Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

vCash
    Immoimeme - I think your analysis of the rinks is spot on.

And yes, I'd assuredly be at the same rink with you.

vCash
    I didn't realize that Kulik was back in the U.S. I thought he and Gordeeva had returned to Russia to live. Good luck with his coaching and rink ventures.

vCash
    He never left. Ilia has lived in the U.S. since before his win in Nagano so he has been here (on one coast or the other) for a little over 15 years. He has been an American citizen since 2003.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    He never left. Ilia has lived in the U.S. since before his win in Nagano so he has been here (on one coast or the other) for a little over 15 years. He has been an American citizen since 2003.
    Plus Daria is graduating from high school here in Orange County in a couple of months.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Gordeeva's time in Russia for one of the skating-with-stars TV shows was widely publicized, but neither she nor Kulik made the move back.

alilou and I were discussing fantasy moves for Nam Nguyen, the Canadian Men's Junior champion (age 12) to get his jump technique in order before he grows, given that he has to move to Seniors (at Canadians) due to his Junior win and has a few years to adjust, and I think it would be great if he could work periodically with Kulik at his new rink to benefit from the great jumping heritage that Kulik brings.

Maybe "Send them to Arutunian" will be replaced by "Send them to Kulik".
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I didn't realize that Kulik was back in the U.S. I thought he and Gordeeva had returned to Russia to live. Good luck with his coaching and rink ventures.
    He has never left Southern California. I see Illia and Ekatarina quit offen here during our terrible winters, (Today 77 degrees F.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    He has never left Southern California. I see Illia and Ekatarina quit offen here during our terrible winters, (Today 77 degrees F.
    Gloating about the weather is never classy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    I don't want to pick out curtains with him or become an uber, lol.
    Why not? I've already chosen some nice lacy ones. There are worse skaters you could uber!

Quote Originally Posted by suki View Post
    Private lessons with Ilia at his rink just moved to the top of my most-wanted fantasy gift list
    You're telling me! I've got hearts in my eyes just thinking about the idea! I love my coach, but Ilia has experience that I couldn't really find anywhere in Australia. And still the best jumps, pro or eligible.

(Bet he wouldn't coach just any skater, tho )

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    Reading the descriptions of the two rinks, it doesn't sound like competition to me: one sounds like a community center, one sounds like a place to really learn about figure skating.

If I was serious about learning figure skating, I know which one I would go to.
    Yeah, the other one definitely sounded pretty much like every other rink I've been to/read about/seen - a rink with hockey as it's major focus and figure skating offered as an additional program. Whereas Ilia's facility is 100% figure skating focused - simply perfect, and got to be one of the very very few in the country. Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up with several "name" skaters training there!

I'm so excited for him and I bet he's even more excited! Hope this goes ahead smoothly now!

vCash
    He certainly is going to have to charge sky high prices to make a go of this, with no subsidization from public skating or hockey. Do any rinks really make that much profit?
    I would think most do well to break even.

vCash
    I think that we may find that Ilia's whole business model is different from that of the rinks we are all used to. It is not a typical rink nor does he want it to be. I know he will be speaking (in interviews, etc.) about what he is envisioning so let's hear it from him and we'll see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    ...with no subsidization from public skating or hockey. Do any rinks really make that much profit?
    Good question. I have the impression that the Ice Castle at Lake Arrowhead is a figure skating only facility--in all the images I saw with Mao, there were no boards which suggests no hockey and no public session. Are they making a go of it there? Anyone know?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WayCon View Post
    Good question. I have the impression that the Ice Castle at Lake Arrowhead is a figure skating only facility--in all the images I saw with Mao, there were no boards which suggests no hockey and no public session. Are they making a go of it there? Anyone know?
    They to have public sessions, on Saturday. We have to hurry to finish test session so the public can start.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    I don't know anything about the finances of the Lake Arrowhead rink but isn't the same person/group of owners building the Palm Springs rink? If L. Arrowhead wasn't doing well or at least breaking even, I doubt the owners would do it all over again.

Anyhow, I know that Ilia has a plan and I'm sure he'll talk about it; he thinks things through very carefully and tends to ask the right people all the right questions. I know he has a very definite vision of Kulik's Skating (that's the name of it) as a 'training environment' (his words) and I'm looking forward to hearing more about how he plans to do things.
    Last edited by Willowway; 02-13-2011 at 07:35 PM.

vCash
    One interesting thing was that Olympic coach John Nicks was on the side opposed to Ilia's school. At the meeting, he said he thought Kulik should drop his plans and join the AV Ice Palace with him. More details here: http://lakeforest-ca.patch.com/artic...ite-objections

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerk View Post
    One interesting thing was that Olympic coach John Nicks was on the side opposed to Ilia's school. At the meeting, he said he thought Kulik should drop his plans and join the AV Ice Palace with him. More details here: http://lakeforest-ca.patch.com/artic...ite-objections

Oh, I see how it is now. AV couldn't lure Ilia to coach there, so they want to stop him from opening his own rink. How mature.

Sorry AV, you're on a losing wicket - you want to keep figure skaters? Provide them with what Ilia will. He's not going to make them compromise for hockey and public skating. He's going to give them what they need. If you can't, too bad.

vCash
    True, but it is a risky business model, to make a go w/o hockey. Let's hope that area doesn't end up with 2 failed ice rinks. That'll just make it harder for other proposed ice rinks to get funding, imo. Banks in my neck of the woods are still very tight w/commercial loans. Not sure if it's the same in CA, but it wouldn't surprise me.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I wish him a great future! He and Katia (with and without Sergei) were my great favourites with their pure and beautiful skating.

vCash
    Any development news on Kulik's new skating school?

Thank you for bumping this thread, Sylvia!

vCash
    Ilia is at work on Kulik's Skating and I hope will have an update for all of us soon.

vCash
    Oooh, the bump had me all excited!

Can't wait to hear more news when it comes out!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast