Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingDancer View Post
    Wait, is Scott sick again? Oh No,
    No, he reassured everyone that he is fine--except for a touch of the flu.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    "and they did ignore some skaters all together, like Bradley Lord."
    How can they possibly say this film is a memorial and then ignore skaters who died? I was appalled to think what their family members must feel.
    The editing made this a tribute to Maribel Vinson to the detriment of many other deserving storylines.

vCash
    does anyone have any info on that ticket exchange thing? I went to the Rise website, but dont see anything. Supposedly, you can go to the website, put in something about your ticket, and get a commemorative pin and ticket.
    Erm.... I got nothin'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    There's skinny. Sasha's skinny. Mary Beth Marley is skinny. And then there is scary skinny. Vera looked skinnier than Pang looked at her thinest. Concentration camp skinny.
    the gasp from our audience was akin to the gasp one makes when shown a picture of extremely malnourished and emaciated children.
    According to Charlie Brown, there are three things you can't help but stare at: a babbling brook, a crackling fire and a Zamboni clearing the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    No, he reassured everyone that he is fine--except for a touch of the flu.
    Didnt he say that he had just heard that his tumor was back? I thought the comment about the flu was how he actually felt (just got over the flu), but otherwise, felt fine.
    Erm.... I got nothin'

vCash
    Yep. Same theater. How pathetic was that? Meanwhile Union Sq (sold out) went off w/o a hitch.
    I was at Union Square- there was a good crowd, but there were empty seats. I'm glad I went, but I don't feel that I learned anything I didn't already know. I also wanted to see more film of the 1961 championships.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QB View Post
    "and they did ignore some skaters all together, like Bradley Lord."
    How can they possibly say this film is a memorial and then ignore skaters who died? I was appalled to think what their family members must feel.
    The editing made this a tribute to Maribel Vinson to the detriment of many other deserving storylines.
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    The most moving part to me were seeing the photos and videos of the skaters (though they didn't even mention all of them, like the Hickoxes or Rhode Lee Michelson). I was hoping for more video of 1961 Nationals, too. Then again, us hardcore fans have seen it already.

The lack of contributions from Kristi, Tara and Sarah was really surprising to me.

I was a little surprised there wasn't more mentioned about the other skaters, especially Bradley, Rhode and the Hickoxes but I'm hopeful that those may be some of the scenes that they mentioned will be on the DVD.

vCash
    Anyone try to do the survey to get your collector pin and skating magazine? Its not so easy to find

vCash
    I am really glad I went. The movie was, at times, very funny and then again it was sad. Peter Carruthers was a waste of film..what was up with that? I went to see it in Nashville and the theatre was packed. There was an audible gasp when Vera Wang was shown. I thought the vintage films were wonderful and the fact that they had family members speak of the team made it very special.
    There was a Garden Kitty sighting in the actual New York audience. I'm jealous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by talulabell View Post
    Didnt he say that he had just heard that his tumor was back? I thought the comment about the flu was how he actually felt (just got over the flu), but otherwise, felt fine.
    Wait, so Scott is sick again?

vCash
    They did mention the woman in Texas who didn't want to participate & then changed her mind & provided pictures of her family member (forgot which one). So it may be that the skaters who were left out of the film were left out because their families didn't want to take part or to provide any memoribilia. But all the skaters were listed by name.

vCash
    I have to admit to being truly disappointed at not getting **whole** programs from the skaters we lost I thought that this being a movie made for and about figure skating it would be the right time to show at least the four champions' free skates from Nationals '61: that would've really, truly driven home to the audience just exactly what we lost that horrible day. I really had hoped to see all of Laurence's especially, but after seeing the clips of the other champions, I really want to see them. I can't believe that the only "whole" program we saw was from Evan... we've seen countless whole programs from Evan, for Pete's sake! Show us the skaters we haven't seen and will never see. The four champions' free skates would've taken about 16 minutes, surely that 30 minute post-movie interview could've been shorter to accomodate that.

Also, the post-movie interviews were rather unneccesary esp. since Boitano was asked to repeat *exactly* what he had already said in the movie itself (dumb question from Lauer, sheesh).

Oh, yes, it was dark. So were the special showings of Wizard of Oz and Back to the Future last year... I think the special showings just are dark which is a shame and I have a bit of a headache now from it.

I wanted the movie to be more about the '61 team than it was. I understand it was called "Rise" and was about skaters after, but still. Also, I wish it had shown more of specific things the Fund has done besides the skates Peggy mentioned and generalities.

Still, I'm thrilled it was made, thrilled it came to me local theatre, and thrilled I went. I'm drained emotionally from it all. So sad.

Oh, I'm in suburban Chicago and our theatre I thought had a decent turnout... maybe 2/3 full?

-Bridget

vCash
    I am north of Dallas and the the theater was PACKED. Really happy to see that

vCash
    He said that while the movie was being made, his tumor came back. I think that was the recurrence we already knew about.

It was so cute when he mentioned having the flu and said he enjoyed being sick "recreationally."
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    He said that while the movie was being made, his tumor came back. I think that was the recurrence we already knew about.

It was so cute when he mentioned having the flu and said he enjoyed being sick "recreationally."
    Everyone in our theatre laughed out loud at that.

So, the interview and red carpet stuff was really live, live? I thought at first it was taped from the premiere a little while ago, but then Peggy and Evan mentioned the Today Show from this morning and I thought, "wow!"

-Bridget

vCash
    That's the impression that I got from the interaction between Matt and Scott. Matt started by saying something about it being a tough couple of months (year?) for Scott, but he didnt want to go into specifics. I thought Scott himself said that he had just found out the tumor was back.

I'd hate to start something if I misunderstood, but that's the impression I got.
    Erm.... I got nothin'

vCash
    In the pre-premiere thread, I wrote:

Sorry, I am still hopeful for the tale of the 1961 team. Told by 'the storytellers,' with a dash of EvanFest at the end. I could live with that scenario.

I was absolutely NOT disappointed. RISE is a fantastic film - a documentary told through vivid recollections of those who knew the 61 team, with occasional interjections by current stars. It was absolutely NOT the focus on 'today' that many thought. Even Marilyn Meeker made an appearance. History buffs won!

Unintended Laughs of the night: Peter Carruthers as MC of the red carpet moments. (Ya gotta love him, though.)

Another smile: Within the first 5 minutes, The Kween talked about 'The Connection'...but didn't preface it with 'cosmic' (but hubby & I still chuckled). We knew what she was thinkin'!

Great news: During the post-show, one of the filmmakers mentioned that a lot of great footage and 'stories' were left on the cutting room floor...but will be seen in the DVD version as extras. Yeah!

A fantastic night - fantastic documentary focusing on history. Bravi Tutti!
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 02-18-2011 at 10:10 AM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I can't help but think that skaters and other athletes watching who were taught by their parents (hello, Nastia!) were rather confused by the running down of parents-as-coaches that was brought up more than once in this film and interview portion. Peggy tried to interject how she couldn't have succeeded without her mother's hands-on approach, but it was ignored.

MK could've given specifics on how the Fund helped her, I know it did and she talks a lot about it in her biography and I would've enjoyed hearing about that again.

-Bridget

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    At first I thought they said Tracy Wilson, and I got all excited.

Carruthers was a little ... off. He and Dorothy must've had the same Smuckers cocktail.
    We thought it was Tracy Wilson too, until this random Tracy Wolfsom chick showed up.

As for Dorothy, every interview I've ever seen with her she acts that way . . . a bit sheepish, rounding her shoulders like she's embarrassed to be there. So i wasn't surprised.

The lack of contributions from Kristi, Tara and Sarah was really surprising to me.
    This didn't surprise me at all. The skaters interviewed or the most part had a direct connection to the plane crash, or are Scott Hamilton. Kristi, Tara and Sarah didn't have coaches that were affected the same way and weren't in clubs that were as heavily hit.

Wait, is Scott sick again? Oh No,
    Quote Originally Posted by talulabell View Post
    No no no. To clarify: what he said was that during the FILMING of RISE he had just learned his tumor was back, which was the recurrance we all knew about from last year or so. So when the filmmakers were interviewing him for the film he was more emotional than usual. (which isn't to say he wouldn't have gotten emotional anyway, being Scott). But all he has now is the flu.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Village Idiot View Post
    Yep. Same theater. How pathetic was that? Meanwhile Union Sq (sold out) went off w/o a hitch.
    You guys should have come over to the AMC on 42nd Street - we had plenty of room!

Everyone in the audience took a collective gasp when Vera came on the screen. I did see her at the Ice Theatre gala a few months ago and noticed how scary thin she'd gotten but it looked much worse with the backless dress on the big screen.

I also wished they had included more on the other skaters who died in the crash instead of being primarily a tribute to Maribel Vinson and family - The article on ESPN.com the other day had so much more info - even if they didn't have the time to follow everyone in-depth, they should have included a brief bio of the whole team.

I'm looking forward to getting the DVD with the bonus scenes and I hope they also decide to release the 1961 Nationals as a companion DVD.

I filled out the survey for the Rise pin and it asks for a donation to the Memorial Fund at the end - which I made - but no one ever asked for my ticket stub so I don't know how it's supposed to be redeemed. I guess it's wait and see.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast