Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    He certainly is going to have to charge sky high prices to make a go of this, with no subsidization from public skating or hockey. Do any rinks really make that much profit?
    I would think most do well to break even.
    I think the high utility bills are what make most rinks unprofitable. The advantage to learn to skate and public sessions are that they bring in new skaters to the sport and your programs. I don't know what kind of marketing strategy you would use for a rink like this, or how 14 people to a session could pay the bills or support a coaching staff. However, it is hard to believe this hasn't already been pointed out to him, so he must have some plan.

vCash
    Kind of ironic, but he could put solar panels on the roof to help with his energy costs. The arena would probably have a flat - type roof. I'm sure his would be the first of a kind and a great idea IMHO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleys6th View Post
    Kind of ironic, but he could put solar panels on the roof to help with his energy costs. The arena would probably have a flat - type roof. I'm sure his would be the first of a kind and a great idea IMHO.

Good idea, but solar panels are expensive--would add a lot to the start up costs. A solar powered rink would be a first, I think, too.

vCash
    Yes, the expense is what also occurred to me - lots of money to put into someone else's building (Ilia doesn't own the building - he has a lease on it and is renovating for himself). Ilia has taken steps (a specially designed move-able chiller) to ensure that he can move to a larger or different space, as necessary, when the time is right. Maybe down the road somewhere he can design a green rink - that would be an interesting and unique project.
    Last edited by Willowway; 05-23-2011 at 11:32 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    Of the two new rinks, Kulik's Skating is the only one which has plans for "figure skating only" as the other rink was clear in their application that they will have a hockey program. As many folks know, perfect figure skating ice is a little too soft for hockey and so I'm hoping that catering to figure skaters will offer Ilia an edge with that group. In most rinks, the ice is calibrated for hockey and figure skaters put up with it.
    Kwans rink was originally supposed to be "figure skating only", but they learned real fast that hockey and public skating pays the bills. I'm 110% certain the same thing will happen to this new rink. Even Lake Arrowhead has public skating every single day.

vCash
    If you will read my post you will see that I said only mentioned hockey. Ilia hasn't discussed the details of his plans publicly but he will. I think both Ilia and time will tell.

PS I'm not 110% sure of anything much less the success of a business which hasn't opened yet.
    Last edited by Willowway; 07-02-2011 at 01:02 PM.

vCash
    I can't wait to hear more details~ California already had lots of great skaters, but I think this is going to be a magnet for more.

vCash
    California already had lots of great skaters, but I think this is going to be a magnet for more
    You have absolutely captured Ilia's thinking on it - Southern CA as an even stronger center for great training from various rinks and coaches.
    Last edited by Willowway; 08-27-2011 at 07:29 PM.

vCash
    I must be behind. I thought Kulik lived on the east coast? Are they (family) moving to the west coast, or are they already living on the west coast?

vCash
    Ilia, Katia and the girls moved back (they lived there when Liza was born) to southern CA four years ago.

vCash
    Ilia, Katia and the girls moved back (they lived there when Liza was born) to southern CA four years ago.
    I am really behind! I did not know they moved back 4 years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am really behind! I did not know they moved back 4 years ago.
    we see Ilia and Ekatarina at local competitions. Ilia put their daughter on the ice at two competition where I was a judge.
    Morry Stillwell

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    we see Ilia and Ekatarina at local competitions. Ilia put their daughter on the ice at two competition where I was a judge.
    I understand she did quite well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    Kwans rink was originally supposed to be "figure skating only", but they learned real fast that hockey and public skating pays the bills. I'm 110% certain the same thing will happen to this new rink. Even Lake Arrowhead has public skating every single day.
    This is not exactly on subject, but Danny Kwan now has a second rink in Ontario.CA. The 2012 Southwest Regional Championship will be at this rink.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    I understand she did quite well.
    I think I got it right
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    This is not exactly on subject, but Danny Kwan now has a second rink in Ontario.CA. The 2012 Southwest Regional Championship will be at this rink.
    What's the name of the rink? Is it a brand new one or did he take over one of the two existing rinks in Ontario?

I'm curious as I'm a local. I used to skate regularly at Ontario Ice, but have taken the last year off so I'm out of the loop.

ETA: Nevermind. Saw the info for SWP Regionals and deduced that he took over Center Ice. Between Regionals and Skate America, October will be a busy month for local fans!
    Last edited by AnnM; 08-29-2011 at 03:47 AM.

vCash
    Is Daria still skating/competing?

What level is Liza competing at?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Center Ice Arena? In college, I used to skate there and Ontario Ice - both were 2 or 3 miles apart on the same street. It was hilarious.

vCash
    Is Daria still skating/competing?

What level is Liza competing at?
    Daria stopped competing quite a while ago (about 4 years ago) and moved from skating to lacrosse and other sports at her school. She is off to college this year.

Liza is competing at the pre-juvenile level and doing quite well; just came in first (not her first first - she competes very well) in her group at the Hidden Valley Open. As Morry said above, Dad is her coach. Ilia also has some other young skaters at that level.
    Last edited by Willowway; 08-29-2011 at 05:48 PM.

vCash
    Daria stopped competing quite a while ago (about 4 years ago) and moved from skating to lacrosse and other sports at her school. She is off to college this year.
    Daria is college-aged?

Damn I feel so old.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast