Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kindle or Nook?

Just me
    vCash

Kindle or Nook?

Do you have one or the other? What made you choose the one you have? What do you like/dislike about it?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Not summer :(
    vCash
    I got the Sony e-reader because I didn't want to be limited to Amazon's proprietary format. A techy friend of mine advised *against* the touchscreen version, so I have the "pocket" edition. Since I want it just for reading (I have a Blackberry, iPod Touch, and mini-laptop for connectivity), I didn't need all the bells and whistles in my e-reader. I like it.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    Check out this thread for some info on E-readers

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ghlight=Kindle

Just me
    vCash
    Thank you. That thread helps with information on the Kindle. Has anyone had any experience with the Nook?

vCash
    I chose the Nook for the following reasons:

Can load PDF and MP3/4 files directly through USB connection.
    Kindle charges a per-file fee to load PDF files.
    B&N Nook appears as standard USB drive in Windows.
    Special features available to B&N Nook when used inside B&N store.
    Special discounts on digital books and other books.
    Future feature will enable browsing of full version of digital books inside B&N stores.
    B&N Nook has both WiFi and AT&T 3G for shopping/downloads.
    No AT&T fees.
    B&N Nook uses Google Android operating system for flexibility and future interface improvements without upgrading hardware.
    B&N Nook includes microSD expansion slot to increase memory.
    Poor reviews on Kindle keyboard / prefer color touchscreen for Nook navigation.
    Did not want to wait for color e-ink technology or pay premium for larger format devices.
    E-Ink displays in Kindle and Nook are made by same manufacturer and identical specs.

I hope this info helps you reach your decision!

Just me
    vCash
    Great information. Thank you!

vCash
    Bumping this up so I can read it at my leisure -- my sister has asked for an e-reader for her birthday, so now I have to try to figure out which one to get her!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I have the Literati...and I like it very well. Only downside is the battery life(it has a color lcd screen) which isn't extremely long before it needs charged. If you don't mind charging it, then it isn't bad at all and it is much less expensive than the other ereaders.

vCash
    I haven't gotten one yet, but will NOT get a Kindle as my primary use would be downloading books from the library and it is not compatible. Will get a Sony or Nook.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    I want to get an e-reader (not sure if I'll get one or not). I've been reading up on them and the Nook wins for me. I really dislike Amazon's proprietary format. When you "buy" an e-book from Amazon, you're not really buying the book but the right to read the book. Amazon can actually take the book off your Kindle as happened with a certain edition of 1984 and Animal Farm when Amazon realized that the publisher didn't have the rights to the novels. Plus, you're limited to Amazon's store and you can't borrow e-books from the library on a Kindle. All those factors pretty much killed the idea of getting a Kindle.

As far as I know, this is not the case with the Nook (if I'm wrong please correct me). You can borrow e-books from the library and the Nook reads ePub books so you can buy books from a variety of sources.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    double post.
    Last edited by modern_muslimah; 02-01-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I am the e-book consultant for my department, which doesn't mean I know a lot, just more than anyone else I work with .

I won't rehash what has been said before about the differences in in formats except to say that you shouldn't buy an e-reader because you can borrow library books on it. While that is true that you can do it with some devices, libraries have a very limited selection of e-books at this time and there is waiting list for nearly every e-book out there. In practical usability terms, the library feature is, at least for now, something of an also-ran, although it might be a good thing in the future.

For me, the choice would mainly come down to what your sister would use it for.

For people who want to read books and that's it, the Kindle is considered the e-reader of choice. Yes, it's limited to Amazon, but for straight reading, it's the easiest on the eyes and the simplest to use. The disadvantages are, of course, the fact that it limits you to the Amazon bookstore--sort of. There are ways around this, but we can come back to that. Another advantage of the Kindle is battery life; they somehow found a way to make a very light battery that lasts for days, even weeks, without recharging. The Kindle DX has a BIG screen for an e-reader, too, which is nice.

The Nook 2 (updated black and white version) is also easy on the eyes, but has had problems with several features. When it works well, it's a really nice device, for reasons mentioned above.

The Nook Color is a whole 'nother beast; if you are looking for a multi-function device, this is the way to go. It does not have e-ink and, because of the touchscreen, has a reflective-surface screen. This means that you have to deal with backlighting and cannot use the reader in direct bright light. That bothers some people, but doesn't others. It is great for night reading, if your sister reads in bed; there is a special setting for that that makes your text very readable in the dark without using a lot of light while still being easy on your eyes. The Nook Color is the best choice for people for whom color is a factor--people who read magazines, for example, or who like to surf the internet. You can do that on a Kindle, but it's all black and white. The Nook Color is basically an Android tablet; B&N has been promising that they will open a Nook app store early this year that will allow Nook owners to purchase Android apps. As it is, the Nook Color comes with a Pandora app for streaming music and a few games, plus you can store and watch video on it (but only in MP4 format) and load your music on it and and and. More features means shorter battery life; you don't get days out of a single charge with the Nook Color and it is heavier than a Kindle.

The Nook Color is sort of like a cell phone that has had a lot of features locked off; you can use the Nook app and a few other things, but that's about it--unless you root it. There are instructions all over the internet about how to do this. If you root it, you will have a small Android tablet--or you will mess it up, void your warranty and have a useless device. But if you want an e-reader that can do more than just read, the Nook Color is the way to go.

The iPad is an even better, but more expensive choice if you are looking for a multifunction device.

If your sister travels internationally, then it might be important that the Kindle 3G works anywhere, while the Nook 3G does not work outside the US.

You are, of course, not limited to just the Kindle or Nook and some of the other e-readers are good choices, too. The fact that they aren't connected to a particular store is both an advantage and disadvantage; you do have more freedom that way, but you have less choice and you don't get the ruthlessly competitive Amazon pricing.

The Sony e-reader is a good choice, as Sony is (I think) here to stay, which is not the case with a lot of them (IMO, anyway). I don't like it, myself, but there are people who do, and Sony is making major moves toward WORLD DOMINATION. I expect them to expand their store in the future.

The BeBook Neo is a nice little e-reader, but is not readily available.

The Alex e-reader has some really nice features--two screens, lots of apps--but again, it's hard to find.

The brand-new Pandigital Novel has the same big screen as a Kindle DX and the color capablity and touchscreen of the Nook Color; it's a nice reader if you aren't looking for e-ink, but I would hold out for version two, as there are still some kinks in version one. I think Pandigital will be in the e-book business to stay, however, which is not something that can be said for some of the others.

The Kobo has been around the longest and is the most stripped down. It's a very plain, simple reader, period. The main draw there is that it's cheap. The Kobo is loosely tied to Borders in the US, but it's not restricted to any bookstore format. It does not have 3G, so you can't download books directly, but have to download them to your computer and then load them on the device.

The Literati uses Kobo technology in a nicer package that is similar to the look of a Kindle. It comes preloaded with 100 classics (I believe Kobo does, too). Those classics and then some are available from Project Gutenberg, but it does save you the trouble of downloading and loading them.

There are others, but that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head and this post is already long enough .

If you have questions about formats and such, I can probably answer those.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Title-less
    vCash
    Great post, prancer!

Which e-book format is easiest for those who consult a dictionary regularly? (the fewer clicks / buttons to get there, the better)

vCash
    "I won't rehash what has been said before about the differences in in formats except to say that you shouldn't buy an e-reader because you can borrow library books on it. While that is true, libraries have a very limited selection of e-books at this time and there is waiting list for nearly every e-book out there. In practical usability terms, the library feature is, at least for now, something of an also-ran, although it might be a good thing in the future."

This really depends on your library district and what books you want to read.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    Thanks for the points, Prancer. Helped confirm that Kindle is the fit for me when I finally pull the trigger and purchase.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The Nook 2 (updated black and white version) is also easy on the eyes, but has had problems with several features.
    Would you mind saying a little more about these? Because that's the one I was starting to lean toward, till I read your post.

She doesn't travel internationally, and I don't think she cares too much about bells and whistles. She just wants something she can carry around with her and read books on. She does work the night shift at her job, so if she feels like reading on the way to work, backlighting might be a pretty good thing to have, I guess.

Thanks for all the info!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I think I have the nook 2. I have a black and white nook, so I'm assuming, especially since I got it last Christmas.

I have no problems with it, I can read everything fine and buying books is not a problem. Other than reading, buying books, and playing sudoku on it, I don't use anything else. Mine has an internet browser but I do not use that feature.

My only complaint about the Nook 2 is I can't read it in the dark... I understand the reasons, but I like to read before going to bed.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Great post, prancer!

Which e-book format is easiest for those who consult a dictionary regularly? (the fewer clicks / buttons to get there, the better)
    Here's a link with a description of the big three: http://www.suite101.com/content/erea...eature-a329044

With the Nook Color, you press and hold on the word you want defined. A Text Selection toolbar pops up. You tap Look Up on the toolbar, and the definition appears.

I think they mostly work the same general way--touchscreens work essentially like the Nook Color, non-touchscreens work like the Kindle.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    I own neither. If I was to get one today, however, I would get the Kindle. It is so much lighter and more compact than the Nook; You can really feel the difference between the two when you pick them up.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    This really depends on your library district and what books you want to read.
    Well, I suppose that's true. However, the majority of libraries in the US use Overdrive for their DRM software and Overdrive has sent out at least one press release since Christmas essentially apologizing that there are no books available anywhere, as demand now far exceeds supply.

This is also a subject that is being discussed quite a bit among all the digitial librarians whose blogs and tweets I follow; there simply aren't enough e-books to meet demand nationwide. The consensus among them--academic and public librarians alike--is that the e-book shortage is a problem for people who want to read their books from the library.

Your library may be an exception, but I assure you that it's very rare indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Would you mind saying a little more about these? Because that's the one I was starting to lean toward, till I read your post.
    The Nook 2 was rushed into production and came out with a lot of bugs. They've corrected most of them, but there are still some bad devices floating around out there. They have been very good about replacing the bad ones, from what I understand, but it's a still a PITA if you get one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    She does work the night shift at her job, so if she feels like reading on the way to work, backlighting might be a pretty good thing to have, I guess.
    If she has reasonable lighting, she won't need backlighting with a B&W e-ink reader; she can adjust the lighting on the screen. A lot of people also like attachable book lights for night reading, which seems pretty funny to me . If she is reading in the dark, then the Nook Color has this night reading feature that turns the page black and text white--VERY easy to read in poor to no light and easy on the eyes. But it's pretty expensive to get just for that, especially if she doesn't do it a lot.

ETA: If you get her a Nook, tell her:

*To download Adobe Digital Editions--this will allow her to download books from other stores and libraries
    *To download Calibre--this will allow her to, among other things, convert publisher formats into formats she can use on Nook
    *To follow B&N on Facebook for Free e-Book Friday specials and other random specials they run; I got a whole lot of reference books and nonfiction from a recent publisher special that offered 300 free books for one week only

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast