Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wine

vCash
    mpal2 really did have the authority on wine tasting.

I used to work in a wine research centre. That was fun.

'jl, we need you to run a 3mL sample of this 750mL bottle of wine to see how much sugar, alcohol, etc. are in it.'
    'sure, can do John [the grad student I worked with]... what do you want me to do with the rest of it?'
    'well, there's no use for it in the lab, so you can take it home.'
    'are you serious?!?'
    'quite. in fact, we encourage it, because Danie [the other grad student] and I got kind of tired of drinking these bottles.'

I have a pretty strong base in BC wines. I like our whites, because they're usually kind of austere and a little mineral in flavor, and have a crispness. A little like German whites but not as sweet. Reds here are so hit and miss.

I'm looking forward to when I turn 40. Apparently then, the 12-case of 2009 Chateau Montrose I bought will be mature. I'm not 100% sure if I had a bad bottle, but the 2002 Chateau Hosanna almost turned me off of Bordeaux and St Emilion to start, since it tasted like the negative points of both cab sauv and merlot.

If you live in Cali, I think one of the better deals for a cheap white is Fetzer Gewurztraminer. I think it's like $5-10 in Cali since it's grown there and it is quite a sugary white that has a lot of citrus to it. Very good with spicy foods and Asian fare.

Wine, wine, wine...

vCash
    I like all wines--white, red, dry, sweet, but I like them in cycles. For the longest time, I drank only reds, especially La Crema Pinot Noir A few years ago, Whole foods introduced me to Proseco, and since then, I've been on a white wine kick.

I've found there's little to no correlation between price and taste for me. My favorite Shiraz is an Australian brand that costs $7.99, but I've never found a cheap champagne (champagne from France champagne) meaning under $50.00 that I've found palatable. OTOH, my favorite Cava (Spanish version of the "champagne method) is typically nine dollars, and I buy it at Wal-Mart. (Yes, in Louisiana, Wal-Mart, Target, CVS, and Walgreens all sell alcohol.)

Recently, I joined a wine meet-up group, and I like a lot of them, except the organizer. She's kind of a snot, and she told me that white wine is fine for a week-day night, but unless it's champagne or eating certain fish dishes, TRUE wine connosieurs drink red. Is this true? Is red considered the gold standard of wine, save champagne? I mean, even if she's right and it is, I'm still always going to drink the cheapest, sweetest white wine I can find just to annoy her, but I've never heard that before.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Please. Hubby and I went on a gazillion wine tasting tours and every time the person leading it would say that it's really about what YOU like. There are some very lovely whites out there and if she doesn't appreciate it, that's her loss.

And there's plenty of crappy champagne out there too.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I don't enjoy champagne particularly, but the winery tour at Domaine Carneros (located between Napa and Sonoma in the southern part of the county) was remarkable. (And they're very careful to call it sparkling wine, not Champagne.) Having small tasting glasses of champagne while eating some really nice cheese on their patio was spectacular.

vCash
    Barbk, I really enjoy drinking sparkling wines, they're fun. I'm going to have to try and visit Domaine Carneros sometime. My gosh, the chateau looks gorgeous!

I'm a bit embarrassed that I'm not able to contribute in this thread considering I started it, but I am enjoying reading everyone's posts!
    Last edited by myhoneyhoney; 02-19-2011 at 04:38 AM.

vCash
    I love sparkling wine. I used to always go for champagne, but my friend and I were at a fabulous restaurant in Athens, GA and they were out of the champagne on the menu. So, they offered us a bottle of prosecco. I buy prosecco just about every time I go to Whole Foods now.

I tend to drink red wine during the winter/early spring and white and sparkling during the late spring into the early part of fall.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I'm not big into wine, although I certainly try. Whites are what I like, and I can honestly say I haven't tried a red that I liked even remotely. But maybe that's because I like sweet as opposed to dry.

My favorite that I've come across is Relax. Yeah, it's a cheaper wine, but it's good.

vCash
    I looove Proseco. I always pick up a bottle at Trader Joe's.

vCash
    I sometimes wish I didn't live in a such puritanical state so I could buy my wine in the grocery store.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    I've been on a Malbec kick recently.
    Catena, from Argentina I believe. Widely available and yummy. I always have a few bottles at home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Catena, from Argentina I believe. Widely available and yummy. I always have a few bottles at home.
    Thanks! I'll have to look for that.

INTJ
    vCash
    I think that while you're learning about wine just taste as much as you can and figure out what grapes you like. Ask the people doing the tasting lots of questions. Most of them are pretty passionate about wine and love to educate. A friend and I drink wine together once a week and we try not to drink the same bottle twice. The only wines that I really don't like are anything with muscat grapes. They remind me of those cheap floral soaps from when I was a kid. Blech.

ETA: I also try to avoid wines that look like they put a lot of effort and money into marketing. I'd rather drink wine from a winery that puts their money into the wine
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12