Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

vCash
    I love that in interviews at Nats he said that he wanted to make the audience feel something. He has done that over and over again. Amazing skater who will be greatly missed.

Love this photo from Sarah and Drew's twitter:

https://twitter.com/SarahandDrew/sta...297024/photo/1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I love that in interviews at Nats he said that he wanted to make the audience feel something. He has done that over and over again. Amazing skater who will be greatly missed.

Wow, the angle on that spread eagle is even more incredible-looking in this photo than it is during the live-action broadcast.

I too echo my well wishes to Jonathan! He will be greatly missed at U.S. Nationals, and I sincerely hope that he will be able to do some professional skating and ice shows. He's a natural performer!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    For anyone who would like to send Jonathan a message of appreciation, here's the link to the Contact page of his official site : http://www.figureskatersonline.com/j...ar/contact.htm
    Thank you for the link. I hope he is flooded with emails!!

vCash
    I guess I am another one who is not all that impressed with his presentation. I don't know whether it is the 1970's bell bottom pants that distracted me from the skating or the fact that he is not anywhere near the league of someone like a Jason Brown or Joshua Farris or even Wesley Campbell..In fact, when I rewatch the mens LP, he is one of those performances that I fast forward through....zzzzzzzzzz. Are people just saying he is so great because Sandra and Scott and telling them how fabulous he is?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i'm so sad, he's been my highlight of the season for such a long time

if i win the lottery i might ask him to skate for me every day. fingers crossed.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    I guess I am another one who is not all that impressed with his presentation. I don't know whether it is the 1970's bell bottom pants that distracted me from the skating or the fact that he is not anywhere near the league of someone like a Jason Brown or Joshua Farris or even Wesley Campbell..In fact, when I rewatch the mens LP, he is one of those performances that I fast forward through....zzzzzzzzzz. Are people just saying he is so great because Sandra and Scott and telling them how fabulous he is?

I'm a big Cassar fan, and I don't think this year's FS was his best program. Go watch his SP from this year, or his "Schindler's List" FS from 2011 (?). Those programs give me goosebumps.

He's a wonderful skater, even if he was never a great jumper, definitely a "skater's skater". I wish him luck in whatever he decides to do next.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    I'm a big Cassar fan, and I don't think this year's FS was his best program. Go watch his SP from this year, or his "Schindler's List" FS from 2011 (?). Those programs give me goosebumps.

He's a wonderful skater, even if he was never a great jumper, definitely a "skater's skater". I wish him luck in whatever he decides to do next.
    ....still don't see it - besides the spread eagle which lasts a few seconds, I don't see the edge quality, quality of spins or jumps....I really think it has more to do with music selection than anything else.. The music of Schindler's List brings out emotions just because of what the movie was all about and Bring him home is such a beautiful piece of music, it wouldn't matter if even Max Aaron was skating to it....

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    if you think anyone here is swayed by anything scott and sandra say, you really arent paying attention
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I noticed Jonathan at 2009 Nationals. I think he skated to "We Insist" by Zoe Keating in his SP and "Cinema Paradiso" in the LP. He's a captivating skater even beyond the amazing spread eagles. I have seen many "Schindler's List" programs, but his movement on the ice is very moving and one of my favorite interpretations. I'm a sucker for skaters/teams that are fully committed to their choreography and bring music to life. For me, Jonathan is one of those skaters.

vCash
    LOL I must be in a different universe!

vCash
    Maybe you are...

But I don't think everyone has to like the same skaters. There are plenty of skaters that are extremely popular that I find meh. And no matter how many times I watch their programs, they just seem boring...

vCash
    Jonathan has announced his retirement from competitive skating in Sarah and Drew's latest blog -- scroll down: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "I kept skating because it's something I loved to do," he said in a long, emotional phone conversation. "I knew my dreams of the Olympics were over, but I could still make an impact on the sport. I have no regrets, and that's how I wanted to leave it. I feel like [my career] had some really special moments."
    Cassar plans to stay in the sport, as a coach and choreographer; he would also like to skate in shows.

"I've started to choreograph quite a bit," he said. "I feel almost more comfortable in these shoes than I do as a skater. The more that I teach, the more programs I've done; I feel really excited every time I do it.

"Sometimes, you know exactly what you're going to do, and I feel like this is what I'll spend the rest of my skating life doing: teaching and choreographing."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Jonathan will be missed in competition.
    However, I'm sure that he will be much "in demand" as a coach/choreographer.
    If only he can channel his passion and artistry into the next generation of skaters.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post

I especially love the grouchy faces in the background
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Bumping up this thread to share this new interview with Jonathan Cassar in which he talks about his skating career, working with Frank Carroll and David Wilson, etc.: http://everythingfigureskating.com/m...nathan-cassar/
    Excerpt:
    EFS: What is your coaching philosophy and what lessons do you want to pass on to your students?

Jonathan: I believe that every skater deserves a place in the sport. Not every skater will be the Olympic Champion, but every skater deserves the opportunity to learn and contribute to this art form and sport.

I would like to pass on what I learned about musical interpretation and choreography. I want to help skaters connect to a piece of music and bring personality to their skating. There’s a process to finding that character within your skating. It takes time to help bring that out in a skater with maturity and attention to details.

EFS: What has figure skating given you?

Jonathan: Passion.

EFS: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

Jonathan: I would love to be here in California choreographing and working with elite skaters, doing what I love.
    Here's his performance from linked from the "An Evening on Ice" benefit show thread in GSD that took place in El Segundo, Calif. this past Saturday afternoon (thanks to TanithandBenFan): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9gQW_CSRdU

Cassar has choreographed Courtney Hicks' "Evita" FS that she likely will debut at the Glacier Falls club competition next weekend: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Earlier this summer, Cassar choreographed a show program for Hicks, to "Hope Will Lead Us On" by BarlowGirl, and she decided to turn to him for her new free program as well.

"I would see him at Alisa Viejo during the week, and he's such a good performer; his choreography is so good," Hicks said. "He knows how to help people express the music and do the movements the best they can."

"The first thing I thought of is, she's no longer a young kid, so how can we help her become a young lady on the ice?" Cassar said. "She's a brilliant performer. I wanted to give her a program where she could find a character, to better her skills as an interpreter. I wanted her to feel something, and I wanted the audience to feel something, too."

Cassar stepped away from competition after the 2013 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, and he is now focused on choreography.

He spoke of Hicks with enthusiasm.

"She's got this incredible power on the ice," he said. "I thought she could draw on that and use it to her advantage. I tried to use some of the jumps as choreographic elements. She is such a strong jumper; she just gives you the chills. I think she's going to do a wonderful job."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-24-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: To add GSD thread link
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234