Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    vCash
    Yeah, but Leaver's grief never came to light through Boitano's presence, in fact she says she never spoke of it to him. I guess his purpose was to represent the same category as Evan, but it kind of fell short. Thanks for the article, though. Too bad they didn't get Linda on to represent that group.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieElena View Post
    I've never heard about Mabel's hand in Tai & Randy's success, could you share more please? Randy did the choreo for the final group number....would have been a good link to highlight.
    Mabel Fairbanks was Tai's first coach and paired Tai and Randy together. Tai has some great pictures of her on her Facebook page. Mabel accomplished a lot considering the prejudice she was dealt. The Rosa Parks of skating?
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Obituary for Mabel Fairbanks in the LA Times (October 04, 2001):
    Page 1
    Page 2

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I've never heard about Mabel's hand in Tai & Randy's success, could you share more please? Randy did the choreo for the final group number....would have been a good link to highlight.
    Tai talks about her involvement with Mabel in Episode #28 of my skatecasts. Very interesting how Mabel got them together.

I did not know this until reading here: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb...crash-20110215 - Linda Leaver skated with many of those lost in the crash.
    Which again makes me wonder why Linda Leaver then wasn't interviewed rather than Brian. Brian just seemed like the odd man out on that panel. I thought it was strange that he was a panelist rather than Tim Wood or someone.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Tai talks about her involvement with Mabel in Episode #28 of my skatecasts. Very interesting how Mabel got them together.

Which again makes me wonder why Linda Leaver then wasn't interviewed rather than Brian. Brian just seemed like the odd man out on that panel. I thought it was strange that he was a panelist rather than Tim Wood or someone.
    Each of the panelists was really, really well known in the larger community. Tim Woods would have been a "who?" to most people. I think that the USFSA was (weirdly) trying to pitch this event to a much broader audience, rather than realizing that those who were interested enough to go were very likely to be rather significantly involved in figure skating as fans, parents or skaters, skaters, or officials. Scott, Peggy, Dorothy, Brian & Michelle are pretty much the people you would have guessed they'd pick from the post-1961 era. Each has strong public awareness, great popularity, and few negatives.

I don't think that their assessment was accurate -- I think that the people who actually turned out to see the event would have been quite happy to hear from Tim Woods or Linda Leaver.

vCash
    ^ barbk; you nailed it! Gary Clark got the most laughs at our theater a) because he was funny and b) we all know him!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Beg your pardon...because I applaud and cheer, and giggle in funny spots? Maybe you're the stuck-up jerk who sat next to me?
    WOW!

Makes me glad I wasn't near you. If you call people jerks it makes me wonder how you really behaved????
    IMHO it is NOT appropirate to cheer in a movie theater or randomly applaud.... and ever effort should be made to keep your giggles under control. You aren't a five year old at Toy Story 3!..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    WOW!

Makes me glad I wasn't near you. If you call people jerks it makes me wonder how you really behaved????
    IMHO it is NOT appropirate to cheer in a movie theater or randomly applaud.... and ever effort should be made to keep your giggles under control. You aren't a five year old at Toy Story 3!..
    You have no heart. There was nothing inappropriate about cheering, laughing and applauding when warranted at this 'red carpet' event. As a ballet and opera subscriber, I wouldn't do it in an opera house but this RISE event was hardly that.

Besides, as a good Latina, I'm one of those who applauds as the airplane lands in San Juan...as does every Puerto Rican on board. Amazingly, Russians do the same, as their planes land in Russia, especially during the holidays. So I'm a Puerto Rican cheerer married to a Russian cheerer. It's good to show heart, when warranted...and RISE certainly was such an occasion, even though everyone in our theater was mournful when the part about the 61 team's airplane was shown. Horribly sad there - but skating rose from the ashes.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 02-21-2011 at 11:48 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I smell a new rep level! "___ has no heart."

As for Mabel Fairbanks, I wish they had had time to talk about her a little more. They said she had a "brilliant career" but that was it, and I was left wondering about specifics.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I smell a new rep level! "___ has no heart."....
    Huh???

Mabel deserves her own documentary and bio.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Huh???

Mabel deserves her own documentary and bio.
    Agreed.

This wasn't her story, it just crossed her story. And it crossed a lot of people's stories. They could never tell the whole thing, not with the amount of time they had and with how far the "degrees of separation" lead with the people on the world team and what we would call their "connections" in horse racing.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    http://www.examiner.com/events-in-ne...-of-rise-video

Interviews with the story-tellers, plus others from the "Red Carpet"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    I thought I heard Evan produced and choreographed the special performance he did with younger skaters. Was it right? In any case, Evan and Frank did a great talk.
    Randy Gardner did. That was the most thrilling part of the whole thing in Greensboro--watching from the second row while Randy worked with Alissa and Ryan and the other skaters before the filming.

vCash
    I wonder if Evan did do the choreography for that one routine, though? (The program with the kids from Greensboro carrying the flags and Evan carries the little girl.) I think I recall the announcer saying that Evan had choreographed that piece before it started.

Randy wasn't as involved in setting it up on-ice, whereas for the numbers with the champions, he was very hands-on and involved.

Psssttt....the routine that ended with the lit candles took two takes because someone's (*cough*Ryan*cough*) candle didn't light on the first runthrough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    I wonder if Evan did do the choreography for that one routine, though? (The program with the kids from Greensboro carrying the flags and Evan carries the little girl.) I think I recall the announcer saying that Evan had choreographed that piece before it started.

Randy wasn't as involved in setting it up on-ice, whereas for the numbers with the champions, he was very hands-on and involved.

Psssttt....the routine that ended with the lit candles took two takes because someone's (*cough*Ryan*cough*) candle didn't light on the first runthrough.
    Matt Lauer incorrectly stated that Lysacek choreographed and produced the skating exhibitions for Rise. The credits at the end of the movie correctly credit Randy with producing and choreographing the exhibitions.

vCash
    Well, the announcer at Nationals definitely said Evan choreographed some routine...perhaps it was his own exhibition, not the group ones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    If there is a link, could you post it? I don't see a survey/pin info on the RiSE website, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.
    Haven't read the whole thread yet, but go to
    http://www.rise1961.com/
    and click on the "redeem tickets" button.
    Some time after you complete the survey, you'll get an email receipt to print out and return (address is listed) with your ticket stub.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    Well, the announcer at Nationals definitely said Evan choreographed some routine...perhaps it was his own exhibition, not the group ones.
    I was at nationals and the announcer did not say that Evan choreographed anything. However, it was mentioned numerous times that Randy choreographed the exhibition numbers. Moreover, Lori Nichol choreographed Evan's exhibition number at nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    WOW!

I've on occasion, cheered or clapped during a movie, and...heaven help me...even giggled. The funny thing is, lots of other folks in the audience were doing the same thing (imagine that!) I guess we will all just have to crawl back under our big ol' uncouth rock...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I liked "Rise" and will probably see the repeat on March 7. Was the the movie I would have made? Probably not, but I didn't make the movie; therefore, I have no business imposing my view on the product.

It is what it is.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast