Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    I just bought an e reader.. not really using it yet as still figuring it out But one thing I still need my paperbacks for is my favourite relaxation - having a nice hot, deep bath and reading my book and I don't think I'll do that with the e reader But as I travel a lot an e reader seemed more practical than taking a bunch of books.. but there will always be a place for my paperbacks camping.. and taking a bath
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    I don't have one as of yet, but are there any real studies out there which confirm that it is not harmful on the eyes, especially those of the children, to read into the light on the screen without a lamp on? It seems we hear of adults complaining of eyestrain from using a computer on and off throughout the day so to me this is another concern.

having a nice day
    vCash
    The books I have now do not require electricity to use. That's big advantage to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by prancer

Quote:Originally Posted by pat c
    But not every book in the world will be available to read on an e-reader.

Because....?
    Bandwidth. Big debate in Canada right now over internet bandwidth charges etc. And it is a valid concern.

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme
    The books I have now do not require electricity to use. That's big advantage to me.
    It's something to consider.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyskate View Post
    I don't have one as of yet, but are there any real studies out there which confirm that it is not harmful on the eyes, especially those of the children, to read into the light on the screen without a lamp on? It seems we hear of adults complaining of eyestrain from using a computer on and off throughout the day so to me this is another concern.
    No studies, but here are what some doctors say on the issue: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...se-eye-strain/

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    Do you often go for days without electricity?

Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    Bandwidth. Big debate in Canada right now over internet bandwidth charges etc. And it is a valid concern,
    In terms of accessibility or expense? I can see added expense being an issue, but not availability of source material. And if the figures cited here are true, it shouldn't add a whole lot, unless you are being gouged. That does appear to be the plan, however.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Expense. So, if you're being limited as to bandwidth, ebooks are not the way to go. We had a satellite dish that used Hughes Net. I have zero use for satellite internet companies. Zero. They cap bandwidth, except they call it fair access policy, and shorten it to fap. I think they have a couple of the letters all wrong. The f is right tho.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1901442/

and the crtc:

http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-77.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2011/...t-clement.html

vCash
    God, I certainly hope books don't become obsolete, although I highly doubt that will happen.

I may have, erm, gotten into several (very) heated arguments about my disdain for e-readers . I love the feel and smell of books, plus the physical sensation of turning pages. It's part of the whole experience. My perception of the story the book contains has to match its physical characteristics. For example, if I'm reading a work of classical literature, I feel like the physical book itself has to measure up to the great story within it. It *must* be hardcover, with good quality paper, beautiful print, and an elegant and fitting cover. If it's a piece of trashy chicklit, it has to be paperback with that thin grey-ish paper that makes a lot of noise when you turn the pages. Serious books, like textbooks or political memoirs, have to be heavy and a little intimidating to signify their importance. Something like a collection of O. Henry's short stories or Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat should be small and light, reflective of the fun, light humour they contain. Anything by Edgar Allan Poe should be dark and menacing.

I also like to be able to tell the relationship I have with my books by how tattered they are. My Prisoner of Azkaban started to completely fall apart when 10-year old me decided to re-read it about 50 times before the fourth Harry Potter came out. I eventually had to buy a new copy a few years ago, but I refused to throw out the old one because I felt that how worn out it was a direct correlation of how much love I put into it. But that was a book I took everywhere, from the beach, to the rink, to under my covers at 3 am when I should have been asleep. There are certain books in my collection that I feel too much respect for to drag around with me, ones that I only use bookmarks for because dog ear-ing them seems inappropriate. Then, there are the books I never finished reading that still have that new book stiffness to them. Those are often the ones that were given to me as a present, or assigned as reading in middle/high school .

I could never use an e-reader. It's so plastic and cold, it's like stripping the books of their soul. I've tried, and it just isn't the same. My family members who use them have learned not to bring it up . I freely admit that I am a fanatical book lover, and I hardly expect anyone to agree with or even read the crazy ramblings I've expressed above.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    I could never use an e-reader. It's so plastic and cold, it's like stripping the books of their soul. I've tried, and it just isn't the same. My family members who use them have learned not to bring it up . I freely admit that I am a fanatical book lover, and I hardly expect anyone to agree with or even read the crazy ramblings I've expressed above.
    Well... I agree with you. I love my books too. And your reference to digital media as being "cold" is not the first time I've heard that. One of my friends is a musician with 10 albums to his credit and a band in its 31 year of existance, and he said in a recent interview that digital music is cold and sterile, whereas analog (LPs and tapes) is a "warm" format. Which is true - digital doesn't reproduce the full spectrum of sound they way analog can, nor does digital vs. film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post

That's an interesting question. I went to a seminar on e-books and the leader of the seminar said that he expects e-book prices to go down as they become more common; it is the nature of the market for prices to drop as something becomes more common.

However, I just read an article by a publishing consultant who said that he expects the prices to go up as e-books become more available and the devices more common, because of what e-books will do to the publishing industry as a whole.
    I imagine that the publishing industry will follow a trajectory similar to that of music industry. With books being available in a digital format piracy is inevitable; I could easily purchase an eReader and download all of its content, illegally, from a torrent website.

Of course, bookstores may remain more common than your local record/CD shop. I think many utilize bookstores as a reference resource and apparently the internet hasn't shutdown the library system (yet).

Plus, all of the latte sipping hipsters will need somewhere to congregate when they get the urge publicly freshen the ink on their blogs or monitor the status of their farms on Facebook.
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I wont be buying ebooks until the prices go down. I have yet to figure out why the cost is so high when it is in digital format. Too much for me to pay, if I am going to spend that much then I want a physical copy to put on a shelf.

This is the same for movies on iTunes and such. Why am I paying $4.99 to rent a new movie on iTunes??? It probably costs them $ .10 to send that movie over the internet. Are licensing fees that expensive?
    You and my so. I think they'll charge what they can. Records for instance are on a bit of a comeback. I was in a bookstore a couple of days ago and they had vinyl for sale.

I d/l music, not as much as I used to, but I do belong to a site that I can get the whole album for say $1.00. If I belong to itunes, which I do, I pay $1 a song.

I think that might be what happens with digital books as well, NA will pay $10 for a new release, and somewhere else in the world will pay maybe $2.

I'm not adverse to ebooks, I think they are a great thing in so many ways, but I haven't taken the time to find out the answers for some of the questions that I have and might not be an answer for.

vCash
    My all-time favorite book is the edition of Jane Eyre with the Fritz Eichenberg woodcuts. Before I was old enough to read the book I used to look at the pictures and imagine the story. Computer graphics just aren't the same as handcrafted artwork.

For the past couple of years I used to exchange books with a co-worker. Some of the ones we were excited about got passed around the whole office. This year a friend gave her an e reader. She won't be able to share her books anymore.

When I go into someone's home I like to look at their collection of books. It tells me more about them.

On a practical note, if I bought an e reader I would never be able to find it when I wanted it. (I have books stashed everywhere).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Do you often go for days without electricity?
    Actually yes. With the storms we had last summer, I have been without power for a couple days at a time. And overnight through morning a couple weeks ago.

Didn't you have a similar situation recently?

In the summer I was able to spend a whole afternoon reading by daylight and finished a book I'd been getting through very slowly with all the electronic entertainment/time-wasting options that usually distracted me.

Portable electronic devices can also be valuable in power outages if they can work on battery power for a few hours, but their use has to be rationed. Better to use nonelectronics during daylight hours where possible.

I now own a Kindle and one of these days I'll figure out how to use it and get some books that may not be available in my local library or bookstore.

I think there is value to both forms of delivery. Some users will undoubtedly prefer one, others the other.

I don't think writing by pen on paper will ever go away completely. It's too useful in everyday life. Some forms of communication are already carried out more electronically than in hard copy and undoubtedly the kinds of communication of which that is true will continue to expand. But I think we always need some access to the skills and resources of the low-tech versions as backup.

OK, back to work, marking up a printout of the manuscript I'm editing before I make the changes in the electronic document.

vCash
    Given the scope of the question, it's important to consider more than just the Developed World. Regardless of how ubiquitous e-readers become in the DW, there are still going to be places where books will have a place because they don't the basic essentials of an information society. As long as the world is an unequal place (and that is not going to change anytime soon), there will be books.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    When I go into someone's home I like to look at their collection of books. It tells me more about them.
    Very true. That's one reason I've kept a lot of my books from grad school even though I ended up not working in that field and needing them for continued use.

All the books that already exist, and that are valuable enough to their owners that they don't get pulped, will continue to exist as relics, even if new ones don't get printed.

In another generation or two even most avid readers may tend not to own hard copy printed books. They'll have to display their personalities in other ways.

But there will probably still be antiquarian bibliophiles who collect the darn things as relics.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I wont be buying ebooks until the prices go down. I have yet to figure out why the cost is so high when it is in digital format. Too much for me to pay, if I am going to spend that much then I want a physical copy to put on a shelf.

This is the same for movies on iTunes and such. Why am I paying $4.99 to rent a new movie on iTunes??? It probably costs them $ .10 to send that movie over the internet. Are licensing fees that expensive?
    Because a lot of people are involved in the sale of a book. It's not the paper costs. Authors, editors, publishers all are compensated. Same with movies. It's not the physical entity. It's the intellectual property rights.

My only concern is loss of some new books with the change in technology if a book is published only on some ereader format. This is a big issue in many fields. Remember all that stuff on floppy discs that can no longer be read? A hard copy isn't going to be obsolete with technical changes. Ebooks have not dominated the market as was predicted several years ago, but that doesn't mean they were just slower. I'm certain I'll get an ereader when the time comes.
    Last edited by rfisher; 02-10-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    Reading the different threads on eReaders as well as some other stuff online, what do you think the future of books will be?
    I can see a world without books, but maybe not in the near future (definitely not in 5 years ). And maybe not until those who are raised reading books are gone. The new generation though, raised reading e-books will not miss books. IOW, it's only a matter of time , and I don't even have an e-book reader or read e-books

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't think books will become obsolete. You cannot duplicate those "Coffee Table" pictures books, for example, with eReaders ...unless in the future the entire surface of your coffee table is an HD screen that allow you to look coffee table books while you sit.
    Maybe by then, HD screens the size of coffee tables would be dirt-cheap. Or maybe the e-book readers will project the content of the books into a 3D hologram.

vCash
    I would hate to live in a world without books. Like others I LOVE flipping old worn pages, even the smell of books (as long as it's not a raunchy smell, that is) appeal to me. That said I can understand if regular "beach reading books" types turn into digital to save earth's natural resources.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    I can see a world without books, but maybe not in the near future (definitely not in 5 years ). And maybe not until those who are raised reading books are gone. The new generation though, raised reading e-books will not miss books. IOW, it's only a matter of time
    Except that if you use vinyl as an analog - and it kind of is, kids raised on iPods, still want vinyl. It's having a bit of a resurgence.

I've heard that page numbers are being added to ebooks because people don't like not having them. The not knowing where you are, or how much you have left in your "book", is an issue.

Until one can: 1) Use an ereader in the bathtub or other places without worrying about damaging it 2) Sit on it or drop it with no damage 3) Afford to replace it if it gets left somewhere or worry about it being stolen re same 4) Take it to no electricity land - there will be a place for physical books.

Much of what is currently in a physical format, will not become an ebook either. It is too cost prohibitive. Best sellers are one thing, the say - Russian History section at the University library won't.

And what are the textual studies folks going to do? I wonder about that.

vCash
    It will be interesting to see how e books evolve. We already have interactive video with Wii. What if you could go to the ball at Netherfield or follow the white rabbit down the rabbit hole, or even interact with some of the characters? Movies in one sense are an electronic version of books, in another sense they are a throwback to the oral traditon of telling and acting out a story.

I don't drop old technology as soon as new comes out. I bought a tiny flash drive Mp3 player to listen to my program music while I skate (I can play it as many times as I want and no one else has to hear it), but I still have records, tapes, CDs, walkman...as a matter of fact I can't find the mp3 player right now so I'm glad I have all of that! I use the walkman during power outages, easier to change the batteries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't think books will become obsolete. You cannot duplicate those "Coffee Table" pictures books, for example, with eReaders ...unless in the future the entire surface of your coffee table is an HD screen that allow you to look coffee table books while you sit.
    I love those books!

Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    I'm not sure that I want to live in a world that doesn't have books. Libraries with shelves filled to the brim with wonderful books. The feel of the pages as you turn them. Using a favorite bookmarker. The faint, musty smell of a vintage book.

Some of the best friends I have ever had have been books. I enjoy looking at my bookcase and seeing them all there - somehow, it's very comforting...
    I agree!

On a more personal note...with all the e-readers and such, are we all going to go blind at some point? I'm not yet 38 and I find myself either pulling my head way back to see something in small letters or putting it two inches from my eyeball...is it time for granny glasses already?

PS - I pray they never get rid of movie film, I love digital films too but there is something special about big screen movies on actual film!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast