Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Will Smith is not a Scientologist. O_O My heart just broke.
    He isn't and he is.....
    (from Wikipedia)
    Smith has said he has studied multiple religions, including Scientology, and he has said many complimentary things about Scientology and other faiths. Despite his praise of Scientology, Smith said "I just think a lot of the ideas in Scientology are brilliant and revolutionary and non-religious" and "Ninety-eight percent of the principles in Scientology are identical to the principles of the Bible.... I don't think that because the word someone uses for spirit is 'thetan' that the definition becomes any different." He has denied having joined the Church of Scientology, saying "I am a Christian. I am a student of all religions, and I respect all people and all paths." Smith gave $1.3 million to charities in 2007, of which $450,000 went to two Christian ministries, and $122,500 went to three Scientology organizations; the remaining beneficiaries included "a Los Angeles mosque, other Christian-based schools and churches, and [...] the Yitzhak Rabin Memorial Center in Israel". Smith and his wife have also founded a private elementary school in Calabasas, California, the New Village Leadership Academy, which has attracted controversy and speculation over its use of Study Technology, a teaching methodology developed by L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology.
    IIRC he's also good friends with Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Lisa Marie Presley, and Kirstie Alley.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Everyone I know who has worked in show business doesn't have anything nice to say about the way kids are treated in the industry. The parents of the little boy who played Mikey in "Look Who's Talking Too" said they would never put their kid in another movie and they haven't. They said the only thing that saved the experience from being a total disaster was John Travolta who is a decent and kind human being. What they had to say about Kirstie Alley cannot be repeated in a family-friendly forum.

Another mother whose children worked on The Scarlett Letter said that it's fun for the kids if they're extras, but the pressure on the kids who are stars is enormous. Unfortunately there are so many parents out there who want their kids to be stars that there will be no shortage of kids to take the jobs available.

There is a documentary made by the kid who played Bud on Father Knows Best wherein he got a whole group of former child stars together to talk about how they were affected by being in show business. Every parent who is even considering putting their child into movies or TV should be forced to view it. They also need to consider the list of former child stars who didn't live to see the age of 40 and how they died. Drug overdose and/or suicide is high on the list of "cause of death".

Of course, such parents want to cite as examples the success stories: Ron and Clint Howard, Jodie Foster, Brooke Shields and while these are very successful former child stars, Jodie Foster and Brooke Shields have both told some very harrowing stories about their lives as child actresses and dealing with the public fallout of playing child prostitutes while being seriously underaged for such mature roles.

Any time there are millions of dollars at stake, the pressures are enormous on everyone involved. If there are problems, there is no way to shield children from that kind of tension. Anyone who works within the business should know that, but given the reverence for "family" espoused by Disney, I suppose I can see a certain level of trust until you remember that Uncle Walt has been dead for years. No one actually named "Disney" is in charge anymore. So in that respect Disney is just another multi-national, entertainment conglomerate no more or less deserving of such trust as Sony or Time/Warner.

vCash
    He has no one to blame but he and his wife.They are the parents,she is the child.Now,he'll just have to live with it and try to influence her to make better decisions,because now she is an adult and she can do what she wants. I don't see her as being at the Lohan stage yet,but if she doesn't wise up,she could go that route.As to Hannah Montana...can't stand it,never have been able to,would not let my kids watch it and some of my friends who have daughters,wouldn't let them watch it either.It was not appropriate for little girls IMO.And little 5 year olds don't need to be dressing like 17-18 yr old Miley Cyrus and they were,unfortunately she is "looked up" to by these little kids.And that's not good.

vCash
    There is a documentary made by the kid who played Bud on Father Knows Best wherein he got a whole group of former child stars together to talk about how they were affected by being in show business. Every parent who is even considering putting their child into movies or TV should be forced to view it. They also need to consider the list of former child stars who didn't live to see the age of 40 and how they died. Drug overdose and/or suicide is high on the list of "cause of death".
    I remember seeing the E! True Hollywood Story (before they started covering reality stars) about the youngest daughter on Father Knows Best. She was very candid about the money issues and how she lost everything. She also spoke at length about how she even worked as a prostitute after the show was over and there was no money coming in any longer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I wonder if Will Smith and Jada Pinkett are following this story????
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    If Jaden or Willow get out of hand, I'm guessing Will and Jada will send them for some Scientology auditing and clearing to set them right....
    I despise the Family Smith, especially those obnoxious little offshoots. After seeing them all on Oprah, I wanted to firebomb the stage. Talk about bratty and entitled!

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I despise the Family Smith, especially those obnoxious little offshoots. After seeing them all on Oprah, I wanted to firebomb the stage. Talk about bratty and entitled!
    Now now, James. They're not bratty and entitled, they're precocious.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    ITA. And turning their kids into little entertainment industries/paychecks seems to be their part time job now. After all, they won't be marketable themselves forever. I call it the "Billy Ray Cyrus Fame Insurance Plan"--if you can't get the big jobs anymore, sell your kids so you can stay in the spotlight. It may not be the case for Will, but I think it's starting to be the case for Jada.

Also...who names their kids after themselves that way? Seriously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I HATE the "I Whip Mah Hayah" song. If it comes on, the radio goes off instantly and my kids have learned to not argue! I can't stand the endless loops of that soundbite in the song.

Um, George Foreman? *runs away*

vCash
    Jaden made $60 million from the Karate Kid movie. Seriously, how could he not be a brat?
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Damn it, Florida! (throws down hat), them kids is BAD! Hell, you don't see Thelma and Michael doin' that shit! Why you always gotta look on the bright side of EVERYTHANG??
    ITA. And turning their kids into little entertainment industries/paychecks seems to be their part time job now. After all, they won't be marketable themselves forever. I call it the "Billy Ray Cyrus Fame Insurance Plan"--if you can't get the big jobs anymore, sell your kids so you can stay in the spotlight. It may not be the case for Will, but I think it's starting to be the case for Jada.

Jada has a VERY shady background, VERY. I cannot stand her. She's lucky she got her a Will Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    I HATE the "I Whip Mah Hayah" song. If it comes on, the radio goes off instantly and my kids have learned to not argue! I can't stand the endless loops of that soundbite in the song.
    Ugh, I CANNOT STAND that song!

Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Jaden made $60 million from the Karate Kid movie. Seriously, how could he not be a brat?
    I guess most child stars have to be that way, then...

vCash
    Jada has a VERY shady background, VERY. I cannot stand her. She's lucky she got her a Will Smith.
    I don't know about her background, but she doesn't look healthy to me like someone involve in drugs.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I used to LOVE Will Smith, mainly because he's really very smart, doesn't put up with other blacks who think it's fine that they use bad grammar and english skills, and is very driven himself. But when he started doing bad movie after bad movie, and then pushing the kids in the limelight, I decided I was done.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    I don't know about her background, but she doesn't look healthy to me like someone involve in drugs.
    sez she dealt that shit when she lived in Baltimore. I've heard this from too many different sources to dismiss it as gossip. I can't stand drug dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I used to LOVE Will Smith, mainly because he's really very smart, doesn't put up with other blacks who think it's fine that they use bad grammar and english skills, and is very driven himself. But when he started doing bad movie after bad movie, and then pushing the kids in the limelight, I decided I was done.
    He grew up in my mom's old neighborhood and a lot of people loved him because initially, he kept it real but still knew how to play the game in Hollywood. But yeah, like so many other actors who start out so strong, he became more interested in a paycheck than putting out real quality work.

vCash
    But yeah, like so many other actors who start out so strong, he became more interested in a paycheck than putting out real quality work.
    Apart of "Ali" what good film he has?

Bad boys? MIB? Indenpence day? Wild wild west?

...Her?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calica View Post

Excuse me, Independence Day is a great movie. It may not be the best movie ever made but it's certainly enjoyable.

vCash
    I still like Will Smith.As far as kids earning millions making them instant brats...don't quite buy that.That's up to their parents.If their parents allow them to behave like brats,they will become brats.If their parents make them get off their little behinds and do their chores like every other kid should be doing...well...they can atleast say they did what parents are supposed to be doing.(not doing everything for their kids,instilling a strong work ethic in them,teaching them to do everyday things for themselves, etc...)

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I enjoyed Independence Day. And Six Degrees of Separation, didn't he win an award for that?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash

I happen to think that I, Robot, The Pursuit of Happyness, and especially I Am Legend all qualify as good films, especially the last two. And most of them were good films because of Will Smith. He was nominated for an Academy for The Pursuit of Happyness as well as Ali. He's made some bombs but he's a very good actor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrushka View Post
    He has no one to blame but he and his wife.They are the parents,she is the child.Now,he'll just have to live with it and try to influence her to make better decisions,because now she is an adult and she can do what she wants. I don't see her as being at the Lohan stage yet,but if she doesn't wise up,she could go that route.As to Hannah Montana...can't stand it,never have been able to,would not let my kids watch it and some of my friends who have daughters,wouldn't let them watch it either.It was not appropriate for little girls IMO.And little 5 year olds don't need to be dressing like 17-18 yr old Miley Cyrus and they were,unfortunately she is "looked up" to by these little kids.And that's not good.
    have you watched the show? I am very careful about what my kids watch, and they watched Hannah Montana. It is a very kid and family friendly show. Miley Cyrus is not Hannah Montana, and vice versa. I also don't allow my children to dress like Ho's but they do have Hannah Montana clothes and music. My children do not read gossip magazines, they do not watch tabloid tv, and they do not go to Perez Hilton, or tmz websites. They have no idea that there has ever been controversy surrounding Miley, they know her as Hannah Montana.

vCash

I liked The Pursuit of Happyness, but thought he was woefully miscast as Ali.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast