vCash

Mirror pairs - who knows any?

The Yamaguchi/Galindo thread inspired me to ask this question which has been on my mind for long:
    Are there any successful mirror pairs (pairs with one oartner skating clockwise and one counter-clockwise)? If so, who are they and in which era did they compete? Can you name the clockwise skater?

Yamaguchi/Galindo competed during the late 80s until Kristi decided to go for singles. He was the clockwise skater.
    Torvill/Hutchinson were a mirror pair in the early/mid 70s until Torvill moved on to ice dance. She was the clockwise skater.

I'm sure I've seen more but the names just escape me.
    Any ideas?

vCash
    Tiffany Vise and Derek Trent were mirror pairs. Vise is the CW skater. They competed in the 2000s and were the first to do a throw quad salchow, but otherwise did not get much international success.

ETA: Wikipedia tells me that Jill Watson (counter-clockwise) and Peter Oppegard (clockwise) were also a mirror pair.
    They won an olympic medal in 1988 (bronze), so that seems successful.

vCash
    Thank you, Skittl1321, I've just youtubed them and found their '88 long program:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0QBuh8zBPI

An interesting aspect is that they did the spins counter clockwise, even the individual/side-by-side ones which Oppegard might have skated in his direction. Awesome to watch!

vCash
    Thanks, ShyJosie! I'd never heard of mirror pairs. Interesting.

vCash
    You're welcome, TartanSk8ter - I've been looking for sktaters who are different from the mainstream since I found out that clockwise skaters are rare (which I was told the moment I started roller skating at 13, turning clockwise ).
    I admire mirror pairs for their ability to adjust to one another despite the diffficult moves and the inclination of at least one partner at a time to turn the other way. They have to overcome even more obstacles than a "usual" pair has to, and pairs skating must be utterly demanding.
    Are there any current pairs, btw? I guess with today's rules and competitors, it must have become almost impossible to succeed as a mirror pair.

vCash
    sorry.

vCash
    I think the US had a couple of pairs a few years ago who both jumped and did spins clockwise. Which whilst not mirror is different from usual. Tiffany someone?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I think the US had a couple of pairs a few years ago who both jumped and did spins clockwise. Which whilst not mirror is different from usual. Tiffany someone?
    Tiffany Scott and Philip Dulebohn? (And for one more year she competed with Rusty Fein, also clockwise)

vCash
    Katie Orscher & Garrett Lucash (2005 U.S. National Champions) were also both clockwise skaters:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTXzTdt0I0s

vCash
    Thank you all, this is so interesting!
    Pairs made up by two clockwise skaters are rare, too, because it must be difficult to find a matching partner.
    Most recently I watched a vid of a Canadian (?) pair, whose names escaped me, who are both clockwise skaters, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyjosie View Post
    Most recently I watched a vid of a Canadian (?) pair, whose names escaped me, who are both clockwise skaters, too.
    Paige Lawrence and Rudi Swiegers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Tiffany Scott and Philip Dulebohn? (And for one more year she competed with Rusty Fein, also clockwise)
    That was the one - thanks.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by patinage View Post
    Yes! Thank you, it's a lovely interview.

vCash
    edited, double post...