Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Jason Brown !!!
    Jason Brown is just starting his Senior career and is still a young kid. Why do you already believe that he will never win "important" medals?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    They are not the same thing, I'm a fan no matter what but once my favorite skater retires after 5 or 7 years or even 10, I have to move on to a new skater. Unlike other sports where a team can last by recruiting players. They NY Yankees aren't going to retire as a team just the players.
    Even if you like other skaters once another retires, it doesn't mean you stop liking the skater. I still love MK even though she is no longer competing. Plus, I think my point still applies. When we like a team, we like them when they're having wonderful seasons and when things aren't going well. We like them not because of their results because of the team itself. I will always love the Phillies whether they over or under 500. The same with a skater like Jeremy. I will always love him whether he wins a World title or never manages to break the top 10 at Worlds again.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Ryan Bradley probably won't compete next season or win any 'worthy' titles, but I don't give a shit. I love his skating so much and the fact he is sharing it with fans is good enough for me. I never begged him via FB or twitter to come back, I respect his decisions and if he was done as of last year, that was good enough for me. However, I am not complaining that he came back because it was all worth it .

Watching Ryan skate, for me, is a medal within itself.

I have to agree on Cassar, he's so enticing.

vCash
    It depends which medals you deem as important medals. However atleast in the following years I would say:

Ashley Wagner
    Caroline Zhang
    Akiko Suzuki
    Kevin Reynolds
    Denney & Barrett

vCash
    Jonathan Cassar is at the top of my list. I also enjoy Adrian Schulteiss very much. Ditto for Gretchen Donlan and Andrew Speroff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    On top of my head, Sawyer and Cassar. I'd love to be proven wrong.
    He did win the silver medal at Skate America in 2009 (Sawyer, I mean). I think that is kind of important, even if it's not a worlds or Olympic medal.

vCash
    Shawn Sawyer and Akiko Suzuki both have a decent shot of winning an ISU championship medal at this year's 4CC. Plus, if Miki Ando does decide to follow through with her plan to take next year off, Akiko should be able to make the Worlds team again.

Gretchen Donlan and Andrew Speroff are both young enough to try out for 2018, in case things don't work out for Sochi. "All" they really need are SBS triple jumps and if Gretchen manages to stay injury free, that could happen next season. I've seen her land 3sals before in practice, but that was before she got injured this year.

vCash
    The question is somewhat relative. I interpreted it along the lines of "anybody who is not a World Champion or a World medalist", but of course it could be understood differently.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    Even if you like other skaters once another retires, it doesn't mean you stop liking the skater. I still love MK even though she is no longer competing. Plus, I think my point still applies. When we like a team, we like them when they're having wonderful seasons and when things aren't going well. We like them not because of their results because of the team itself. I will always love the Phillies whether they over or under 500. The same with a skater like Jeremy. I will always love him whether he wins a World title or never manages to break the top 10 at Worlds again.
    Love Jeremy and Michelle all you want but after they retire and you can't watch them in competitions anymore you will need to find new skaters to get excited about or you won't be a fan of the sport for very long. I'm also not saying to hate on your favorite skater while they are having a rough time or aren't winning medals.

vCash
    I was surprised to hear E/L won their first grand prix meadal this season after 6 seasons.

vCash
    I think the beauty of this sport is that you never really know. For instance, Shen/Zhao came in 21st at their first World Championships, who would have ever thought back then that they would someday be three time olympic medalists, eventually winning gold and three time world champions.

Another example for me is after 2008 Canadian Nationals when Jeffrey Buttle lost his title to Patrick Chan. I thought for sure that Buttle's career was coming to end in the sense that he would no longer win any major titles. Two months later, he was world champion.

Truth is, although we see some things coming from a mile away, there are always surprises. For me, that just makes this sport more interesting.

vCash
    Thank goodness to hot mess euro ladies' event, we get to watch moments like Sarah Meier and Julia Sebestyen magically win ISU championships.
    Last edited by RumbleFish; 02-10-2011 at 07:36 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Jason Brown is just starting his Senior career and is still a young kid. Why do you already believe that he will never win "important" medals?
    Well, that's just my opinion. I've been impressed by Jason's skating at Nationals, but he reminds me of Shawn Sawyer. I'm afraid he doesn't have the potential to improve his power to do the hardest jumps (triple Axel or Quad).
    But of course, I hope he will improve and win medals !

vCash
    Paul Wylie once would have qualified for this list, until he had the skate of his life. After the Olys, he only improved.

How can you judge performances not yet given?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Lipnitskaya of Russia
    You mean Julia? Why do you think like that? She's still very young, it's hard (or even impossible) to predict how she will skate in few yeas at her senior debut.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Love Jeremy and Michelle all you want but after they retire and you can't watch them in competitions anymore you will need to find new skaters to get excited about or you won't be a fan of the sport for very long. I'm also not saying to hate on your favorite skater while they are having a rough time or aren't winning medals.
    I never said that you wouldn't like other skaters after other skaters retire. I obviously found other ladies skaters to like after MK retired (look at my user title). This has nothing to do with my point though. I'm not sure why you're bringing it up. Yes, of course, a team can't retire but my analogy was about liking a team in rough times. Applying this analogy to a skater, you would like them in rough times too. So when the Eagles are playing like crap I still root for them. One season they can be great and the next season with most of the same players they can suddenly not make the playoffs. I don't stop liking them unless I'm a fair weather fan who only likes winning teams. When Jeremy falls three times, I don't suddenly stop liking him because again this would make me a fair weather fan. That was my point.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    Paul Wylie once would have qualified for this list, until he had the skate of his life. After the Olys, he only improved.

How can you judge performances not yet given?
    Paul always had the potential to win a medal at the World level. Everyone who knew the sport realized that. Whether he would ever put it together was a bigger question. Some skaters just dont have the potential ability wise even at their best, and have been around long enough that it is apparent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Shawn Sawyer and Akiko Suzuki both have a decent shot of winning an ISU championship medal at this year's 4CC.
    Well I dont really consider 4CC's a major medal but to each their own on that. Anyway Suzuki has already medalled at 4CCs last year. Looking at the fields neither Sawyer or Suzuki seem likely to medal at 4CCs this year but both have an outside shot to I guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Some skaters just dont have the potential ability wise even at their best, and have been around long enough that it is apparent.
    And there's nothing wrong with that.

If they enjoy competing, whom does it harm? It's their time and their body.

It may not be their money. If so, whoever's funding them is free to pull the plug.

I just hate when fans or journalists tell them to give it up.

Especially if other fans are happily enjoying their skating.

For the skaters who are better at performing than competing, I wish there were more of a noncompetitive circuit . . . with television coverage . . . where fans could enjoy those skaters, and maybe the skaters could even earn some money.

But those opportunities tend to be fewer than competition opportunities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    And there's nothing wrong with that.

If they enjoy competing, whom does it harm? It's their time and their body..........................
    I am not the one who started this thread so spare me the ad nauseam. I am simply pointing out how skaters who always had obvious potential to achieve something like Paul Wylie are not barometers for all skaters.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast