Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    My general thoughts: I wish this whole edge-craze would go away. Between the skater with the proper edges and the skater without, I prefer.... the better skater which has nothing to do with either. Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Irina Slutskaya, Sarah Hughes, Nicole Bobek, Tara Lipinski --- I love them all and don't really care what edge they're on. It's also mostly just habit and not anything innately more difficult -- e.g. if you asked Mike Weiss to take off an inside edge on his lutz, he wouldn't think it's easier, he'd think it's harder, just like MK would have a harder time of the opposite.

Anyway, please wake me in 20 years when people no longer care about the edges.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Screenie View Post
    My general thoughts: I wish this whole edge-craze would go away. Between the skater with the proper edges and the skater without, I prefer.... the better skater which has nothing to do with either. Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Irina Slutskaya, Sarah Hughes, Nicole Bobek, Tara Lipinski --- I love them all and don't really care what edge they're on. It's also mostly just habit and not anything innately more difficult -- e.g. if you asked Mike Weiss to take off an inside edge on his lutz, he wouldn't think it's easier, he'd think it's harder, just like MK would have a harder time of the opposite.

Anyway, please wake me in 20 years when people no longer care about the edges.
    Bravo. I think that the edge call is another way for judges to pigeon-hole skaters whom they don't want to reach the upper echelons, like boosting the artistic mark. For skaters like Mirai who have a reputation now as a "!" mark skater, she will be looked at with much more scrutiny than others, whether she deserves it or not. I agree with the person that said a "true triple lutz" is nearly impossible to do. Most skaters WITH correct edge calls look like they're doing it incorrectly. It's too wishy washy of an area to hold so much importance with scoring. If it's that darn important, then there need to be ice-level cameras in all four corners of the arena.

vCash
    Well, I actually think that take off edges are important...I mean why should someone like Rochette and Ando who worked to fix their edges receive the same values as notorious flutzeres such as Asada and Murakami? These jumps were invented years ago, and I believe credit should be given to those who perform them correctly.

And there are plenty of skaters who can do a very good "true lutz" and always have..Kim, Kostner, Czisny, Slutskaya, Sokolova**, Lepisto, Phaneuf, Sebestyen, Tuktamysheva, Meier...all of these women and many more can perform correct lutzes.
    Last edited by Jenna; 02-14-2011 at 02:52 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Well, I actually think that take off edges are important...I mean why should someone like Rochette and Ando who worked to fix their edges receive the same values as notorious flutzeres such as Asada and Murakami? These jumps were invented years ago, and I believe credit should be given to those who perform them correctly.

And there are plenty of skaters who can do a very good "true lutz" and always have..Kim, Kostner, Czisny, Sotnikova, Lepisto, Phaneuf, Sebestyen, Tuktamysheva, Meier...all of these women and many more can perform correct lutzes.
    ITA

vCash

And there are plenty of skaters who can do a very good "true lutz" and always have..Kim, Kostner, Czisny, Sotnikova, Lepisto, Phaneuf, Sebestyen, Tuktamysheva, Meier...all of these women and many more can perform correct lutzes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    OOPS! I meant to say Sokolova!!!

vCash

Kerrigan

Great lutz entry

vCash
    OOPS! I meant to say Sokolova!!!
    Ah!

How many of those ladies have a true flip, though?

In terms of doing both (triple) flip and lutz jumps correctly, I can only think of a few ladies:
    Harding
    Rochette
    Flatt
    Butyrskaya
    E. Hughes
    Ando, but she has now dumped the flip

Sometimes did both jumps correctly: Slutskaya, Kwan, Ito, Kim, others?

vCash
    I think Korpi has correct edges on both...when she actually rotates them! Kostner, V. Helgesson, McCorkell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Ah!

How many of those ladies have a true flip, though?

In terms of doing both (triple) flip and lutz jumps correctly, I can only think of a few ladies:
    Harding
    Rochette
    Flatt
    Butyrskaya
    E. Hughes
    Ando, but she has now dumped the flip

Sometimes did both jumps correctly: Slutskaya, Kwan, Ito, Kim, others?
    Even Slutskaya, Kwan, and Ito had slight flutzes. And even from the ones you mention, some of them had to work on fixing the edge (ie Ando and Flatt).

Also adding to the list, Lu Chen and in most cases, Surya Bonaly.

vCash
    Ira Vannut, Mae Berenice Meite from the Euros protocols.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Even Slutskaya, Kwan, and Ito had slight flutzes. And even from the ones you mention, some of them had to work on fixing the edge (ie Ando and Flatt).

Also adding to the list, Lu Chen and in most cases, Surya Bonaly.
    Chen had a slight lip and Surya's lip was especially obvious.

My point about Kwan, Ito, Slutskaya was that they occasionally could do a real lutz, but most of the time rolled onto a flat or inside.

vCash
    My understanding (I forget if I read this or was told this by an Eastern bloc coach): a number of US coaches proposed to the ISU that the flip and the Lutz be considered the same jump. This was only a proposal/suggestion, not something anyone was insisting on absolutely, but such an idea blends with the "who cares what edge" argument of someone like Jenna. Leafygreens represents the opposing argument. What do we do?

vCash
    I think Korpi has correct edges on both...when she actually rotates them! Kostner, V. Helgesson, McCorkell
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiCRE9JR-Lo
    1:35 Looks like a slight lip to me, not a great angle though.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WayCon View Post
    My understanding (I forget if I read this or was told this by an Eastern bloc coach): a number of US coaches proposed to the ISU that the flip and the Lutz be considered the same jump. This was only a proposal/suggestion, not something anyone was insisting on absolutely, but such an idea blends with the "who cares what edge" argument of someone like Jenna. Leafygreens represents the opposing argument. What do we do?
    That's actually not a bad idea.

vCash
    I think that's a TERRIBLE idea. The lutz and flip are distinct jumps. They are difficult, and those who can do both correctly should be rewarded, because it is difficult. The rulesd shouldn't bow down to the lowest common denominator and reward technique flaws.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I think that's a TERRIBLE idea. The lutz and flip are distinct jumps. They are difficult, and those who can do both correctly should be rewarded, because it is difficult. The rulesd shouldn't bow down to the lowest common denominator and reward technique flaws.
    Absolutely agree!

vCash
    yes yes yes! Change the course of skating to relieve those who are incapable of performing a jump correctly? Bad idea.

vCash
    I agree that they are distinct jumps, but when the ability to detect the jumps itself is flawed, then what is the point of there being a rule?

vCash

And there are plenty of skaters who can do a very good "true lutz" and always have..Kim, Kostner, Czisny, Slutskaya, Sokolova**, Lepisto, Phaneuf, Sebestyen, Tuktamysheva, Meier...all of these women and many more can perform correct lutzes.
    Czisny, Sokolova, Sebestyen, & Meier are all notorious lippers, so mentioning them after emphasizing the importance of correct edges is a little silly.

Slutskaya, Kwan, Kim, Ito, Yamaguchi, Chen, Bonaly, Nagasu etc.. are debatable enough when it comes to lutz and flip that I say give them the benefit of the doubt, because if there is THIS much argument over if they do or don't, it's not really worth it, IMO.

The list of female skaters who can do real lutz and flip over the years is short... as Triple Butz has shown.

I agree with those who say that the edge for these jumps is too big a deal to fans. I do think there should be a deduction, but not so big that it keeps the best OVERALL skater from winning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast