vCash

Coca Cola's secret recipe discovered....Perhaps.

According to a radio talk show they found an old article from 1979 which revelled details of the long held drink's ingredients. Judge for yourself.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...N0aGlzYW1lcmk-

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Saw this on the CBS Evening News last night - apparently the radio station made it and did a taste test, and something like 28 of 30 people said "that's not Coke."

The company points out that *how* its made is as important as the ingredients, and my bet is that while they still base it on the original, the formula has changed over the years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    The company points out that *how* its made is as important as the ingredients, and my bet is that while they still base it on the original, the formula has changed over the years.
    This would absolutely be the case. Is it simmered, boiled, pressure cooked, etc. etc., that will make it taste different.

Also, where the flavorings are sourced makes a difference. All orange oils and cinnamons are not alike.

It's like making gin - you can use the same amounts of the *same* botanicals, and get very different results.

vCash
    It's probably one of the original recipes, but I think once they started bottling it, the recipe changed. There are probably different recipes for cans/bottles vs. fountain drinks as well.

Plus, the recipe calls for sugar, but in the US, Coca-Cola has been made with "high fructose corn syrup" for many years. We always try to bring back a few bottles when we go to the Caribbean, where they still use cane sugar.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    My Dad was an Atlanta pharmacist for 50+ years (he's still ticking!) and his drug store was the second pharmacy in Atlanta to serve Coca-Cola as a fountain drink. Long before his time, of course, but there had been a pharmacy in that location since the turn of the 20th century. It was general knowledge that Coke had been laced with cocaine to begin with....and was invented not as a refreshment but as a "tonic" for medicinal purposes. I spent many weekends being a paid soda jerk for my Dad, concocting Coke floats and cherry cokes and lemon cokes with all the syrups and goop behind the counter. Precious memories. For any FSU'ers in Atlanta-Dad's store is now the well known Surin Thai Restaurant in Virginia Highlands. The beautiful tin ceiling tiles are the original ceiling. They're really lovely.

Then there's the other side of the family, my Mother's, who were native Atlantans since before the Civil War. They owned a considerable amount of Coca Cola stock early on but sold it because "they didn't think it would ever amount to anything."

vCash
    hehehehe The original coke is still sold here in Canada, only now it is known as Tim Horton's coffee. hehehehe Sorry old joke. People here say Tim Hortons coffee is so popular because they put cocaine in the coffee. hehehe

I know a place...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    hehehehe The original coke is still sold here in Canada, only now it is known as Tim Horton's coffee. hehehehe Sorry old joke. People here say Tim Hortons coffee is so popular because they put cocaine in the coffee. hehehe
    Really? I heard it was nicotine. A bunch of my co-workers and I were trying to get a former Tim Hortons employee who worked with us for a while to admit it to us a few years ago.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by musicgurl View Post
    Really? I heard it was nicotine. A bunch of my co-workers and I were trying to get a former Tim Hortons employee who worked with us for a while to admit it to us a few years ago.
    That *almost* makes sense - I don't go much, but when I do, it always smells like people are smoking in a Tim Horton's, and yet you can't. Hmmm ....

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    You can still by cola syrup and add your own soda water, if you really want to. Vermont Country Store carries it in their Apothecary section--it's for upset stomach.

vCash
    My BFF's dad always had big spray bottles of seltzer in the basement. Delivered by the company, much like a milkman, which I thought was really cool!