Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DinDonShamu View Post
    I can't understand the benefit of reporting false ages. Their ladies are not medal contenders in major ISU championships, and the age descrepancies between their pair skaters (assuming they are true) certainly aren't helping them. Look at how Dan Zhang outgrew her partner, and how Wenjing Sui might as well, in a year or two, and how they reap most of their successes from the "oldies." (Now don't tell me Xue Shen is 16 and Qing Pang 15 ... I'd find it hard pressed to buy into that )
    Maybe they thought the ladies would be a bigger deal than they ended up being? I remember a thread on GoldenSkate in January of 2008 hyping Bingwa Geng and saying how'd great she'd do in the future, etc, but she wasn't old enough for junior competitions yet. Surprise, surprise, she showed up Junior Worlds that year a couple of months later.

And...why wait to earn medals later when you can earn them now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by letsskate View Post
    In a way, i feel like the IOC dare not do much to the Chinese, so they just punished the north koreans.. not that the north koreans were innocent.. cause after all, China's becoming quite strong right now..

but seriously?? why it's ALWAYS CHINA?!?! something's gotta be done!
    It's repulsive. Nobody ever punishes China because they're just too big and powerful, and there is too much money at stake. So they look the other way whenever China's involved. I bet you that the ISU will do nothing regarding this (if true). As one of the six countries that hosts the Senior Grand Prix and presumably with a lot of cash to spend, the ISU will pretend like nothing's wrong. If it's some small federation, it's the opposite. Serbia was suspended (and I believe recently readmitted) from ISU membership because it did not fulfill the rules regarding sufficient participation in events or something to that effect.

vCash

Chinese arrogance

This is another display of arrogance from China.
    We are China. we can do whatever we want. Rules are just suggestions for us. And if anyone complains, we just give them money to shut up.

I also blame the Chinese skaters. They know their own age. They know the rules. But they go along with Chinese fed cheating and pretend everything is ok. I guess fame and success is more important to them than honor and fair play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukari Lepisto View Post
    I also blame the Chinese skaters. They know their own age. They know the rules. But they go along with Chinese fed cheating and pretend everything is ok. I guess fame and success is more important to them than honor and fair play.
    Oh, right. A twelve-year-old Chinese girl from a humble background is going to know the ISU's age rules and refuse to go to international competitions (and risk getting sent back home forever).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    I wonder if this explains why China sent its notorious (and illegal) third pairs entry, Yu Xiaoyu and Jin Yang, to Junior Worlds last year, i.e., someone thought that if Sui and Han were ever caught out, Yu and Jin would deemed to be the proper entry. Of course, it shouldn't work that way, but the ISU being the ISU, who knows?
    Ironically, I can't find any info on these two.

Oh, right. A twelve-year-old Chinese girl from a humble background is going to know the ISU's age rules and refuse to go to international competitions (and risk getting sent back home forever).
    Yeah, I don't blame the skaters either. But I do think the Chinese fed needs to be taken down a peg or a twenty.

vCash
    If Chinese fed official tells you they are going to change your birth date, wouldn't you get suspicious?

And please don't give me that poor kid from humble background blah blah.
    These kids, their parents, and the Chinese federation know every nuance of ISU or IOC rules. And with that knowledge, they can manipulate it or flangrantly cheat because they can count on poor saps like you to take pity on their "humble" background.
    And if that don't work, there is always the Chinese Yuan to shut the critics.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Ironically, I can't find any info on these two.
    Found Yu Xiao Yu's bdate 1998/01/02
    Jin Yang 1989/05/16

So they would be too old for junior world last year

If Chinese fed official tells you they are going to change your birth date, wouldn't you get suspicious?

These kids, their parents, and the Chinese federation know every nuance of ISU or IOC rules. And with that knowledge, they can manipulate it or flangrantly cheat because they can count on poor saps like you to take pity on their "humble" background.
    For Pete's sake, even in the US, people don't hold 12 or 13 year olds accountable the way they do adults.

I myself can understand a child's confusion over age issues because my mom never explained the difference between counting by lunar year vs counting by "Sai lek" and my parents also didn't know their own birthdate and made one up for ID purposes.

At this point we only know age discrepancies at the federation level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Found Yu Xiao Yu's bdate 1998/01/02
    Jin Yang 1989/05/16

So they would be too old for junior world last year
    No, Yang would be eligible for JW last year, but can't this year. But she would be too young. In fact, she still is.

Where did you find it? I want to add this to the first post.

ETA: Ok, I found them.
    Last edited by oleada; 02-09-2011 at 02:43 AM.

Title-less
    vCash
    Oh right. I was reading 1988 for some reason. (Long day)
    ETA: I googled their Chinese name and found the spreadsheet with all the bdates.

ETA: Link: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...wmj4SQNN8rX-cQ
    Last edited by jlai; 02-09-2011 at 02:46 AM.

vCash
    If they were going to change her age, why would they make Wenjing Sui miss the cutoff date by 18 days? I guess even China thinks it would be too ridiculous to have a 13 yr old at Sr Worlds.

Title-less
    vCash
    The thing is that except in pairs, China has not really gained from age discrepancies in the other disciplines. Their ladies like Binshu Xu showed great promise but fizzled out. Their most successful ladies were the ones who made it through puberty like Chen Lu or Yan Liu. Time for China to rethink how they train the girls.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    - Geng was too young for 2008 Junior Worlds, and too young for her Cup of China appearance in the 09/10 season.
    Wouldn't she be 14 when she competed if she was born 03.03.1995? If so she could compete at COC.

vCash
    Wouldn't she be 14 when she competed if she was born 03.03.1995? If so she could compete at COC.
    Yeah...you're right. Mistake on my part.

vCash
    Cheating and Chinese sports unfortunately go together like...white on rice?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...08/01/denmark/
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    The thing is that except in pairs, China has not really gained from age discrepancies in the other disciplines. Their ladies like Binshu Xu showed great promise but fizzled out.
    But isn't their goal to get the promising youngsters out internationally as soon as possible, preferably earlier than 13? Binshu XU's ISU bio says she was born July 28, 1988; the Chinese 10/29/2007 Excel document says "Xu Bin Shu 1990/07/29." If the latter birthdate for Xu is the correct one, then she would have been 12 at her first Junior Worlds in 2003.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-09-2011 at 03:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    But isn't their goal to get the promising youngsters out internationally as soon as possible, preferably earlier than 13? Binshu XU's ISU bio says she was born July 28, 1988; the Chinese 10/29/2007 Excel document says "Xu Bin Shu 1990/07/29." If the latter birthdate for Xu is the correct one, then she would have been 12 at her first Junior Worlds in 2003.
    I added this info to the OP.

vCash

Your really think that the "Chinese officials" even tell you anything that they do? I'm pretty sure it's a sign that many Chinese athletes are rebelling against their sport federations that are almost parasitical in the fact that they take a gigantic chunk of the money that the skaters earn and force upon the athlete their schedule, their training hours, etc. And you think that the Chinese federation would listen to one of their athletes that is dependent upon their program, complaining about their birth date being changed? Obviously not.

vCash
    I'm not surprised, but wow, I wonder if this will get any press...

Banned Member
    vCash
    Whining from a bunch of typical white racist losers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dundas View Post
    Whining from a bunch of typical white racist losers.
    Well I'm quite sure that the Japanese and Korean federations might have something to say about the different rules for the Chinese federation. After all in 2006 Mao Asada and Yu-na Kim, could have won/medaled in Torino, but both federations followed the rules. Now sure Japan still got the OGM, but I'm sure 2 Olympic medals would have been better than one. And S. Korea was left without a single competitive figure skater at the Olympics.

Its not about "losing" as it is annoying and unfair to the federations who follow the rules. I'm sure the Russians would love to have Sotnikova compete at the Senior level right now too.

I was someone who was defending the Chinese "cheating for awhile" but somehow I saw the light during the Team Competition in Beijing. While I disagree with the age rules, its not right or fair that the age rules only apply to some and not to everyone.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast