Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    I've on occasion, cheered or clapped during a movie, and...heaven help me...even giggled. The funny thing is, lots of other folks in the audience were doing the same thing (imagine that!) I guess we will all just have to crawl back under our big ol' uncouth rock...
    Awww....you truly have heart, nubka. Glad that there are other uncouth spectators out there. Send a few over to DC, please.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Each of the panelists was really, really well known in the larger community. Tim Woods would have been a "who?" to most people. I think that the USFSA was (weirdly) trying to pitch this event to a much broader audience, rather than realizing that those who were interested enough to go were very likely to be rather significantly involved in figure skating as fans, parents or skaters, skaters, or officials. Scott, Peggy, Dorothy, Brian & Michelle are pretty much the people you would have guessed they'd pick from the post-1961 era. Each has strong public awareness, great popularity, and few negatives.

I don't think that their assessment was accurate -- I think that the people who actually turned out to see the event would have been quite happy to hear from Tim Woods or Linda Leaver.
    Exactly. It was as though they thought they needed another guy up there, and Brian was the only other Gold medalist, so they thought that was good. But he just seemed out of place there to me.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    therefore, I have no business imposing my view on the product.
    I am confounded by this statement. Part of consuming a movie is having an opinion on it, IMO.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I liked "Rise" and will probably see the repeat on March 7. Was the the movie I would have made? Probably not, but I didn't make the movie; therefore, I have no business imposing my view on the product.

It is what it is.
    Um, all consumers impose their views on products of all kinds including films-that's the nature of the beast in the business of supply, and demand. A movie is a product-some tank, others soar to billion dollar heights-sales are partly based on opinions. Word of mouth, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I am confounded by this statement. Part of consuming a movie is having an opinion on it, IMO.
    I was confounded myself.

vCash
    Tim Woods = Tim WOOD

The skaters that have not been paid attention to in the telling of this tragic and very moving part of our history are(and all a very important part of the rebuilding - a lot of talent and many went on to coach):

Men = 62 to 66
    Monty Hoyt
    Scott Allen
    David Edwards
    James Short
    Thomas Litz
    Gary Visconti
    Billy Chapel T
    Tim Wood
    John Misha Petkevich

Ladiies= 62 to 66
    Christina Haigler
    Karen Howland
    Albertina Noyes

Pairs= 62 to 66
    Dorothyann Nelson / Pieter Kollen
    Judianne Fotheringill / Jerry Fotheringill
    Vivian Joseph / Ronald Joseph J
    Janet Browning / Jim Browning
    Patti Gustafson / Pieter Kollen
    Cynthia Kauffman / Ronald Kauffman
    Joanne Heckart / Gary Clark Barbara Yaggi / Gene Floyd
    Susan Behrens / Roy Wagelein
    Page Paulsen / Larry Duisch

Dance= 62 to 66
    Yvonne Littlefield / Peter Betts
    Lorna Dyer / King Cole
    Rosemary McEvoy / Ralph Owen
    Sally Schantz / Stanley Urban
    Darlene Streich / Charles Fetter
    Carole MacSween / Robert Munz
    Kristin Fortune / Dennis Sveum
    Susan Urban / Stanley Urban

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BackOnTheIce View Post
    Ladiies= 62 to 66
    Christina Haigler
    Karen Howland
    Albertina Noyes

Pairs= 62 to 66
    Judianne Fotheringill / Jerry Fotheringill
    Vivian Joseph / Ronald Joseph J
    Janet Browning / Jim Browning
    Patti Gustafson / Pieter Kollen
    Cynthia Kauffman / Ronald Kauffman
    Joanne Heckart / Gary Clark Barbara Yaggi / Gene Floyd
    Susan Behrens / Roy Wagelein
    Page Paulsen / Larry Duisch
    The skaters in bold were both featured/interviewed in the movie. And I'm sure many of the others were interviewed and were left out due to time. It happens with every editing process.

The USFSA sent an e-mail last night to members about Rise, mentioning (among other things) that the DVD will contain "much more than the film could include". Apparently, they've gotten feedback from people wanting to hear more about the other team members.

vCash
    Christine Haigler is better known today as Christy Krall (coach of Patrick Chan): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Haigler

Excerpt from USFS' mass email, signed by Pat St. Peter (USFS President) and David Raith (USFS Exceutive Director):
    Finally, and we want to be very clear, the film production costs have been underwritten by specific donors for the film and by future distribution arrangements that will be announced. NO operating funds of U.S. Figure Skating or Memorial Fund monies have been used to pay for this film or the February 17 event. With this said, the “free” media exposure and public recognition that U.S. Figure Skating has received for this project have far exceeded our out-of-pocket investment in this film. The social media recognition of the film simply exploded and has gone places our sport has never experienced before. The value – at no expense to U.S. Figure Skating - of the in-theater promotion of the film and U.S. Figure Skating alone is between $1-2 million dollars, and the intangible benefits of bringing the skating community closer together – bringing generations together – and instilling a sense of pride in our sport – affirmed the value of this project to our organization.

vCash
    It's good to know all of the additional information.
    I'n glad to hear more about the DVD; there's much to anticipate.

vCash
    Bumping this reviews thread up in case anyone would like to share their impressions of the encore showing of RISE tonight.

2 related articles today:

Figure Skating Pioneer Maribel Vinson-Owen Spotlighted In New Documentary

New York Magazine: Evan Lysacek on Rise, New York Rinks, and How Figure Skating Is Misunderstood

ETA: Oops, didn't notice that the original RISE thread was already bumped up. Sorry!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-07-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Title-less
    vCash
    Oh shoot, I won't be able to make it tonight. Should have gone last time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Oh shoot, I won't be able to make it tonight. Should have gone last time!
    I can't make it tonight either but so glad I saw the premiere!

Can't wait for the dvd.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I think I saw Garden Kitty in Rise - at a table. I also thought I saw Melissa Bulanhagui behind Peter when he was interviewing the young girl with the Rise pin.

I liked the film part a lot. I thought that Dorothy, Scott, Brian, Peggy, and Michelle did a great job of relating their skating experiences to those on the 1961 team during the film portion. There were a lot of families on the plane so I understand the impulse to spend more time talking about family influence on skating and what skating meant to the rest of the skaters' lives. But instead of the couch interviews, I would have liked to see more discussion of how USFS got through 1962 to 1964 to winning a gold in 1968 - they started it with Barbara Roles and Peggy picked it up when she was discussing Carlo Fassi, but I would have liked to have seen it continue with more skating footage. Maybe it is on the DVD.

I could have skipped the red (blue) carpet and um, Vera, um Wang.

I also hoped that the section on the special Evan performance in Greensboro was going to identify the skaters who performed with Evan.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    In my city, the first showing filled up 4 rooms in one theater. I was so glad there was an encore. I thought it was a great documentary, and gave me a greater appreciation for those who went before, and the connection current skaters have to those who lost their lives. They truly have risen from the ashes and brought new life to Figure Skating in the US.

vCash
    I went to see it tonight. I don't know what it was like watching it live, but I felt like it was weird watching all the before and after segments. I left before Evan skated his special exhibition. It just got really redundant. I normally enjoy historical footage and retrsospects, but I would have prefered to have seen a bit more of the actual performances, a little less of the photo montages. Of what we did get to see, I appreciated getting to see rare footage of skaters. I had not seen much of Laurence (sp?) Owen or the others. She was a jewel. Hayes Jenkins was an amazing skater. I appreciated the history, but I actually prefer watching skating on tv or in person. I didn't feel like it came across as well on the big screen and I much prefer the vignette fluff pieces we used to see from ABC

I was in Boston. It was an ok audience for an encore. I saw Tenley Albright (sp?) in attendance. It was pretty cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    I was at nationals and the announcer did not say that Evan choreographed anything. However, it was mentioned numerous times that Randy choreographed the exhibition numbers. Moreover, Lori Nichol choreographed Evan's exhibition number at nationals.
    You're right. Matt Lauer was wrong.

Less than 20 people at our theater tonight.

Ron Ludington is hilarious, to not laugh would be a crime. (If you really want to get him wound up, ask him what he thinks about IJS, lol.)
    Serious audience participation: http://www.avocabeachpicturetheatre....nt%20Guide.pdf

Just an observation about simulcasts: I read an article about the Met Opera simulcasts some time ago that was fascinating. At some of the theaters, people dress as if they're going to the Opera in person, the theater sells wine and cheese, and the remote audience applauds along with the crowd at the Met. http://www.pressherald.com/archive/a...009-10-02.html
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 03-08-2011 at 05:46 AM.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I went tonight - I know the original screenings in Seattle were sold out, but there were 12 in the audience tonight (although there may have been more at the downtown theater), and half of them left right after the movie/during the panel.

I thought all the historical stuff was really great. Loved the footage from the '61 Nats! I could have used more in depth info about what it was like for Peggy to have to step up at such a young age, and perhaps more about the other skaters who were left to fill the void. All the stuff with Frank was really lovely.

I really could have used about 20% less Scott. And while I appreciated Vera Wang's comments - she was there, after all, visually she frightened me

I think all the before and after stuff was probably really cool the night it happened - didn't have the same excitement knowing it took place weeks ago. Still, it was nice to see what an EVENT it was.

Really glad I went
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Beach Bum
    vCash
    There were very few at our theater too. Less than 20 I think. And about 6 or 7 left at the end of the Rise piece too.

vCash
    Don't forget to complete the survey and mail in your ticket stubs, if you want the commemorative pin and ticket. www.rise1961.com - click on "Redeem Tickets." Fill out the survey, you can opt out of the Memorial Fund contribution if you'd like, and they'll send you a form by email to mail in with the ticket stub.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Anyone know who were the 2 featured skaters in the piece with Evan that was filmed in Greensboro?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by talulabell View Post
    does anyone have any info on that ticket exchange thing? I went to the Rise website, but dont see anything. Supposedly, you can go to the website, put in something about your ticket, and get a commemorative pin and ticket.
    It is now May and we still haven't received our pins. The option on the site is no longer available so I just sent an email to the person who originally emailed my receipt/confirmation (I had made a donation to the Memorial Fund too).

My nephews are so disappointed. They're not even huge figure skating fans but they enjoyed the film very much and wanted the mementos. So do I.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast