Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Here is a photo of Vera Wang from tonight.

And here is one from Wed.

I saw her in Greensboro and her thighs were as thick as most folks' arms.
    This is truly scary! I think she might have a disorder.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Haven't read all the posts. If this has already been mentioned please forgive me, but...

SI has a nice article about 1961 in the most recent mag...toward the back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    The old clips were priceless - every lady had such a beautiful layback spin. Gary Clark got the most laughs! The pair team advertising cigarettes was just surreal....
    Everyone in the theatre cracked up when the cigarette add popped up!!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    This is truly scary! I think she might have a disorder.
    If that's her real hair, she probably isn't starving herself since anorexia usually leads to hair loss.

She's 61. Some people, when they get around that age, lose weight instead of gain it. I saw that happen with my grandma - I'd always known her as being extremely frail and she was in her 60s when I was born. Thighs as thick as arms, all that. Hopefully Vera's getting advice about osteoporosis though, since it's VERY common among petite Asian women. My mom's only in her 50s and not as frail (still very thin) and she had to undergo treatment for osteoporosis. My grandma died after complications from hip surgery after falling and breaking her hip. Apparently I'm screwed.

Anyways, I might attend the encore since I didn't make it tonight.

vCash
    The movie was amazing. Just amazing.

I saw it tape delayed on the west coast, so even though there was a small hiccup, we didnt actually loose any material that way. I really loved how it all came full circle with Frank and Evan.

People on here had me scared earlier that it might be an infomercial or whatever, but it ended up being a really touching tribute. It was nice to hear some stories that I hadn't before, like Danny Ryan. It was nice to hear their whole story.

I will buy the DVD when it comes out, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    There's skinny. Sasha's skinny. Mary Beth Marley is skinny. And then there is scary skinny. Vera looked skinnier than Pang looked at her thinest. Concentration camp skinny.
    I tried to explain to my husband how skinny Vera is. I dragged up the famous billboard of Isabelle Caro, but nope, still not as scary as Vera tonight.

moving right along
    vCash
    I'm so glad I went out to the film tonight. My fave moments: the recollections of Ron Luddington and Frank Carroll, the still photography montages, the clip of Squaw Valley Oly school figures, the interview with the injured dance partner who had survivor guilt.

I loved the post-film interviews, complete with a nice long closeup of Garden Kitty.

Finally, I was most impressed with the comments from Frank and Evan. Evan was so well-spoken and gave a heartfelt tribute to Frank and to all the skaters who were lost.

vCash
    Watched it in NYC with a friend who competed against Sasha Cohen and others like 10-11 years ago at the sectionals level. I can't believe we almost went to the 11th and Third Ave location, when we changed our minds at the last minute and went to Union Square. And thank goodness we did, apparently!

I too wasn't crazy about Peter. That segment with the little girl and the commemorative pin was beyond painful, and what was with that comment about he "only" managed to get a silver medal? I guess he was joking, but it came across as bittercakes. Way to make it about yourself, silly!

Matt Lauer, on the other hand, is a freakin rock star. Don't tell me he has to get up early tomorrow morning to do the Today show after a long-ish night?

When MK came onstage for the post-documentary part, my friend quipped that she had tried on the same $400 dress at BCBG the other day. Needless to say, I liked it on MK. Hated Peggy's dress, which really did closely resemble '50s era maternity wear.

Like other theaters, our collectively gasped when Vera Wang came on the screen. Aside from being absurdly thin, she seemed lethargic as well. She seriously looks like she is wasting away

But the film was wonderful, though I too wish the documentary had covered more of the skaters. I totally hearted the Doug Ramsay footage - what a wonderful athlete! Loved the Dick Button footage too. Ron Ludington was a hoot, loved his story about how he yelled at Laurance not to talk back to her mom because Maribel in a bad mood meant all the students would suffer, lol. My heart broke for Steffi and Sherri's mom, and hearing how she pretended her girls were on a long vacation in order to cope with the heartbreak. Ugh... just ugh.

Also, great seeing little clips of Mirai, Rachael, Jeremy and Johnny in the film.

Evan looked and sounded great. I liked his comments about the special-ness of the coach-student bond. I also liked hearing Michelle say how happy she was for Frank when he finally had coached an OGM. (I only wish she could have gotten there first for him... oh well.)

Nice seeing the Greensboro performances again, but it was better when I saw them live. The editing was awkward in some spots, like when the camera was on Evan standing at the boards while the the young lady was doing a layback spin. Also, they did two takes of the National champs performance, but they chose the one where Nathan Chen two-footed his double axel - d'oh! Poor guy!
    Last edited by Cheylana; 02-18-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Thought of some more stuff
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QB View Post
    "and they did ignore some skaters all together, like Bradley Lord."
    How can they possibly say this film is a memorial and then ignore skaters who died? I was appalled to think what their family members must feel.
    The editing made this a tribute to Maribel Vinson to the detriment of many other deserving storylines.
    I thought so too. Actually, I was more than a little bit upset that the Owens got the lion's share of attention-which I wouldn't have minded if they hadn't completely ignored skaters like Bradley and Rhode.

I wonder if perhaps-just perhaps-the families of the skaters who weren't featured wanted it that way?? Perhaps they wanted no involvement in the film? I have read that Rhode Michaelson's grave remained unmarked for years because her parents could never quite accept that she was gone. Rhode finally got a gravemarker-I wonder who commissioned it? Also, from links posted here some of the relatives of the crash victims it seems are still bitter to this day that they were treated or perceived they were treated shabbily by authorities, and that it took the U.S Skating officials decades before they finally honored their lost loved ones in the Hall of Fame.

vCash
    How can they possibly say this film is a memorial and then ignore skaters who died? I was appalled to think what their family members must feel.
    The editing made this a tribute to Maribel Vinson to the detriment of many other deserving storylines.
    I enjoyed the film, but I have to agree with this. There was a woman I spoke with during a viewing in Las Vegas who was a speed skater that used to skate at the same club as Rhode Michelson and kept going on and on about how much the crash affected her. How horrible for her to sit through the entire movie and only see one mention, a brief listing of her name and age, of her old friend.

I really think it would have been better if they had shown at least a few clips and stories of EVERYONE on the team. Instead, they acted as though the the Owen family were the only ones lost. As special as they are, their stories have mostly been told before, and I was hoping to hear more about the lesser-knowns.

vCash
    Evan is not only a skategod, he's a rockstar as well. He is very well-spoken. Loved seeing the two segments that were taped in Greensboro...I had the pleasure of being there for the taping and I'm glad I was. The segments were nice to see on film but live they were even better.
    I thought I heard Evan produced and choreographed the special performance he did with younger skaters. Was it right? In any case, Evan and Frank did a great talk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    They did mention the woman in Texas who didn't want to participate & then changed her mind & provided pictures of her family member (forgot which one). So it may be that the skaters who were left out of the film were left out because their families didn't want to take part or to provide any memoribilia. But all the skaters were listed by name.
    The coffee-table book, Indelible Images, is chock-a-full of photos and mementos from ALL team members. The filmmakers simply did not have time (space within the allotted 75 minutes) to include all of them. The DVD will contain all missing stories as extras.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by harekrishna43 View Post
    ...Everyone in the audience took a collective gasp when Vera came on the screen. .......
    Also at our theater, the Regal Ballston Commons in Arlington, VA...which was quite packed (yeah!). Yet the odd thing is that, despite the bony back, shoulders and neck, Vera's face appeared to be quite plump and round -- almost bloated -- during interview close-ups. I don't get it. How can someone be so rail-thin yet have a plump face?
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 02-18-2011 at 11:10 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    The coffee-table book, Indelible Images, is chock-a-full of photos and mementos from ALL team members. The filmmakers simply did not have time (space within the allotted 75 minutes) to include all of them. The DVD will contain all missing stories as extras.
    But they would've had time if the interview, which was a lot of rehash stuff form the film, had been cut shorter...

-Bridget

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    But they would've had time if the interview, which was a lot of rehash stuff form the film, had been cut shorter...

-Bridget
    I know - they would have in the context of last night's event. But the USFS specified to the filmmakers that they had 70-75 minutes for the actual documentary film. That could not vary. The filmmakers were referring to that and, hence, will tell all of the missing stories in the DVD version, as 'extras.'

I'm just thrilled beyond words that RISE -- the film itself, not the live 'event' -- turned out to be mostly historical in nature and NOT the infomercial and/or cavalcade of current stars that many FSUers were 'certain' it would be, yesterday afternoon.

Question on last night's event: Peter Carruthers went on about "all 13 Olympic gold medalists in attendance here for the first time." So why weren't they all asked to stand or line-up on the stage? That would have been a great way to end the night - seeing them all together. Did they even show Tara and Sarah live? Or 'Team Heiss-Jenkins' live (they were in the film)? I saw clips of Kristi and Tenley making their red-carpet entrances. A line-up at the end would have been nice, especially after the build-up by Peter C, who was a hoot. Live MC'ing is NOT his forte!
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 02-18-2011 at 11:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Here is a photo of Vera Wang from tonight.

And here is one from Wed.

I saw her in Greensboro and her thighs were as thick as most folks' arms.
    I'm surprised she can walk. Is she okay?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Also at our theater, the Regal Ballston Commons in Arlington, VA...which was quite packed (yeah!). Yet the odd thing is that, despite the bony back, shoulders and neck, Vera's face appeared to be quite plump and round -- almost bloated -- during interview close-ups. I don't get it. How can someone be so rail-thin yet have a plump face?
    If Vera had worn a dress that covered her bony back and was a different color (not flesh colored), she would have looked better. The camera angle and dress style/color exaggerated her skeletal looks.

vCash
    My theater had less then 50 people in it.... and all of them gasped when Vera Wang appeared.

Overall it was good, we had no technical difficulties, but we also could not have made anyone much money.

(No cards on how to get the pin etc... Seriously, there was no one there.)
    Last edited by Carolla5501; 02-18-2011 at 12:47 PM.

vCash
    There were a lot of people who died... I don't think most of us were really going to sit through a 6 hour event to disucss all of them.

Just like most tributes to victims of things like this, the producers have to pick and choose... Think about it, it's the same with 9/11 etc...

vCash
    Going in, I was afraid that the pre- and post- film slots would be filled with pleas for donations to the Memorial Fund so I was very pleased with what we got instead. I went with a group of skaters and coaches, one of whom was friends with the Boston members of the '61 team. She's already shared many memories of the crash and the time before and after the cash; I'm hoping this leads to many more insights from her (it was too late last night to discuss much on the way out.)

Personally (and I'm anticipating the flogging already) I though of the five panelists, Michelle was the weakest of the lot. None of the women were particularly well-dressed - I think Michelle's dress might have looked better if she'd been facing the other way so that we saw the longer side. For women of "a certain age" Dorothy and Peggy look pretty darned good but one of my seat neighbors was tryong to guess how many face lifts Peggy must have had over the years. I did expect more annecdotes from the five about the specifics of the Memorial Fund aid they recieved, although I suspect that for the most recent ones it didn't cover as large a percentage of their training costs as it did for Dorothy and Peggy and so didn't make as big an impact. People around me gasped when Vera Wang appeared but I think it was because at first glance she looked naked under the hair, and then you noticed how emaciated she is. I was glad when her segment ended - she may know how to dress other people but she has no clue about how to dress herself.

My theatre was probably about two-thirds full, and most of the people there were connected with skating somehow. I saw a lot of people I haven't seen in a very long time so it was kind of a reunion for us as well.

I will definitely get the DVD.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    My theater, in Arlington VA, was full. The film was originally scheduled for a smaller auditorium at the multiplex, and after that sold out they moved it to a bigger one.

Tracy Wolfson was awful; they should have had Tanith in that role.

Our theater let out a unanimous gasp when Vera Wang appeared too; to me, the scariest parts of her appearance are 1) the camera ADDS weight, and 2) she must think that she looked GOOD in that dress. And that makes me think that she has an eating disorder, because she is not seeing reality in the mirror.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast