Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Billy Ray Cyrus blames "Hannah Montana" show for family troubles

Country crooner Billy Ray Cyrus blames Disney's "Hannah Montana" for his daughter Miley Cyrus' issues, angrily saying "the damn show destroyed my family."

Blaming publicists and Miley's handlers, Billy Ray gives an anguished interview in GQ's March issue, where he adds he wishes "Hannah Montana" never happened.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/mile...#ixzz1E12fKXo6

GQ interview

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/cele...-montana-miley

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    cry me a river
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Presumably, since Miley was underage when she did the show, someone had to give legal permission for her to do it. Like, er, um, her parents? If it was that destructive to her family, why did they let her keep being in it?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

gold dust woman
    vCash
    He was in the show too...he played her dad. I'm sure he got a good chunk of change from that.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    That article was 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Grooving!
    vCash
    I didn't even know she was having "issues."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    cry me a river
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Presumably, since Miley was underage when she did the show, someone had to give legal permission for her to do it. Like, er, um, her parents? If it was that destructive to her family, why did they let her keep being in it?
    These.
    I'm not in any rush to bust out the violins for this twat. I guess those handlers held him and his wife down in their seats at gunpoint when she did that skanky pole-dance, hmmm?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    From the article:

After the first two seasons he felt things changing. "The business was driving a wedge between us," he says. He tells me that he has never been able to discipline his kids and that he now wonders whether that was a mistake. "How many interviews did I give and say, 'You know what's important between me and Miley is I try to be a friend to my kids'? I said it a lot. And sometimes I would even read other parents might say, 'You don't need to be a friend, you need to be a parent.' Well, I'm the first guy to say to them right now: You were right. I should have been a better parent. I should have said, 'Enough is enough—it's getting dangerous and somebody's going to get hurt.' I should have, but I didn't. Honestly, I didn't know the ball was out of bounds until it was way up in the stands somewhere."
    I don't think Miley is at the Lohan stage yet, but unlike Dina Lohan, at least Billy Ray Cyrus is willing to take some measure of responsibility.

vCash
    Billy Ray Cyrus....the next Michael Lohan.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    does that younger sister still have that children's lingerie line?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    I don't think Miley is at the Lohan stage yet, but unlike Dina Lohan, at least Billy Ray Cyrus is willing to take some measure of responsibility.
    True enough, but also from the article:
    He tells me that he has never been able to discipline his kids
    I suspect this has more to do with his family problems than Hannah Montana does.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Can't stand Miley and find myself having to urgently change the channel whenever she pops up on my screen, but ....

One of the cast members of SNL, Vanessa Bayer, does a fabulous Miley that always has me . On March 5, in time to coincide with Daddy's interviews, Miley is guest hosting. Might be worth a look for purposes and to see how they play it with the actress who does her so well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    He was in the show too...he played her dad. I'm sure he got a good chunk of change from that.
    He says he got $12,000 a week, then later $16,000 a week. So to me that's a ton of money, but for what that show was making Disney- it's peanuts. He says he hasn't made a penny off of Miley though, and that people wrongly assume he is her manager (because on the show he is the daughter's manager/dad).

I have no doubt that Hannah Montana ruined their family. As someone who was already in the entertainment industry, it seems like he should have been able to see it coming though.

This interview is a good warning to others with show-biz aspirations. However, I do think he is a bit delusional in the way he sees himself and some of the situations.

vCash
    According to the article, "[h]e tells me that he has never been able to discipline his kids and that he now wonders whether that was a mistake. " (emphasis added)

What was he doing before the show existed? I don't think that the show started with an infant Miley.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    First of all, this was a Disney show so I can see how it would be really easy to think "this is Disney, the most family friendly company, etc. etc." The thing you have to factor in is the fame and celebrity which seems to eat up adolescents and teens. Billy Ray should have known this being famous himself, that is where he failed. I'm also not aware that Miley is out of control? I know she had the salvia incident but is that so bad, really? If that is all she is doing or done? Also, what kind of control does he want of her now, she is 18. Even the best kids can go a little crazy when they turn 18 and move out on their own.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

gold dust woman
    vCash
    http://www.people.com/people/article...466426,00.html

Apparently, she had her 18th b-day party at a bar. Interesting choice, considering the legal drinking age in the US is still 21--even if you are a celebrity.

I don't think she's that messed up...yet. But that could change. The salvia incident was not a good sign.

vCash
    I'm also not aware that Miley is out of control?
    I don't think Miley is out of control, just that she's had her incidents. The article also made it sound like the salvia incident might not really have been that- it was just a really easy way to cover for it by saying she was smoking a legal herb. She was photographed with a beer in Europe when she was 17. Not out of control, normal, for a teenager- but how do you reign in a child who is a billionaire?

I think it's less about Miley and more that his family has broken up, and he regrets that. Miley's stardom was the impetus for that. In retrospect, not doing the show would be better for the family unit.

vCash
    I once heard a wise man say that when you are a parent, don't try to be their 'best friend', but raise them in such a way that when they are adults, they will choose to be your friend.

I don't feel sorry one bit for Cyrus. Wondering if a lack of discipline wasn't a good judgment call? Jeez, ya think?
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

gold dust woman
    vCash
    I don't think she's a billionaire yet.

vCash
    maybe this was brought up in the interview, but what if Miley was never a child star and still was a difficult teenager? What would he blame the problems on then?

In any case, she seems like a determined, driven person. How do parents already in show business best guide such a person?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast