Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Madonna's music began to earn critical respect when her "Like A Prayer" album came out. It was her third album, and it was a marked departure from the high-voiced singer of her first two albums. It was considered her best work up to that point.

Madonna had a sucession of stronger and stronger hit singles. I think Gaga had one good, extremely catchy song in Bad Romance, but every song after that was mainly dependent on her bloated videos to keep the public interest. Telephone and Aljenrao were mediocre songs at best. Of course only time will tell what kind of staying power she has, but she has yet to demonstrate that her music has grown or change.

You are right. I thought she was at her best in the '89 - '91 era, but she hit a stinker with 'Erotica' in 1992 and it was one of her lowest selling albums, she rebounded, but tanked later with 'American Life' in 2003. Her highest selling album was 'True Blue' w/ 24,000,000 copies. I think Lady Gaga is already at 10,000,000 - 12,000,000 after a couple of years.... We'll see what happens.

FTR, I like both. Madonna has said nothing but good things about Lady Gaga and vice-versa. If they don't care about competing w/ one another, why should we?

Hats off to Madonna, but quite a few of her songs were as well.

BTW, 'Born this Way' is squashing Britney Spears 'Hold it Against Me' in its first week of sales, and it is looking to debut at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100:

http://www.411mania.com/music/news/1...-On-Charts.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    That was my thought within 5 seconds into "Born This Way." It's practically the same chord progression.

Have you ever seen the Axis of Awesome do their "all great pop songs are just the same four chord progression" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I

And they're right!

Ant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhianna View Post
    Alejandro always reminded me distinctly of La Isla Bonita.
    There is a really funny spoof on youtube of Alejandro with elements of La Isla Bonita together with nearly all of Ace of Base's back cataolgue which had the same chord progression.

Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Really, I just love the dubstep-inspired breakdown, which is definitely at least somewhat pushing the boundaries now, which Gaga is not doing in anything but her fashion sense. And Brit is the star of my workout playlist.
    Music reviewers keep on writing about the "dubstep-inspired" breakdown in the song as if it is some almighty miracle! I have ot say firstly dubstep has been around since the late 90s and certainly in UK gay clubs there a dubstep versions on most pop songs doing the rounds including most of Britney, Madonna, Kylie, Gaga's songs.

I love hold it against me, and the reason I love it so much is because it sounds like the bastard child of Shattered Glass and Circus!

I didn't get all the praise of the breakdown, since it seems forumulaic for Britney songs. Either way I do like it (and prefer it to Born This Way - but i haven't heard Born This Way nearly as much as Hold It Against Me so it might be a grower)

Ant
    Last edited by antmanb; 02-15-2011 at 11:37 AM.

vCash
    Did Britney ever stop being sweet? I can't recall a negative comment she's made about any singer.

Lady Gaga is alright I guess and sure this song looks to be a hit. But who knows how memorable she will be in 10 years time. Hell I can't name a single Janet Jackson or Mariah Carey song without having to google. And both of them were/are superstars.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Did Britney ever stop being sweet? I can't recall a negative comment she's made about any singer.

Lady Gaga is alright I guess and sure this song looks to be a hit. But who knows how memorable she will be in 10 years time. Hell I can't name a single Janet Jackson or Mariah Carey song without having to google. And both of them were/are superstars.
    I can't believe that you can't think of a single Mariah Carey song this soon after Christmas

Ant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    I'm no JJ fan but I can immediately recall songs like "What Have You Done For Me Lately" or the lyric "It's Miss Jackson, if you're nasty"

Mariah is a bit less memorable for me, but I do remember being blown away when I first heard Vision Of Love. Now that she only does hip-hip I don't really care anymore to listen to her.

vCash
    I like Lady Gaga a lot-I think she has staying power and she is very very talented. She said on Jay leno last night that Madonna liked her new song. I wonder how that went down LOL. Did Madonna send her an email?

vCash
    Well, here's the music video. It's effin' WEIRD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV1FrqwZyKw

vCash
    just saw it - well, I actually fast-forwarded some bits because I was bored - and I possibly like it less than the song. The song is mediocre, but this is weird for the sake of being weird, to generate publicity because the song is mediocre... sooo... not my kind of thing. Thumbs down!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't care to watch aliens giving birth. The video is not so good but the main problem is how overhyped her stuff has become. One of her makeup artists tweeted that after he saw the finished video he cried. Now, you tell me, what part of this video could possibly make you cry? The disgusting birth scenes or the quite horrible dancing? I am a big Gaga fan, don't get me wrong, but she needs to tell her team to tone down the overhyping. It only backfires. If I wasn't expecting something to make me cry then I might think the video is at least entertaining.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    LOL. I can't.

vCash
    It was a hot mess. And not in a good way.

I never liked the term "trying too hard", but UGH, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw this video.

vCash
    Oh my goodness. LOVE the song, but the video is bad bad bad.

vCash
    I like it.

My irritation is with the messed up view count. 330 views? I don't think so !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    I like it.

My irritation is with the messed up view count. 330 views? I don't think so !
    Yeah..it HAS to be higher than that!

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    It was a hot mess. And not in a good way.

I never liked the term "trying too hard", but UGH, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw this video.
    The difference I'm seeing between Lady Gaga and Madonna is that there is no controversy around this chick no matter how hard she (seems) to be trying to be controversial. With Madonna EVERYTHING she did caused controversy. Wearing rosaries as jewelry? Controversial. Rolling around like a slut on a Venice canal boat in a wedding dress? Controversial. Making out with a black saint and burning crosses? Controversial. Hairy armpits in Hustler? Controversial. Posing buck ass nekkid in a coffee table book? Controversial. Embracing teh gays? Controversial.

Different times back then, of course.

Every time Madonna did something it pissed SOMEONE off and that kept things going for her. Lady Gaga? She's not pissing anybody off because we've all seen it before. Over and over and over again with Madonna. The world is jaded now. So no matter what she's putting out there nobody's getting pissed off. People may be annoyed or grossed out or weirded out but she's not offending people like Madonna did. Why didn't Cyndi Lauper go as far as Madonna? Because she didn't piss anyone off. She was just kooky.

Sinead O'Connor didn't have to do much to be controversial. All it took for her was to rip up a picture of the Pope on television. Sarah Palin's a billion times more controversial than this chick is. Being all sorts of mavericky and whatnot. I wonder who will have the longer career, Lady Gaga or Sarah Palin?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I don't care to watch aliens giving birth. The video is not so good but the main problem is how overhyped her stuff has become. One of her makeup artists tweeted that after he saw the finished video he cried. Now, you tell me, what part of this video could possibly make you cry? The disgusting birth scenes or the quite horrible dancing?

I love Lady Gaga, but I'm not sure what is going on in this video. It's a hot mess, but I think that's part of her appeal. I'm sure there is some hidden message about equality, world peace, the solution to all of life's problems that her "little monsters" see that you and I are missing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Alright geezers, remember this?
    I remember !!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    The video is wild and weird .... just like Gaga herself. I like (don't love) the video and LOVE the song.

But, you know, it really doesn't matter whether we love it or hate it, I predict this video will go right to the top. On Feb. 23rd, Lady G tweeted to thank her "monsters" for making Born This Way #1 in 14 countries and #1 on The Hot 100 again. No doubt, it's going to be the same story for the video.

Lady Gaga is on a roll and I don't see anything stopping her anytime soon.

vCash
    I definitely believe Gaga is just trying to uphold an image. Although being over-the-top gets people talking and whatnot, ultimately I don't think it's about the shock value anymore. It's what people expect. The moment you see her in a video wearing jeans and a halter top is when her image is over. It works and carries its intrigue because it makes her look something other than human--which is kind of her literal character here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast