Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    .....but what Jonathan does is so gorgeously deliberate, I couldn't care less about what he does not do.
    Actually, one movement that took my breath away was not the spread eagle, which I expected to be amazing ( and it was), but the way Jonathan slowed down on his Camel Spin before changing into donut spin. Everybody slows down, of course, happens naturally. But he slowed down with music, and as he slowed down arched his back more and slowly opened his arms. It was completely deliberate, not " I've done my revolutions" , and a thing of beauty.
    Champion or not, I'd pay to see him live in the future.
    I would too.
    That was awesome...
    On another thread someone complained about the "lack of individuality between skaters nowadays" (or words to that effect).
    I wonder if they have seen Jonathan's SL and could still say that.

Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Has he not been offered the opportunity to do shows? Without a 3A and a triple-triple jump at his age, I don't see him really being competitive. However, he's wonderful to just watch skating and could have a nice career in shows that let him emphasize his good qualities. I hope it works for him.
    Is there any chance that Jonathan would/could eventually transition to ID?
    ... or is it like his missing 3A, probably too late? Or maybe he's not interested.

-
    Last edited by geod2; 02-09-2011 at 11:54 PM.

vCash
    I love that Jonathan is a dancer, and it is VERY refreshing to see someone actually do their choreography... in dance we said someone dancing with no feeling in their movement or not feeling the music was just 'going through the moves', Jonathan does not do that.

And the spread eagle is amazing. When he did the show at the galleria in 2009, it was a gorgeous program and everyone watching was totally into it.

Jon @ the Galleria, Practice
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwVSZeNVGbA

Jon @ the Galleria, Show
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6szbB3bBg3E

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    I love that Jonathan is a dancer, and it is VERY refreshing to see someone actually do their choreography... in dance we said someone dancing with no feeling in their movement or not feeling the music was just 'going through the moves', Jonathan does not do that.

And the spread eagle is amazing. When he did the show at the galleria in 2009, it was a gorgeous program and everyone watching was totally into it.

Jon @ the Galleria, Practice
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwVSZeNVGbA

Jon @ the Galleria, Show
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6szbB3bBg3E
    Thanks for posting those links, he is AMAZING!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    No, he will not be a top American skater, especially without a 3A, but the partial standing O for his free skate from the audience in Greensboro speaks volumes about his ability to blend sport and art.
    I was was definitely one of the ones standing Greensboro! Jonathan's skating is absolutely beautiful to me, whether he has a triple axle or not. Skaters like him are what have always made me love figure skating. I don't think he is ever going to be a top skater in the U.S., but I think he could have an amazing career as a choreographer as others have mentioned.

Next year, I would really like to see him go for really different, modern music choices.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Here is one of Sarah and Drew's blogs from icenetwork. There is a section about Jonathan and it even mentions his interest in learning a 3A.

Scroll down to the "Skates on Planes" section.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Jonathan will probably always be one of my favorite skaters no matter how many medals he doesn't win. He's wonderful!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    A agree completely!
    Definitely was one of the highlights of the Men's LP for me at Nationals (along with Brown and the 1-2-3 powerhouse performances of Rippon/ Dornbush/ Mahbanoozadeh). I really wanted to see his " Schindler's List" live and was so happy I did.
    Yes, the jumps and speed are somewhat lacking, but what Jonathan does is so gorgeously deliberate, I couldn't care less about what he does not do.
    Actually, one movement that took my breath away was not the spread eagle, which I expected to be amazing ( and it was), but the way Jonathan slowed down on his Camel Spin before changing into donut spin. Everybody slows down, of course, happens naturally. But he slowed down with music, and as he slowed down arched his back more and slowly opened his arms. It was completely deliberate, not " I've done my revolutions" , and a thing of beauty.
    Here it is, between 4:07 and 4:20
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYcbhaue69U

Champion or not, I'd pay to see him live in the future.
    Thanks for posting that, I had wanted to see his long program. He is I love the way he moves.
    He was funny in the KissnCry. And he managed to make Frank crack a smile too. lol

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Here is one of Sarah and Drew's blogs from icenetwork. There is a section about Jonathan and it even mentions his interest in learning a 3A.

Scroll down to the "Skates on Planes" section.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Well I hope he sticks with it a while to see if he can get that 3A. I'd love to see him skate for a few more seasons regardless of what jumps he lands. I like to see late bloomers!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I had a pleasure to see him at Finlandia Trophy last October. I really enjoyed his skating (and Grant Hochstein's as well!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    IMO, Cassar's skating is more than "a one-trick pony-the spread eagle."

You could have heard a pin drop in the arena during his "Schindler's List" free skate.

When I first saw him skate years ago, I was just happy he made it to Nationals as a "late-bloomer" junior in 2006.
    I agree he's more than a OTP - Cassar was a standout for me in that 2006 Junior mens field as well - back when I didn't even really know what I was looking at or looking for. Like Genevieve, i was treated to a breathtaking practice from him at 2009 Nats and well, at 2011 Nats too - we were headed to our seats but stopped in mid-aisle to watch & wait 'til he finished. Part of it was the music - there's something almost sacred about SL but the other part was just not wanting to break the spell or disrupt the mood Cassar was creating out on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Also, I think his jumps have improved in his time under Frank Carroll's tutelage; and Jonathan seemed more composed and confident than I've seen him at other competitions.
    I've decided that watching Frank with his students during practices is one of the most endearing and entertaining things about competitions. I love how he physically positions his student (i jokingly refer to it as "Frank's laying on of hands" ) in that straight body, arms out jump landing position over and over again. I think I spied video clips of Maribel doing the same with students in some of the RISE1961 film we saw over the week.

Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I agree that he has improved under Frank. Plus, the Jonathan and Frank show in KnC is worth the price of admission right there!
    We had the view from directly above the K&C....it was icing on the cake!

vCash

Last performance?

while in the Kiss and Cry he said that to Frank. Did he mean his last performance at the 2011 Nationals? Or is he giving up the ghost on skating?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    ....Or is he giving up the ghost on skating?
    What does that phrase mean, in the way you're using it?
    If you saw/heard something that suggests he is quitting skating, then tell us plainly what is was...what am I missing?

Awaiting Validation
    vCash

while in the Kiss and Cry he said that to Frank. Did he mean his last performance at the 2011 Nationals? Or is he giving up the ghost on skating?
    Thanks for that link. I couldn't hear all the converation in the KnC but I did enjoy seeing again how perfectly gracious Jonathan is.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash

I thought he meant it was his last performance of his Schindler's List LP, since this is at least his 2nd year using it. I'm glad I was able to see it live before he retires it.

I loved that the audience was able to appreciate him, even though he didn't have clean programs. It's hard to tell from video of the SP but there was a lot of whooping during his midline and I thought the atmosphere in the stadium was electric. And then for the LP, I think everyone understood what he was trying to convey - hence the applauding for his beautifully quiet program.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geod2 View Post
    What does that phrase mean, in the way you're using it?
    "giving up the ghost" is a slang term that really means to die, or stop working, but its use has kind of morphed into "giving up".

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/155500.html
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    "giving up the ghost" is a slang term that really means to die, or stop working, but its use has kind of morphed into "giving up".

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/155500.html

Hmmmmm. I kinda thought so....that it was something like that.

There was a steady stream of beautiful comments, observations, and stories (especially yours) regarding Jonathan's skills, persona, and awesome performances on this thread....it was fun and inspiring to read...

...So I was really taken aback by the sudden "giving up the ghost" comment.
    I didn't perceive even the slightest hint of that as his meaning or intention.
    ...but what do I know??

...anyway, the thread's been fun and my appeciation goes out to all who shared.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    I thought he meant it was his last performance of his Schindler's List LP, since this is at least his 2nd year using it. I'm glad I was able to see it live before he retires it. .
    That is my understanding, as well. Last time for " Schindler's List", so Jonathan says he wanted it to be special, and Frank agrees that it is the last time for the program and continues with " Very moving".
    Looking forward to seeing what programs he chooses for next year.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kati View Post
    I had a pleasure to see him at Finlandia Trophy last October. I really enjoyed his skating (and Grant Hochstein's as well!)
    Speaking of Finlandia Trophy, even Grant was complimentary of Jonathan's "Schindler's List" FS -- here's what he wrote in his blog from the competition back in October 2010:
    Jonathan also skated really well. He skated right after me, so I was able to watch most of his program. First of all, I love Schindler's List, and combined with Jonathan's skating, the program has a captivating quality. I think it is great that both of us were able to skate extremely solid programs and move up in the overall rankings.

vCash
    Jo-Ann Barnas' article on Jonathan Cassar in today's Detroit Free Press! http://www.freep.com/article/2011022...-skating-world

vCash
    If Jonathan could get a consistent 3A he would be among the top three in the US easily. I wish him much success, he is so talented.

vCash
    Thanks for posting that. I really hope he gets those jumps. I finally have a favorite among the men skaters! I haven't had a favorite since like, johnny weir

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast