vCash

Shiba Inu: anyone familiar with this breed of dog?

FH and I are looking to add to our family late fall or next spring with a Shiba Inu puppy. Does anyone have any experience with this breed (first or second hand)?

They are super cute! And they seem to be a mid-size dog... somewhere between his terrier proposal and my labrador proposal:

http://www.calgaryshibas.com/pages/perfect-puppies

It is a breed that seems to work for both of us, but we don't know anyone who has one! An advice/insight appreciated!

vCash
    I don't know anything about them, but they are adorable!!!!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    What breeds of dog have you owned before? They aren't for everybody. They can be quite aggressive if not properly socialized and trained. They don't like other animals and are so-so around children. They are hunters and will chase things that run (like kids or cats). They take a firm hand. I'd talk to a lot of breeders about temperment and line up a good obedience trainer.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    What breeds of dog have you owned before? They aren't for everybody.
    ITA. Those little shibas will run right over you if you don't handle them carefully.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/shibainu.html
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    We have two solid breeders in mind and an excellent obedience school.

We have had (between us), Labradors, Jack Russells, Beagles and German Shepherds.

I have trained one jack and one lab - both very successfully. We would be looking to show our dog, so training will be forefront for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    ITA. Those little shibas will run right over you if you don't handle them carefully.
    Yes they will
    Shibas have that Spitz temperament: stubborn, very athletic, and often rather aloof.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TygerTyger View Post

Yes they will
    Shibas have that Spitz temperament: stubborn, very athletic, and often rather aloof.
    That sounds like some FSUers who shall remain nameless!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    That sounds like some FSUers who shall remain nameless!

I think they are very protective and bark a lot.

vCash
    My friend has one. It was a jumper, constantly jumped up on everyone. After a few years, she calmed down and has always been a wonderful family dog. She was just a bit wild with the jumping, being overly excited. It is probable that my friend and her husband didn't know how to train her. But she's much calmer now and is a great pet.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TygerTyger View Post
    Yes they will
    I've also heard that the Shiba is a very aloof dog. So, don't expect the affection you get from people-oriented dogs such as retrievers or the devotion of dogs such as German Shepherds.

vCash
    Ever since the Shiba Inu Puppy-Cam started, a LOT of people are familiar with Shiba-Inus. I'm not a dog person, but the one dog I was ever comfortable around was a Shiba....not too big and scary, not too small and yappy, but a nice intermediate size. They do not tend to be overly affectionate and slobbering all over you, which was also a plus for me.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    From the Westminster breed info:

"Though small in stature, Shiba Inu are brave and determined dogs. Originally bred to flush birds and small game, and occasionally used to hunt wild boar, they are now kept primarily as pets. However, they have a strong predisposition to escape at any opportunity. They can never be reliably trained to return when called, nor can they ever be trusted off lead. They also tend to be dog aggressive, so care must be taken to protect them and to protect other dogs from them. They are a healthy, intelligent breed, constantly providing challenges to their owners."

Not the traits I would look for in a dog, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be right for you or your lifestyle.