Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Can you beat IBM supercomputer Watson at trivia?

So IBM has made a supercomputer called Watson to play Jeopardy, and it's scheduled to go up against Jeopardy champs Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter on Monday's show. See how you do against it!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ivia-game.html

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Yes, but this game allowed me to go first no matter how long I took to answer, which isn't how Jeopardy works. For most of the answers I got right, Watson came to the same answer, and it may have done so faster than I did.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I beat it, too, for the same reason as Garden Kitty, although I was surprised that Watson actually got the wrong answer a few times.

This was my favorite:

Sing a song about one of these, a sailor's bag for small articles.

Watson's answer: Papa's Got a Brand-new Bag.

Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    28 to 21.

I've always loved Jeopardy and my team won several quiz bowl tournaments in middle and high school, so I was confident, but I found out I was way out of practice. Still able to win though. I am interested in seeing how Ken Jennings does tomorrow.

I think a good strategy for the human players will be to buzz in immediately even if they're not sure and then use the few moments to narrow it down. Right or wrong, the humans can then judge the computer's response time.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I can't wait to watch the Jeopardy episodes. Nova had a show last week showing how many years and how much effort went into developing Watson.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    I lost 3 questions due to my inability to spell

vCash
    39 to 18!!!!!!!!!!!!! I RULLLLEZZZ.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I totally bombed the bags category (although if it had been about handbags, maybe I would have done better ).

Re-registered User
    vCash
    They are airing the show right now. My kids and I are watching on the edge of our seats. I haven't tried to spoil myself so I don't know who wins.

Quite a different studio audience from the usual- lots of grey haired men in suits.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Sounds like it should be interesting! I'm an hour behind here, but hoping for some hilariously off base answers from Watson!

vCash
    I beat Watson 50-something to 5! And that was even when with my my of "ditty" was disallowed because I didn't realize that I had to retype "What is" that appeared in the answer box. Of course, the time thing gave me an advantage (and Watson answered the Elvis question, which I passed on), but some of Watson's "don't know" guesses were quite funny.

vCash
    I watched it--I loved Watson's second and third guesses. The competitors are interesting too--I get the feeling Ken Jennings is not taking this all that seriously and is quite happy to guess and have some fun with Watson, but I think Brad *really* wants to win.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    What were the results today?

Re-registered User
    vCash
    They got through one board- Watson and Brad are tied with, I think, $5000 each, and Ken is in third with $2000.

Watson missed one when it answered "What are the Nineteen-twenties", after Ken had just guessed "The Twenties". And missed one when it just left out a qualifying word that a human would have known was necessary.

I agree that Brad really wants to win. Ken seems more laid back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    Watson missed one when it answered "What are the Nineteen-twenties", after Ken had just guessed "The Twenties".
    I agree that Brad really wants to win. Ken seems more laid back.
    I laughed really hard when Alex said "Ken already guessed 'The Twenties', Watson!" so disapprovingly. Bad Watson -- no soup for you!
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I was doing well at first but then lost horribly. I ended up with a negative number. Trivia is not my thing, obviously.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Something like 58 to 4, me, but only because I could think about it longer than I would on real Jeopardy. So I'd probably trounce Watson in Trivial Pursuit if I got to go first, but when buzzer speed factors in it would be much tighter.

vCash
    We tied, 28 apiece.

vCash
    Watson is destroying Brad and Ken today.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    It is both sad and thrilling to watch a machine outthink a human.

The medical applications of this computer will be invaluable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast