Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    I don't think she's a billionaire yet.
    That's correct -- she "only" made $48M last year according to Forbes -- only good enough for #32 in earnings on their 2010 celebrity ranking. Hope she has good financial advisers, if nothing else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    I don't think she's a billionaire yet.
    Maybe I was thinking of the Olsen twins. Except I think that's their company's sales, not their worth.

vCash
    He seems to be doing a lot of deflection in that article, says he's not her manager, not privy to what goes on, didn't want to go to the 18th birthday party held in a bar because he knew it was wrong, etc. However, if my teen decided to go to a bar for his 18th birthday and I knew about it, I'd be there dragging his ass home and embarrassing him in front of his friends. I'd also be all over the bar for letting the teen inside - they could lose their license for that.

Saying you don't want to be a part of it does not give you the right to go 'hey look, I'm blameless'. It's his daughter, he needs to stand up, tell her what he thinks and stop complaining to magazines that her show tore his family apart. Seems like his lack of a spine helped. Be a parent, not an enabler.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    I'd also be all over the bar for letting the teen inside - they could lose their license for that.
    To be fair, that depends on local laws. The city I live in now just started a law that bars had to be 21 and up (previously 19 and up), and the city I went to college in you only had to be 18 to get into bars.

They just couldn't serve you alcohol. But you were more than welcome to pay the cover charge and dance the night away. Most even gave you free coke if you had a designated drive stamp on your hand.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I was in a bar on Thurs. that allows all ages. You get a hand stamp if you are 21 or older. They do concerts so people come for the music. (That's why I was there.)
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltask8er View Post
    maybe this was brought up in the interview, but what if Miley was never a child star and still was a difficult teenager? What would he blame the problems on then?
    Yep, on the bad teenager behavior scale, she's still nowhere near the far end--unless she's up to more than makes the tabloids.

She's a legal adult, lives on her own, has plenty of money--not much he can do at this point. Whatever damage was done is done.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    When I was 18, I smoked a lot worse than salvia. Honestly, unless Miley is secretly doing crack or getting wasted every night, she really doesn't seem to be doing anything different than most late high shool/college aged kids. Then again, most 17-22 year olds don't have an infinite supply of money and an entourage that will never say no to you.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    The bar thing is not such a huge deal where I live. Bars allow 18 and up in but only 21 and up can drink. It would not be unusual at all for an 18 year old to have their party at a bar or to go out to a bar that night since they officially can.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I have little sympathy for him if that was the purpose of his comments.

Despite the image of country bumpkins, the Cyrus family didn't go into Hannah Montana with no knowledge of how the industry operates. I have a hard time believing that they were naive what with his time in the recording industry and television prior to Miley's breakout role on a Disney show.

Yes, I do think it likely that the show producers, Miley's managers, etc. made decisions that were adverse to her best interests. However, their job is to market and produce a product. They aren't and can't be child advocates at the same time. That's why parents have to be involved in the day to day operations and the long term planning for that child. For example, her parents needed to be on that magazine shoot when she posed in only the sheet. Yes, Billy Ray was there for the portion he was needed for, but he just left. No offense, but his job wasn't done just because the cameras were done with him.

She has made some bad choices both in terms of her personal life and in an effort to further her career. None of them are the worst we've ever seen, but she has shown her ability to make some bad choices. My biggest issue about her "handling" is that she is always so late with the statements and they seem bound to public opinion. Yes, determining public opinion is important in response to media coverage of something controversial, but you can't wait for it to settle before you make a statement. In other words, I find her and her team to be very reactive rather than proactive.

vCash
    Billy Ray has no one to blame for his marriage breakup other than himself and his wife. If Hannah Montana hadn't of happened, he would be just another washed up country singer. Indirectly blaming "the show" is like blaming Miley herself for the divorce. Man up Billy...
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I don't know where her birthday party was, but in California she couldn't legally have had it in a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Yep, on the bad teenager behavior scale, she's still nowhere near the far end--unless she's up to more than makes the tabloids.

She's a legal adult, lives on her own, has plenty of money--not much he can do at this point. Whatever damage was done is done.
    I think that there very likely is more. I doubt her father is just worried about a little drinking and getting stoned on one occasion.

I don't think Hannah Montana is the only reason the Cyrus family has problems, but I would not be surprised if it were a factor. Teenage stars aren't treated the same as other teens and don't get to develop the same way as others do. But, there's also bad parenting, which could include their decisions about Miley and her career. I also have the impression that her parents have pretty much been giving her free reign for several years. A lot of parents would not have been okay with their high school daughter dating a guy who already was of drinking age. I get the impression that the parents realized a while ago that they had made a mistake putting Miley in the public eye and entertainment business. I heard somewhere that they decided that they didn't want to let her younger sister do the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    If Hannah Montana hadn't of happened, he would be just another washed up country singer.
    I think he was doing okay as a song writer. Except for the huge superstars that's where the money is.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I think he was doing okay as a song writer. Except for the huge superstars that's where the money is.
    Billy Ray has been doing okay at a lot of things. As rich as Miley is, Billy Ray is a whole lot richer and was before Hannah Montana came along.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Billy Ray has been doing okay at a lot of things. As rich as Miley is, Billy Ray is a whole lot richer and was before hannah Montana came along.
    Seriously? I know he did really well for himself but he was kind of a flash in the pan until Miley came along. I would think she has made way more money than he has, partly because she made her money more recently therefore inflation comes into play but I don't remember him having all the commercial opportunities she has had. I am not doubting you, just surprised by that.

ETA: I see the comment above about song writing and that does indeed make a good amount of money.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Seriously? I know he did really well for himself but he was kind of a flash in the pan until Miley came along. I would think she has made way more money than he has, partly because she made her money more recently therefore inflation comes into play but I don't remember him having all the commercial opportunities she has had. I am not doubting you, just surprised by that.
    Billy Ray still performs and while he isn't well-known outside of country music, he's had a strong career in country and has had much more than one hit on those charts.

He's also had an acting career that predates Miley's: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004854/ I still remember being when I recognized him in Mulholland Drive.

And he's made some smart investments; he's always had his money taken care of. He has a lot of friends in show business; he's always been well advised.

vCash
    I personally believe that all along, it has been the career plan for Miley to break out of the Disney shell. The controversial photos "stolen" from her phone, her smoking saliva, etc. In the end, trainwreck or not, Miley will have dodged the bullet of being stuck in the Disney-star typecast. Remember Hillary Duff? Since she lost her show, she's done all sorts of things to try to get a more mature look, but by then it was too late because she was out of the spotlight. Team Miley has been careful to start the controversy while she was still a Disney star, but of course it has been played off as mistakes due to her being a minor until recently.

vCash
    I think that when your family situation is out of control, you want to blame something or someone else for your troubles. And when you realize that your baby is an adult now and you don't have any control or influence it makes it even worse.

vCash
    Well the good thing is that he seems to be taking some type of responsibility. And I could be way off...however a lot of miley's controversial behavior seems very calculated to me as opposed to say Britney Spears who is obviously a looney toon or Lindsey Lohan who truly has a drug and alcohol addiction.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltask8er View Post
    In any case, she seems like a determined, driven person. How do parents already in show business best guide such a person?
    One way would be for a parent to *not* co-manage the child's career, especially when the parent has had no entertainment management experience. Yes, Miley has had professional managers as well as her mom, but parents managing children's careers never seems to work out to anyone's best interests.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Yes, Miley has had professional managers as well as her mom, but parents managing children's careers never seems to work out to anyone's best interests.
    It worked out pretty well for Melissa Gilbert.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast