Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sk8 View Post

I also felt the stated general theme of "RISE" was not as developed as it could have been. That would have made it less of an historical documentary but would potentially give the film a larger draw beyond the FS community.

I actually think Barbara Roles Williams story is equally compelling in its own way. She spoke, we hear she was asked to come back to competition after the crash (& after having a baby!), but little is made of what she has done since then - the RISE part - she has coached many successful skaters, everyone sees her at competitions & she is still out there having a positive impact on a variety of skaters. The fact that they aren't all gold medalists doesn't make the contributions less important than, say, Frank's. That's the kind of inspirational stuff I think was kind of skipped over.

More of that would have also given the film more of the draw - the "don't give up, rebuild" message - of many sports films. Lots of us watch them even if they're about sports we don't care about because of THAT message.

Agreed. I would have liked to know more of other skaters and coaches that died in the crash, with less focus on winning the gold medal (in addition to my other comments in a long post)

vCash
    What the hell is Rise?!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post

I say, "Stay home!" if you want to be surrounded by silence in a theater, especially something as emotional and inspiring as this film & event.
    You sound as much of a nightmare in real life as online.

Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    What the hell is Rise?!
    This.

To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    You sound as much of a nightmare in real life as online.
    Beg your pardon...because I applaud and cheer, and giggle in funny spots? Maybe you're the stuck-up jerk who sat next to me?
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Inspiring indeed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenMichelle View Post
    I guess I just expected more of a This is where US skating was before the crash, this is where it was immediately after
    Although I loved the movie, I agree that a little more focus on the immediate aftermath would have been nice.

Besides that I saw one girl about 12 and 4 teenage girls and other than they all looked over 60. Makes me sad that skating isn't drawing more younger fans.
    I think all the younger fans must have come to my theater. We had quite a few teens.

Beg your pardon...because I applaud and cheer, and giggle in funny spots? Maybe you're the stuck-up jerk who sat next to me?
    It's common knowledge that people go to a movie to concentrate on the movie, not to listen to their fellow audience members giggle.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Because you behave like you are in your private living room when in fact you are in a public space where others have rights also - rights not to be disturbed by you while they try to concentrate on the film.

vCash
    Would you do that during a regular movie?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    So, after the crash in '61, did teams continue to fly together? When did this practice stop?
    From what I know, since the crash, we have never had an entire US team fly together to any competition. 1961 was the last time.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Better to be stuck-up than a public nuisance. The fact that you aren't even the slightest bit embarrassed about your behaviour says it all really.

And no I was asleep on the other side of the Atlantic when you were at the cinema.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Bringing the discussion back to the 1961 team, have to agree with Frau here on Indelible Images. The picures are AMAZING. Steffi really was a "little Shirley Temple," and finally a picture of Lawrence in color. And apparently Rhode was quite the nocomformist hellraiser! There is a section on each skater and person who was lost. Well worth the money, so glad I bought this.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    So, after the crash in '61, did teams continue to fly together? When did this practice stop?
    If I remember correctly, the reason the US team were traveling together is that the Czech government only issued them a blanket visa, not individually.

As they flew directly from the North American Championships, several Canadian skaters and coaches (who had individual visas) were originally booked on the same flight, but opted instead to go to England prior to Worlds. I was in London on my way to Prague, when I came out of a restaurant to see the huge headlines in all the papers - absolutely devastating. It is in my memory as if it was yesterday.

vCash
    I was a bit disappointed, to be honest. I really wanted to know more about the other skaters and coaches, and even officials, who perished. The Owens Family is well known. I found my interest peaked when they delved (shallowly) into Broadmoor and the coaching void.
    I love the scott, brian, michelle, dorothy - but really, I am so tired of them. I wish they would have had more with Tim Wood, Luddy, etc...people who were directly affected (rather than those remotely affected). I found Frank more human and touchable after this film. I also found the gold medal with Evan to be quite interesting when they showed Michelle's response.

Vera Wang is awful - and I bet she funded a lot of the movie....otherwise, why did they show her? I did not know she was that old, though, to have been skating with the 61 team.

I think this could have been so much more if they had stuck with the original idea, and left out the psycho-babble from Brian, Dorothy, MIchelle, etc about their parents. Been there, done that....get over it Dorothy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    That perfectly describes what I was disappointed in with the film. There wasn't a very good linear timeline, like all the students that Frank Carroll has taught (not just EVAN LYSACEK OMG), and other people like Barbara Roles, John Nicks, etc, and their long-lasting impact on the sport.

A single skater, even the "grandstudent" of Maribel Vinson Owen, winning Olympic gold 49 years after the crash isn't the important part. To me, it's how US skating evolved into a multi-cultural powerhouse that has expanded exponentially in size, scope and influence from the lowest to the highest levels in the sport. The crash was devastating but skating came back stronger. The Memorial Fund doesn't just help Olympic winners, it helps thousands of needy skaters fulfill part of their dreams.
    You've hit the nail on the head. This is what was lacking for me, too.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I say stay home if you want to talk and laugh; a theater isn't your living room and I'm not there to listen to you.
    And you aren't nearly as witty/precocious/wise as you think you are.

And no I was asleep on the other side of the Atlantic when you were at the cinema.
    Oh, so that's why she's still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    Vera Wang is awful - and I bet she funded a lot of the movie....otherwise, why did they show her?
    Because she's well known...

The audience gasped when she came on-screen at my showing too because of how thin she is.

Anyway, to answer the OP's original question... I had extremely low expectations of this film. Lower than low. Pretty much none of the pre-showing PR made me want to see it. I went to see it only out of loyalty.

As a result, I was pleasantly surprised. I could have done with less of this and more of that, but overall I thought it was well done and interesting and moving. OTOH, the only thing that made me choke up was when Evan was skating with the little kids at the end. I thought that was super-sweet and showed the whole spirit of the film by showcasing the young ones who keep the sport going with the older, established skater(s) who were once the young ones themselves.

Oh and my audience was mostly the adult club members with some middle-aged fans and a handful of younger skaters.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I was a bit disappointed, to be honest. I really wanted to know more about the other skaters and coaches, and even officials, who perished. The Owens Family is well known. I found my interest peaked when they delved (shallowly) into Broadmoor and the coaching void.
    I love the scott, brian, michelle, dorothy - but really, I am so tired of them. I wish they would have had more with Tim Wood, Luddy, etc...people who were directly affected (rather than those remotely affected). I found Frank more human and touchable after this film. I also found the gold medal with Evan to be quite interesting when they showed Michelle's response.

Vera Wang is awful - and I bet she funded a lot of the movie....otherwise, why did they show her? I did not know she was that old, though, to have been skating with the 61 team.

I think this could have been so much more if they had stuck with the original idea, and left out the psycho-babble from Brian, Dorothy, MIchelle, etc about their parents. Been there, done that....get over it Dorothy!
    Did Vera fund the movie? There were 5 families/foundations listed in the special skating magazine which we got, Tom Collins was specifically mentioned.

And wasn't Michelle gracious re Frank and Evan's being able to give Frank what she couldn't? So touching.

vCash
    Vera is 61. I thought she was a lot younger as well.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    And wasn't Michelle gracious re Frank and Evan's being able to give Frank what she couldn't? So touching.
    That sounds very touching.

vCash
    Well, for one thing, she's famous.

For another, she WAS one of the last people to see them alive, or at least skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Loved the part where Maribel snuck Mabel in the back door. Wish they would of referenced Mabel's hand in Tai and Randy's success. Guess we can debate forever what should and should not have been included. Still glad and happy to have seen this. Peace.

I've never heard about Mabel's hand in Tai & Randy's success, could you share more please? Randy did the choreo for the final group number....would have been a good link to highlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I thought that, too, except for Brian Boitano. I can't think of any connection he has except that he is Brian Boitano.
    I did not know this until reading here: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb...crash-20110215 - Linda Leaver skated with many of those lost in the crash.
    According to Charlie Brown, there are three things you can't help but stare at: a babbling brook, a crackling fire and a Zamboni clearing the ice.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast