Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Thanks for posting the article and the videos - I loved watching Jonathan's LP again.

It was touching to read how Joe Inman reacted to Schindler's List - I thought I was the only one who was choked up.

I hope Jonathan gets his Triple Axel - I'm sure that will be a career high point for him and it would be great for him to medal and get more exposure to the general public - not just us diehards who watch live streams and YouTube videos.

I look forward to seeing him in Ice Theatre type shows in the future - a show that celebrates the marriage of dance and skating would be a great fit for him.

vCash
    Weird question: Anyone know how far back his Maltese heritage goes? (Curiosity stems from the fact that I spent a summer in Malta 20 years ago and LOVED it. LOVED it.)

vCash
    Great article.
    Once again I think Inman has excellent artistic understanding; wish there were more judges with his background and passion for expression ( that sounds a bit funny... but that's what it is)
    Of course I hope that Jonathan gets 3A and 3+3; but even if he does not, it's great that he is continuing. He already has a great reputation, and it will only build from here if he keeps that level of sophistication in his programs. That would help him in the future if he considers choreographing, doing shows etc.
    improving my ballad- like lines

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Jo-Ann Barnas' article on Jonathan Cassar in today's Detroit Free Press! http://www.freep.com/article/2011022...-skating-world
    He really does look like a young Trent Reznor.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Jo-Ann Barnas' article on Jonathan Cassar in today's Detroit Free Press! http://www.freep.com/article/2011022...-skating-world

Thanks for the article link, Sylvia!

vCash
    Jonathan and Frank seem to have a good rapport. The potential he sees in Jonathan may be more on a professional level (choreographer, coach etc...) rather than as a competitor.
    Frank will be an excellent mentor for him regardless of what he decides to do professionally.
    Last edited by OrioleBeagle; 02-25-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Of course I hope that Jonathan gets 3A and 3+3; but even if he does not, it's great that he is continuing.
    Even if he doesn't, his kind of skating would keep me going to Nationals just to see the unseens. But if he could get it, I would love to see him place high enough to get on the GP.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash

"I don't feel I've peaked yet. I feel I can get this jump. After nationals, Frank and I got together and he said, 'With the triple axel, you can get very far -- you can be among the top in the U.S.' "

that's the spirit Jonathan ! He's a young 24 and has a whole Olympic cycle to master that darn jump and add more power.

vCash
    Bumping up this thread post-2013 Nationals to re-post the following from the U.S. Men's thread in GSD:

Jonathan Cassar ‏@Jonnaye05 tweeted yesterday:
    https://twitter.com/Jonnaye05/status/297205243064750080
    Omaha was a great trip. No better way to spend my 10th Championships, my #swansong. Thank you to all those who have shared in this journey.
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    Is Jonathan leaving the competitions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Sounds like it. What a pity.
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    NOOOO!!!
    Just read the tweet.
    Wonder what Jonathan chooses to do next. Dancing, choreo, smth. completely different?
    I'll really miss him. One of the joys of last years was to see what programs Cassar came up with. He has such exquisite detail and line. If he stops skating in public, it'll be sad news for me.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-01-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I hope he skates professionally - would be a shame not to see him perform again. He is a pure skater - who loves the art and sport and it shows in every program he skates.

vCash
    I remember seeing him skate Schindler's List at the 2011 Nationals practice session. A hush fell in the rink during his run through, and I was not the only one with tears in my eyes. If he leaves, the loss to US men's skating is larger than you think. I feel extremely privileged to have seen him skating live, for it is spellbinding like no one else can do.

vCash
    My first experience with Jonathan was taking a workshop on transitions from him. I had never heard of him. I went home and realized I learned transitions from the right guy!

Oh, he did the spread eagles for us- WOW.

vCash
    For anyone who would like to send Jonathan a message of appreciation, here's the link to the Contact page of his official site : http://www.figureskatersonline.com/j...ar/contact.htm
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    aw, I'm sorry he's hanging up his skates, but for making the NBC broadcast and being so !

CASSAR!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    NBC showed Jonathan's LP. The spread eagles drew OOOh's and AAAAh's from the audience.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laire View Post
    I love Jonathan! It's a pleasure to watch him! And it's not all about spread eagles, he has so muxh more. Well, except the jumps (which is a pity, he could be a great contender).
    I hope he knows what to do and won't disappear.
    Ummmmmmm, I seem to remember an ex oly gold dude who did about two minutes of boring spread eagles for
    'artistry' and frankly OlyGoldBoi's spread eages can't even hold a candle to this young man. You have to see them live I guess to believe them, they are rather Ilia Klimkin in impossibility.

Love the thread, and if you are the best in the world at something I think you should be recognized. Watch the videos. He is probably the best I've seen.

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia for the contact info. I will miss him SO much! Such an elegant skater!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Oh that makes me sad. I'd hoped to see him live one more time next year.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Title-less
    vCash
    Cassar is 26, and has pretty much achieved the stuff he can achieve, minus getting a 3A and competing internationally. I'm glad he gets to have these lasting memories of nationals, whatever he decides to do next. It must feel good to leave the competitive side of sports knowing you've done well at your last nationals.

vCash
    Joining the many who will miss Jonathan's very special gift on the ice.
    We were most fortunate to see this "skating artist" at work for so many years.
    Whatever his future holds, he deserves the best.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast