GPF is in Quebec City, I'm in the same boat. I hate that so many arenas are in the middle of nowhere.
    Come to TEB!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Come to TEB!
    Actually, I was checking that out last night. Flights are expensive, but doable, but the Novotel isn't cheap, is it? And really, what's the point of staying anywhere else?

Haven't ruled it out, though.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    No car for me either, and I'm not too thrilled about cabbing it from hotel to arena and back every day. IF the GPF is in Quebec City, I'm in the same boat. I hate that so many arenas are in the middle of nowhere.
    I don't have a car with me, and I managed at the last 3 Challenge events at the same arena. I stayed at the Hilton Garden which is a 20 minute walk away on Traders Blvd(really!). There are also a Holiday Inn and a Quality Inn on the next street over- maybe another 5-10 minutes farther walk. There are now a couple of restaurants in the area, a big grocery store right behind the hotel and a Timmy's the next street up (NOT in the arena direction, unfortunately, but it's there)

The Hershey Centre is not my favourite arena, and the location is neither scenic nor interesting, but it is quite doable without a car if you can walk 20-25 minutes. And October should be okay for weather- it will be better than December, when Challenges take place.

By the way when I was walking to the Challenges event last December I came eye to eye with the most beautiful eagle sitting on a fencepost about 4 feet away from me in a construction site right by the arena parking lot. She looked straight at me then flew off. Gorgeous! So even in a Mississauga industrial park you can find things of beauty.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    I can also recommend the Hilton Garden. That's where we stayed for Challenge this year and were quite pleased - and the grocery store is huge!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Just a heads up...

The Hershey Centre is smack dab in the middle of nowhere and unless you've got a for sure ride, you might reconsider.

I learned that lesson the hard way the one time they hosted the Canadian Open way back when. About 50 of us got stranded by Miss Transit inbetween the Tech and Artitistic Programs and the only place we were allowed in, was the foyer. That was close to two to two and a half hours BTW.

Never doing that again, so unless you've got a friend you can get a ride w/, it's something to keep in mind.
    Wasn't that in 1999? Mississauga has changed a bit since then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine M View Post
    Of all the events I've been to in Canada over the last 15 years, the Hersey Centre is by far my least favorite. Nothing within walking distance and a rental car is a must.
    Rotate events between cities with downtown arenas with seating capacities over 5000: Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, Kamloops, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, London, Kingston, Montreal, Saint John, Halifax, and St. John's.

Non-downtown arenas might be okay if they have good rail transit between the downtown and/or hotel cluster and the arena.

vCash
    Or...just find a fellow FSUer who has wheels and get 'em in a headlock to give you a lift someplace...
    (although we often offer, right Cygnus??)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    Mississauga does have a transit system too. I haven't lived there in many, many years so I can't comment on the efficiency of it but it's there.
    Don't bother trying public transit to the rink in Mississauga. Your life may never be the same again!

Stay at a nearby hotel and cab it (or walk if the weather's not bad and you don't mind a long walk through a suburban industrial park ). I agree that the Hilton Garden is a good choice. Alternatively, use a rental car. The Hershey Centre has excellent access to major highways, trouble is that traffic can be very nasty near rush hours.

Mississauga would be my last choice as an SC site, but it is what it is.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    I wouldn't mind walking from nearby hotels, but my mom is probably coming with me, and it may be difficult for her to walk that far.

vCash
    The one and only time I went to the Hershey arena, I was staying in downtown Toronto and it was a nightmare to get there without a car. It took me 2 hours by transit. Then there was a long break between events and they kicked everyone out of the arena, so we had to cab it to a restaurant as there was nowhere within walking distance where we could wait until they let us back in again. I wouldn't go to anything there unless I had a car.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    Mississauga would be my last choice as an SC site, but it is what it is.
    I agree - dreadful choice.

vCash
    I wouldn't mind walking from nearby hotels, but my mom is probably coming with me, and it may be difficult for her to walk that far.
    If a lot of people are staying at the Hilton Garden, you can share cabs and the cost would be reasonable. Probably the best approach. Plus you can get together for drinks, etc. after the skating. Be careful, there is more than one Hilton Garden in Mississauga - the one nearest the Hershey Centre is on Matheson, I believe.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    I agree - dreadful choice.
    But do you know what other locations bid for this event? Perhaps the others were even worse choices?!?

Skate Canada asks for bids and needs to have evidence of a number of things including a pool of volunteers, a clear schedule for the ice surface(s), and local government/tourism/corporate support.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    I wish Kamloops, BC would bid again. 98 skate canada remains my all time favorite event I've ever attended, just cause of how everything was walkable--hotel, food, arena, shopping, etc. Plus I had a great time with friends and witnessed some great off ice incidents. If I had to choose a second "favorite" it would be a tie between Calgary and Halifax.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Now for Nats. No BC, Ontario or Quebec I'm assuming. I would say Winterpeg and Halifax are front runners, although I wouldn't rule out Edmonton, St. John, Saskatoon or Calgary.

Unfortunately, I am almost certain that it will NOT be Halifax....unless Mr. Skate's are wrong.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Or...just find a fellow FSUer who has wheels and get 'em in a headlock to give you a lift someplace...
    (although we often offer, right Cygnus??)
    Absolutely, and thanks very much.

Just pointing out though, that it's possible to walk from a few of the hotels. After all, you slackers don't come out earlier in the week and I'm on my own!
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    If a lot of people are staying at the Hilton Garden, you can share cabs and the cost would be reasonable. Probably the best approach. Plus you can get together for drinks, etc. after the skating. Be careful, there is more than one Hilton Garden in Mississauga - the one nearest the Hershey Centre is on Matheson, I believe.
    Traders Blvd.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast