Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash

"Rise" review - Did it rise to your expectations?

Or did it get a rise out of you?

Do you think the memorial fund donation will be on the "rise"?

Me, I decided to skip it. If it's shown again in my town in March I'll probably do it. BUt I'd like to hear what people think of the show.

vCash
    Why did you decide to skip it in the end?

moving right along
    vCash
    Did someone official say the film would be shown again in March? Really?

vCash
    USFigureSkating tweeted Encore showing of RISE added for Monday, March 7 at select locations! http://www.fathomevents.com/sports/e...iseencore.aspx #RISE1961
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    Wow, I'm so shocked, my area will be showing the encore!

Demon Barber
    vCash
    Well my theater had a complete failure. No movie. They couldn't get the satellite to work. We had audio for a while but no pic, but they couldn't fix it. A free pass to come again doesn't really seem like an appropriate make up for their mess up. Should've known when there was no pre-show there'd be no show show. Got there at 7:30...nothing til 8:20. And total abandonment at 8:30. Too late to even jump to another theater though the next nearest theater was sold out.

*sad*

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Why did you decide to skip it in the end?
    Because I would have needed a ride home from someone. I don't have a car with me today

ETA: I'm sorry to hear the mess, Village Id.

vCash
    I wish I could report that it was wonderful, BUT, the theater I went to (3rd Ave and 11th St, NYC) had "technical issues". We never got a picture at all and we didn't get any sound until 8:20 and then only for 2 minutes. Needless to say we all got refunds and a free movie pass.

The Village Idiot - were you at the same theater as me? I suspect you were.

vCash
    I loved it. It was really well done, IMO.

My only complaint: it was REALLY dark for the live portion as well as the skating numbers filmed in Greensboro. You could barely see anyone.

vCash
    I loved it so much.

I clapped loudly for Ryan Bradley, and these girls gave me a weird look, but I was like yeah whatevs, it's Ryan, how could you NOT clap.

Very touching story. Planning on going again on March 7th.

Wizzer's Human
    vCash
    The movie was well done. I enjoyed it. The live stuff could have been a little better but it was ok. I could not believe how horribly skinny Vera Wang was..

vCash
    I really enjoyed it. I was afraid it was going to be "RA-RA-U-S-A is the best!", but it wasn't, not at all. It was lovely and touching. I loved how they portrayed the skaters and coaches as human - not perfect, but wonderful all the same.

I have to say Ron Ludington was one of the best parts.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    It was very well done. I could have done without Peter Carruthers bookending the movie, but the documentary itself was very polished and professional.

I must say, though, that while everyone kept saying that this is a story no one knows and that people in skating don't talk about it, I had heard just about all of it before and think that most longtime skating fans have, too.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    The old clips were priceless - every lady had such a beautiful layback spin. Gary Clark got the most laughs! The pair team advertising cigarettes was just surreal....
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Loved it -- absolutely LOVED it. They did a wonderful job.

But I feel bad for all the people who had technical issues!

(Have to agree with Prancer about Carruthers -- what was UP with him? I thought he was about to spontaneously combust or something.)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I thought it was very well done and quiet touching. I saw it in Boulder, CO and the feed worked well no problems and the skating scenes from Greensboro were fine.

vCash
    Worked fine in our theater. It was a good movie, perhaps a little too focused on Laurence & Maribel Owen. The after-movie interviews were interesting.

High Points/Pleasant Surprises: Scott Hamilton, Ron Luddington -- both very eloquent, and I didn't expect it of either of them. Matt Lauer --very good as a host. I still wish they'd have brought Terry Gannon in, but I guess that doesn't work with NBC broadcasting. Vera Wang -- spoke about knowing the NY Skaters. (That woman is Pang thin. Scary. Very, scary.) Lots of film of Dudley Richards. Lots of skating clips I'd never seen. A lot of others, like Frank Carroll did great jobs, but that was no surprise.

Lowlights: Peter Carruthers shouldn't quit his day job. Ever. Some woman named Tracy played the part of the color commentator, and I don't know where she was from but she ought to head back to Entertainment Tonight and look for work there. Michelle, Dorothy & Peggy could all use a stylist to help them find attractive outfits to wear when seated in an interview area on low furniture.

I think that there ought to have been more direct stories of the Memorial Fund helping skaters -- Peggy talked about the fund buying her a pair of skates, Scott spoke generally about how it allowed him to keep skating.

Strange: they didn't make a direct pitch. I don't understand that at all.

I am glad I went; it was a good show, and I think it was important from a US skating fan's perspective. I probably will try to get hold of the DVD when it comes out -- there were quite a few bits that didn't fit in.

Like Coskater, I saw it in Boulder. Upper deck of the theater was pretty full; lower deck was almost empty.

vCash
    Excellent job...just wish it could have been a little longer, giving even a little bit of tribute to all of the skaters on the team (some not discussed were Bradley Lord, Gregory Kelley, Rhode Michelson, the Hadleys, and I think others in pairs and/or dance.) Hope that's on the DVD. I was also psyched to hear that all 13 US Olympic Gold medalists were there in person at the NY premiere, but they didn't do a group spotlight on them like they had at Nationals a few years ago (Evan has since joined the club.)

In the film proper, I especially enjoyed the reminiscences of Frank Carroll. He was much more relaxed and charming as a raconteur than he seems in the kiss 'n' cry. Seeing recaps of his reaction to Evan's OGM win tied all the legacies together in a very meaningful context.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    ...(Have to agree with Prancer about Carruthers -- what was UP with him? I thought he was about to spontaneously combust or something.)
    I think he had too much Smuckers in his coffee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    - Triple-gulp for every mention of "Cosmic Connection"! (Actually, I'll be very disappointed if the Kween fails to use those words. I've alerted hubby and everyone else in our group to it. Ha-ha!
    You're a woman obsessed with those words. Every other post from you on FSU is about Kwan and her cosmic connection.

Overall, the documentary was really well done. It struck a really good balance between telling stories of the skaters on the plane and emphasizing the growth after the tragedy. No one skater of the last few generations was featured prominently.

The anecdotes were hilarious, sad, and really moving. Maribel Vincent Owen came across as a woman well beyond her time -- fighting for equality, carving out a large role in skating, and really pushing limits. I loved the stories of her personality. I can see why Frank is much the same way.

The photographs and footage of her were really remarkable. The filmmakers did a great job the archives together.

I'm sure I'll have more to say, but I really enjoyed the documentary. It was pretty cool to see old skating moves, too.

We arrived much after the red carpet, and stayed for everything after the film. Matt Lauer did good job hosting, and kept the pace moving. At one point he called it a group therapy session, and that seemed very appropriate.

My only critique would have to be with Peter Karrathurs. He was really an embarrassment as he kept making weird sarcastic jokes and strange facial expressions. The theatre couldn't help but laugh at, and I felt bad for him.

One bit of gossip: Is there something wrong with Vera Wang? She looked alarmingly skinny to the point where the audience gasped.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast