Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Well, it turned out to be a rare kind of migraine: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110217/...speech_problem

That's pretty far out.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash

migraine

never mind

In Search of a Lost Chord
    The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    Actually I had a few such migraines in my late teens and early 20s where I had slurring speech. It was kind of scary but relatively transient.

I had terrible migraines as a child as did my Mom.
    Happiness is being married to your best friend!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Well, it turned out to be a rare kind of migraine: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110217/...speech_problem

That's pretty far out.
    Not so much if you have experienced one of those migraines. I have the typical migraines and many different types of atypical. One of the first atypicals was a similar experience. It appears to those around you as a TIA, but medical exam r/o TIA.

ETA - I just heard her describe what happened. I could have said the same thing word for word.
    Last edited by numbers123; 02-18-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    This type of migraine is rare in the general population. It's not the first thing that comes to mind when considering the differential.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    That is really scary, I have about 1 migraine a week and I have never had something like that happen. The worst is a tingly arm but my speech had never been affected. I hope if it hasn't happened yet, it won't ever. She looked terrified!

vCash
    I've had speech issues before with migraines. I knew what I was trying to say, but the wrong words came out. It happened at work once and the next day I called the neurologist. I was sent for an MRI because they worried I was 'pre stroke'. It still happens, but to a lesser extent. Saw the video of this and it was scary. Nice to see she's going to be okay.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    My niece had an episode where she passed out and when she came to her speech was slurred and one side of her face was numb and "drooping" (she was only 16).
    They called the paramedics believing she had a stroke, but the discovered it was a vascular migraine.
    It was terrifying!
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    I had an ocular migraine last fall--and I don't get migraines. It was scary, I couldn't see fully out of one eye for 10-15 minutes.

vCash
    so what is she and other patients supposed to do if it happens again? Get a thorough exam each time?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltask8er View Post
    so what is she and other patients supposed to do if it happens again? Get a thorough exam each time?
    You really would have no choice because you have to be sure it isn't a stroke or the signs of a major stroke about to occur.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I understand that migraine sufferers are at a higher risk of CVA or stroke.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Here's a conspiracy theory

A bizarre spate of television presenters dissolving into on-air gibberish has sparked claims that the U.S. military could be to blame.

In four high-profile cases, the latest involving fast-talking Judge Judy, the presenters have started off speaking properly but have then descended into undecipherable nonsense - looking confused and unstable.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...melt-down.html

Judith Sheindlin, the fast-talking judge on Judge Judy, was taken to hospital on Wednesday after she began speaking a nonsensical string of words during a live recording of her courtroom TV show.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I thought they said Judge Judy was taken for stomach reasons. Maybe it was just an excuse at the time...
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I read an article a couple of weeks ago where it mentioned that the reporter suffered a migraine. The person who wrote the article suffered them herself and would do the same thing as the reporter before the onset of a migraine.

I didn't realise migraines could be so bad. I know that people get really severe diabilitatin headaches but never knew that they could get symptoms like that.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I understand that migraine sufferers are at a higher risk of CVA or stroke.
    I was treated for migraines when I was a college student. Years later, on the day I had my CVA, I didn't even have a tiny headache. For me, both were preceeded by really hot weather which significantly increased my blood pressure. My speech wasn't impaired at all. I did have a TIA before the stroke but didn't know what it was. The side of my mouth was slightly pulled. I only realized it when it went back to normal.

On the incident with Judge Judy, I heard one report that she was feeling faint on set. She blamed the problem on fatigue and said she would be back filming in two weeks.

vCash
    Ah. Yes, of course, the US military is to blame for everything, and we all know that the Grammys and a daytime showbiz courtroom are two of the infamous hotbed testing grounds for military maneuvers.

I get migraines about once a month, but I also am occasionally stricken with brief gibberish episodes either before said migraines or standalone. Usually it's just an wrecked sentence, but sometimes longer ... but yes I sound exactly like the reporters in those two clips. My audience is usually one or two people ... and if needed I just stop talking for a few seconds (I'm generally not in the middle of report on nat'l/int'l television).

While the overlying vascular situation has me aptly more worried about future propensity for stroking than I would be (silver lining: I live an even healthier lifestyle than I otherwise might have), I know exactly why what happens happens. And I know what's not to blame. The US military has not been testing its brainwave mixing-up technology on my everyday life for the past 25 years.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Wasn't the original article published on April 1st? Just saying.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12