Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I didn't say that at all and have not been saying that ever. Obviously if a skater does a quad and level three and 4 spins and steps and choreo - that it is just more impressive as a whole if that person also had a quad in their program and not just triples. Quad does not equal great it is doing everything - going all out that is great. Chan fit that bill at canadian national perfecty and is the ideal performance. Doing just triples in mens is BLAH!

So I'm imagining all the times you've harped about the quad like it's the holy grail of skating? The impression I have of you, is jumps are all you care about.

I'm curious would you rather see a well skated competition with triples or a splatfest with quads?

vCash
    I think if a competition is not at risk of being a splatfest that what is really the point? You want the skaters to try the hard moves and if a splatfest is a result so be it....
    Notwithstanding the drop in income from US television, the ISU still gets a lot of its money from TV rights to competitions and ticket sales. Therefore, the ISU necessarily has to either pander to what the public wants to see or it has to find a new source of income. So, the ISU can't just blindly encourage the skaters to try the hard moves ... it has to create programs that people will want to watch. If that also allows trying hard moves, very good. But, that does not mean that the ISU has to tolerate (let alone encourage) skaters trying jumps that the skaters know they can't land cleanly because a fall still garnered enough points to make it worthwhile.

vCash
    To continue with attyfan's point--A friend of mine was a casual skating fan--as in, if he saw it on his television he would stop to watch and always watched the Olympics. He preferred men to ladies, and liked pairs.

Recently, he told me he stopped watching shortly after 2006 Oly. Games, because he didn't enjoy it anymore as the men just fell all the time and the pair programs were all the same.

Casual fans keep ratings up--there aren't enough rabid people like all of us here. And a lot of casual fans are not going to enjoy a splatfest.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I like quads. I want to see a quad loop, landed in a competition.

vCash

The age old question

If "Cleanliness is next to Godliness", is "Quadlessness next to Godlessness"? If so, Paul Wylie is going to be in for a full decade of therapy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    So I'm imagining all the times you've harped about the quad like it's the holy grail of skating? The impression I have of you, is jumps are all you care about.

I'm curious would you rather see a well skated competition with triples or a splatfest with quads?
    You are not imagining but that was not the whole point I was trying to say.

I would prefer a splatfest with quads over an all triple competition. But hopefully the winner would have landed their quads. But even jumping up and revolving four times is a skill even if you fall!

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Notwithstanding the drop in income from US television, the ISU still gets a lot of its money from TV rights to competitions and ticket sales. Therefore, the ISU necessarily has to either pander to what the public wants to see or it has to find a new source of income. So, the ISU can't just blindly encourage the skaters to try the hard moves ... it has to create programs that people will want to watch. If that also allows trying hard moves, very good. But, that does not mean that the ISU has to tolerate (let alone encourage) skaters trying jumps that the skaters know they can't land cleanly because a fall still garnered enough points to make it worthwhile.
    But if a failure is punished too much then you saw skaters just stop trying. I am pretty sure the ISU made the punishment harsher not to discourage quads but to encourage improvement so that the fallers would land them. That is just my theory. I don't think they expected the not even trying!

There are so many jumps to do and spins and steps that a fall on one doesn't bother me! I know people who think fall equals the entire program failed! But not even if the program was all Doubles would eliminate falling! LOL a basketball team can miss tons and tons of shots but there are many opportunities to shoot and missing a basket doesn't disqualify a team.

vCash
    a basketball team can miss tons and tons of shots but there are many opportunities to shoot and missing a basket doesn't disqualify a team.
    And a baseball player can get a hit 3 out of 10 at bats and be an excellent hitter.

But this is a different sport. Comparing apples to aquariums doesn't help your argument.

vCash
    Look, another classy FSU poster :

"The fact that a quadless Lysacek beat a be-quaded Plushenko speaks volumes about how vile Plushy's skating was, is and always will be. He's an ugly Russian bastard, arrogant with a warped sense of entitlement. That spastic footwork, shallow sit spins and hideous drag queen costumes he wears should not, in this world, put ANYONE on a podium.

CaseyoEdwards is a psycho poster from FSUniverse.net. This creature must be stopped."

vCash
    This post by caseyedwards is unbelievable.
    I don't like Evan's skating, but I'm really happy that he won it over Plushenko.
    And honestly, I think Plushenko should not have been on the podium : Stephane and Daisuke are so much better !

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Are slim suits ever comfortable for a guy to wear? It looks good on a lean and especially tall guy like Evan, but I can't it imagine it's comfortable to sit down in or to move about.
    LOL, this one is not that slim, it's more of a cigarette suits (I don't know if it's called like that in english).
    Anyway, I guess it depends, but I personnally don't feel good in a slim trousers. It's better when there's strecht in it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    And a baseball player can get a hit 3 out of 10 at bats and be an excellent hitter.

But this is a different sport. Comparing apples to aquariums doesn't help your argument.
    The LOL couldn't have been clearer that it was meant as a joke!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Regardless of who "deserved" the gold medal (I believe Evan did,) that stunt Plushenko pulled in stepping up on the gold medal platform before the medals ceremony was the most juvenile act of tasteless bad manners and unsportsmanlike conduct I have ever seen in skating.
    Ironically enough, even the American commentators laughed at that. Perhaps it was juvenile, yes. Unsportsmanlike? Hardly. Give him a break. Perhaps it was also his own way of expressing his disappointment in himself.

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    I like quads. I want to see a quad loop, landed in a competition.
    You'll have to wait for Plushenko's comeback next season

How is it we are still going on about this a year later? :/

vCash
    When do narrow victories stop being discussed? You can't hit a skating forum where there isn't a recent discussion of Lipinski Vs. Kwan! LOL!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post

How is it we are still going on about this a year later? :/

Trust me, we'll still be discussing it in 10 years.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Ironically enough, even the American commentators laughed at that. Perhaps it was juvenile, yes. Unsportsmanlike? Hardly. Give him a break. Perhaps it was also his own way of expressing his disappointment in himself.
    Yes-I remember. The commentators laughter nervously and like "WTF?" You are entitled to think what you like about it. I think it was childish, tasteless and unsportsmanlike, and your fandom of Plushy doesn't change my mind in the least. His own way of EXPRESSING HIMSELF??? Oh please! How old is he now? Let me express myself by saying that I think this act was the pathetic knee-jerk reaction of a poor loser. The only person winding up looking the fool was Plushenko.

Loving on babies!
    vCash

You'll have to wait for Plushenko's comeback next season
    Or Menshov in his next competition, since there was video of him doing a very nice one in practice over the summer.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Yes-I remember. The commentators laughter nervously and like "WTF?" You are entitled to think what you like about it. I think it was childish, tasteless and unsportsmanlike, and your fandom of Plushy doesn't change my mind in the least. His own way of EXPRESSING HIMSELF??? Oh please! How old is he now? Let me express myself by saying that I think this act was the pathetic knee-jerk reaction of a poor loser. The only person winding up looking the fool was Plushenko.
    Eys, 100% agree.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Caseyedwards meet Let's Talk....you two have a lot in comon

vCash
    Ironically enough, even the American commentators laughed at that. Perhaps it was juvenile, yes. Unsportsmanlike? Hardly. Give him a break.
    Plushenko is an experienced competitior on the international scene and an adult. Why should he be given a break for his juvenile and/or unsportmanlike conduct at the Vancouver podium?

Perhaps it was also his own way of expressing his disappointment in himself.
    He's an adult and should have been able to think up of a better way and more introspective way to express disappointment in himself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indra486 View Post
    Team Daisuke.
    Quite frankly.Me too.

vCash
    I cannot believe there are people still hungry for debates on something that occurred one year ago, to the exact day!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast