U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash

Vancouver question

I'm going to Vancouver this summer and am trying to decide between two condos for the week - one is in Espana in the International Village and the other is in the Woodwards building. I stayed in Firenze by the International Village during the Olympics and thought the area was very convenient, but the Woodwards condo is closer to the Waterfront station, meaning I wouldn't have to transfer to get to the airport. I know Cordova and Hastings look sketchy once you get past Abbott, but I was wondering if it would be safe to walk to the Waterfront station from the Woodwards very early in the morning (I'll probably have to leave for the airport around 5:00am for my return flight). How is the area around the Woodwards?
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    It's better than it used to be, but it's still pretty sketchy. The Woodwards development is supposed to be the bright spark of yuppification that will bring the whole neighbourhood upscale, but....it's taking a while.

From the Woodwards to Waterfront Station, you would be walking in the opposite direction from the worst parts of that neighbourhood. And at 5 am, there won't be a lot of people around anyway, and it's only about a 10-minute walk.

I would say that if you walk confidently and don't look like a lost tourist, and if you're not weighed down by a lot of luggage, you shouldn't have any problems.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post

I'll probably have to leave for the airport around 5:00am for my return flight). How is the area around the Woodwards?
    FYI, the first train leaves Waterfront station for YVR Airport at 4:50 a.m. 7 days a week and takes about 25 minutes. I agree with overedge that you should be fine walking to the SkyTrain station that early, especially in the summer.

Enjoy your visit!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    As others have said, you'll be find in that area at 5:00 am. But if it were me, I'd be more concerned about the rest of the time. I'm assuming you're not going to be holed up in the condo the whole time you're in town, so you'll have to be thinking about your activities and what time of night you'll be getting home. The area around the Woodwards building can be a bit sketchy at night, but the International Village area isn't a whole lot better. Neither is super-dangerous wear-a-flack-jacket-24-7 territory, and if you use common sense I'm sure you'll be fine. But if it were me ... my first choice would be another part of town.

Is there a reason you want/need to be in that area in particular?

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Thanks for the responses! We want a place with a balcony with water views, so these were two of the few places we could find, and I like that Espana is right next door to the Skytrain. I felt comfortable staying in that area during the Olympics. I'm sure there were a lot more people around then, but I didn't think the immediate area was scary (going down Abbott away from Keefer was where it started looking sketchy). I tried looking for places more downtown, but not much met our criteria.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    I have no idea what your budget is, but you could also look at North Vancouver near Lonsdale Quay where the Seabus is. You are 15 minutes from Waterfront station via the Seabus and close to all the North Shore attractions.

For example: http://www.vrbo.com/332217

Just a thought ...
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I have no idea what your budget is, but you could also look at North Vancouver near Lonsdale Quay where the Seabus is. You are 15 minutes from Waterfront station via the Seabus and close to all the North Shore attractions.
    That wouldn't work for getting to the airport, though -- the first seabus of the morning doesn't run until 6-ish. There are buses of course but they take longer.

Besides, IMO, if "waterfront view" is part of the attraction, the view from downtown over to the north shore is far superior to that from the north shore to downtown.